Federation and Borg

The Next Generation
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Re: Federation and Borg

Post by Teaos »

Name me 5 galactic Civilisations that are that old.

1) Voth (Dont settle planets)

2) Borg (Dont really know hold old they are...)

3) ...
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Lazar
Captain
Captain

Post by Lazar »

The Iconians? They're dead, though. The Vulcans and Romulans seem to have had colonization abilities for at least 2 000 years. But as I've said in another thread, it's absurd to think that the Galaxy would go for a huge stretch of time devoid of civilizations, and then that hundreds of them would all spring up at exactly the same moment (i.e. within a few hundred, or a few thousand years). If you consider the extent of galactic history, and the lifespan of a star, then why would a warp-capable civilization have been any less likely to evolve ten thousand years ago, or a million years ago?

But we have no clue what the lifespan of a civilization would be, or what a really old civilization would look like.
"There was also a large horse in the room, taking up most of it."
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

Yeah doesnt make a lot of sense but it is canon.

The Galaxy doesnt have a lot of ancient races. If they do they are Q like.

In fact the Voth seem to be the only really old race out there.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Teaos wrote:2) Borg (Dont really know hold old they are...)
They've been noticeable for less than 1000 years - the Vadawaur in "Dragon's Teeth" remembered them as possesing "a handful" of systems.

There's also the Dominion - they're been around for millennia, and given their contiguous space and heavy firepower, they're possibly more powerful than the Borg.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Lt. Staplic
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral
Commendations: Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by Lt. Staplic »

idk, it'd be interesting to see what would happen there. The Jem'Hadar and Vorta could be assimilated with nanoprobes, but I don't think you'd be able to do that with a Founder, try and inject them and they'll just push it back out.
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Thing is, space is big. I really can't figure a way for any planet to truly be cut off like what's being suggested here.
Lt. Staplic
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Lt. Staplic »

well, imagine the map of the federation. Think of a planet in the middle of the area "owned" by the Feds. Obviously they have no where to expand, every nearby system is claimed by the Federation in all three deminsions.
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
Lazar
Captain
Captain

Post by Lazar »

Lt. Staplic wrote:idk, it'd be interesting to see what would happen there. The Jem'Hadar and Vorta could be assimilated with nanoprobes, but I don't think you'd be able to do that with a Founder, try and inject them and they'll just push it back out.
Ooh, there should be a fight between the Dominion and the Borg! :lol:

Do you think the Borg have consciously tried to avoid the GQ?
Lt. Staplic
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Lt. Staplic »

?
I don't think so, not really their style...they just haven't gotten there yet.
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Lt. Staplic wrote:well, imagine the map of the federation. Think of a planet in the middle of the area "owned" by the Feds. Obviously they have no where to expand, every nearby system is claimed by the Federation in all three deminsions.
They could simply petition the Feds for permission to pass through their space and establish colonies outside the Federation. Then negotiate passage between them.
Lt. Staplic
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Lt. Staplic »

which is entirely realistic...i was just giving an example of how a planet could be enveloped by the Federation.
Lazar
Captain
Captain

Post by Lazar »

Cpl Kendall wrote:They could simply petition the Feds for permission to pass through their space and establish colonies outside the Federation. Then negotiate passage between them.
But then they might be forced to travel hundreds of light years to establish their first colonies. :?
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Lazar wrote:
Cpl Kendall wrote:They could simply petition the Feds for permission to pass through their space and establish colonies outside the Federation. Then negotiate passage between them.
But then they might be forced to travel hundreds of light years to establish their first colonies. :?
If your totally surrounded, then WTH else are they supposed to do? They could do the WH40K thing and settle every asteroid and moon in the system, negotiate right of passage with the Feds or negotiate for an unused system in Federation space. Or just sign on and move onto various Federation worlds.
Lazar
Captain
Captain

Post by Lazar »

Colonies themselves would be an interesting thing to explore. How are they governed? What is their political evolution, and their level of autonomy? Are there multi-species colonies?
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Lazar wrote:Colonies themselves would be an interesting thing to explore. How are they governed? What is their political evolution, and their level of autonomy? Are there multi-species colonies?
Well from the looks of STIV, very few worlds get a seat on the council. So their probably governed by Earths government (just for an example), similar to how the Dominions where governed perhaps or the US protectorates?

I'm pretty sure we've seen multi-species colonies in TNG, whether they were formed like that or not, frag knows.