What Did Picard Do Between Commands?

The Next Generation
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Re: What Did Picard Do Between Commands?

Post by Aaron »

RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:
Because it eventually reaches a point where I honestly ask myself:

1. Am I watching the same show the others are?

2. Am I somehow... off for liking said show?

3. What do they actually like about Trek?
Entertainment is subjective, what I get out of Trek is not necassarily what you get out of it.
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Cpl Kendall wrote:
RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:
Because it eventually reaches a point where I honestly ask myself:

Entertainment is subjective, what I get out of Trek is not necassarily what you get out of it.
But sometimes I'm forced to wonder if anyone is actually getting anything out of Trek or if by now they're just watching it to find something to complain about. (Kinda like the gateworld.net Atlantis forums...really, why do some of them still watch the show?)
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

me,myself and I wrote: But sometimes I'm forced to wonder if anyone is actually getting anything out of Trek or if by now they're just watching it to find something to complain about. (Kinda like the gateworld.net Atlantis forums...really, why do some of them still watch the show?)

As I've said before you can liek something despite it's flaws. And there's only so much awesome stuff to talk about.
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Cpl Kendall wrote:
me,myself and I wrote: But sometimes I'm forced to wonder if anyone is actually getting anything out of Trek or if by now they're just watching it to find something to complain about. (Kinda like the gateworld.net Atlantis forums...really, why do some of them still watch the show?)

As I've said before you can liek something despite it's flaws. And there's only so much awesome stuff to talk about.
True enough. I hope no one here as reached the point of, "oo a new star trek. lets see what they can screw up this week." as opposed to "oo, a new star trek. let's see what they're gonna do..." and then later, "well they screwed that up." You know what I mean by the difference? Going in looking for flaws as opposed to going in to be entertained, expecting a good story, and finding the flaws later. Did that make sense?
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

me,myself and I wrote: True enough. I hope no one here as reached the point of, "oo a new star trek. lets see what they can screw up this week." as opposed to "oo, a new star trek. let's see what they're gonna do..." and then later, "well they screwed that up." You know what I mean by the difference? Going in looking for flaws as opposed to going in to be entertained, expecting a good story, and finding the flaws later. Did that make sense?
It made sense. Honestly, I only watch TOS on a regular basis. By the time VOY and ENT rolled around I was pretty burned out on Trek and was tuning in (for ENT) to see how bad it could be. That's mostly because everything they did had been done before though. Personally I only consider TOS to have any particualr moral message, which is what I hear Trek is famous for. And unfortunately for Trek, the viewing numbers go along with this. I certainly am not happy about Trek biting the dust but I am thankful that it didn't get dragged any lower.

You can kinda see what I'm talking about with the Clone Wars series for SW, with each new season or program it just gets crappier and crappier.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:Because it eventually reaches a point where I honestly ask myself:

I do wonder with some people whether they watch the show simply because they enjoy attacking how stupid it is in their eyes. Not that there's anything wrong with that I guess, there are things I've watched just to have a good laugh at them. Mystery Science Theater 3000 made a whole franchise out of it!

But in the end, other people's negative opinion of a particular episode or aspect of the show doesn't really impinge on my enjoyment. I like Star Trek, I like the Federation, I think Starfleet is a great organisation, and I love Starships. And anybody who differs is more than welcome to do so, it don't mean I am wrong to disagree. :)
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

GrahamKennedy wrote:
I do wonder with some people whether they watch the show simply because they enjoy attacking how stupid it is in their eyes. Not that there's anything wrong with that I guess, there are things I've watched just to have a good laugh at them. Mystery Science Theater 3000 made a whole franchise out of it!

But in the end, other people's negative opinion of a particular episode or aspect of the show doesn't really impinge on my enjoyment. I like Star Trek, I like the Federation, I think Starfleet is a great organisation, and I love Starships. And anybody who differs is more than welcome to do so, it don't mean I am wrong to disagree. :)
The nice thing about entertainment is that everyone gets something different out of it and it's kind of hard for someone to say with any validity; "your a tard cause you like Trek".
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Cpl Kendall wrote:

And there's only so much negative stuff to harp on. ;)
Lt. Staplic
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral
Commendations: Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by Lt. Staplic »

dang, he beat me to it.

well put GK.
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

Also remember, its far more fun to complain than support.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Teaos wrote:Also remember, its far more fun to complain than support.
I've found it to be the opposite, myself.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

I always liked a good bitch-fest, myself. :)

To be honest, I reached the "tune in just to see how bad it was" around season 2 of VOY, and have been stuck there ever since.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

I almost reached that with the Star Wars EU, but decided it was easier/cheaper to simply not buy the books/not read them/ declare everything past the YJK non-canon to me. I'm glad I never reached that with ST.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

There would come a point where I gave up, if I thought that way.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

I think there is a little bit of human nature which makes us far more likely to bitch about the negatives than crow about the positives, even when the positives outweigh the negatives. Good news doesn't sell papers. I prefer to think of it as a testament to 'Trek that we can find all the flaws we discuss, yet obviously still have enough love for the franchise to keep discussing it.

Personally, as much as I discuss the flaws in 'Trek, if I really disliked it I wouldn't bother spending the time discussing it at all.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer