DITL Battles rules review

Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

DITL Battles rules review

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Okay, I think our first game went smoothly enough. But before we start up the second match, does anyone have any concerns about the rules as they now stand? Are there any suggestions to new rules, or for changes to existing rules?
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: DITL Battles rules review

Post by Mark »

I'd like to see some rules included for effecively using tractor beams, transporters, other seconday systems in combat.

Also, to clear this up, is Staplic's ship the Defiant herself? (with cloaking device) or Defiant class (without one)?

That's all I can think of at the moment anyway :mrgreen:
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Mark wrote:I'd like to see some rules included for effecively using tractor beams, transporters, other seconday systems in combat.
I don't think it's worth it - after all, how many times have we seen such tactics used in Trek. Very, very rarely - one transporter use ("Dark Frontier") and two tractor beams ("The Battle" and "Way of the Warrior"), not counting the Borg. This suggests that (understandably) they're massively situation-dependant.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Mark wrote:I'd like to see some rules included for effecively using tractor beams, transporters, other seconday systems in combat.

Also, to clear this up, is Staplic's ship the Defiant herself? (with cloaking device) or Defiant class (without one)?

That's all I can think of at the moment anyway :mrgreen:
Or mayhaps even a Defiant class, with an illegal one. :shock:
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

I disagree, and here's why;

A tractor beam COULD be used to hold an enemy ship in position while pounding them (Starfleet Command I,II,&III).....or if you reverse the polarity and turn then into repeller beams, you could use them to deflect incoming torps.

Transporters may not be the best choice, but by beaming over a security contingent, you could effect some temporary penalties as the crew is distracted dealing with the "internal problems"

Shuttles could be used to draw an enemy's fire for a couple of rounds, or even be slightly effective against an unshielded section.

I do agree however, that it would lend another level of complexity to the game masters job. I don't know if Rochey, or Staplic later would WANT to implement these rules.
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Mark wrote:A tractor beam COULD be used to hold an enemy ship in position while pounding them (Starfleet Command I,II,&III).....or if you reverse the polarity and turn then into repeller beams, you could use them to deflect incoming torps.
In theory, yes. How many times have we see tractors used like this though? Once. Against an eighty-year-old heap of scrap, by the most powerful ship in the fleet, when they knew exactly what it was going to do.
Transporters may not be the best choice, but by beaming over a security contingent, you could effect some temporary penalties as the crew is distracted dealing with the "internal problems"
Two problems:

1) You've got to knock out the shields first, after which the enemy ship is a sitting duck to be pounded into scrap.

2) You then need to get your bording parties out before your opponent blows up.
Shuttles could be used to draw an enemy's fire for a couple of rounds, or even be slightly effective against an unshielded section.
This I agree with. It's not much firepower, given how weak they are, but drawing enemy fire would be very useful.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Presumably, the presence of jamming would stop transporters functioning. Hence why we never see them working. It'd be easy enough, I suppose, to make up rules for boarding actions nonetheless.
For example: X% of the ship's crew compliment are marines that can be used to board an enemy ship. Roll 1D3, this is how many times its number the boarding party kills on the enemy ship before being killed themselves. On the roll of a 6, the boarding party slaughter the defenders and take over a part of the ship for the duration of the next turn, at which point they're rooted out and killed. Transporters can't be used unless the shield section facing the enemy ship and the opposing shield section facing you are down.

I suppose we could make up rules for tractors. Eg, "fired" similar to phasers, allows the ship with the highest momentum (mass X speed) to tow the other at, say 1/4 full speed. Though I see little real use for such rules.

I see little use for such things. That said, it wouldn't be much of a burden to implement these rules. The tractor beam would just fall under the heading of another weapon, and the transporters would just require me to keep a tally of the crew numbers on both ships (easy enough). So if you really want, we can throw these rules in.

Perhaps we could make two rule sets. One which is just the set we had originaly (basic ship to ship combat), and one "advanced" set, including transporters, cloaks, tractors, etc.

And Staplic's ship is just a generic Defiant class.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

I'd like to propose as a future rule, any ship with more than double the maneuverability of the other should receive a -1 to hit bonus. We've seen the Defiant, Delta Flyer, and a lot of smaller vessels dodge fire on a number of occasions against larger ships.

The max should be -2 to hit, I think, for ships with more than three times the maneuverability.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

I'd agree with that.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

For the sake of ease of use, I'd leave out tractors and auxiliary craft. The benefits will probably be far overwhelmed by the unwieldiness of using them in game terms.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

I wouldnt bother with any of that extra stuff, to much trouble with to little reward.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Lt. Staplic
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral
Commendations: Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by Lt. Staplic »

my rule change which I propossed to Rochey earlier, is to have a sort of tierd system for calculating phaser damage:

below 1000TW multiply damage by 3

between 1000 and 10,000 TW multiply damage by 2

over 10,000 TW just does it's damage.

This should allow weaker phasers to actually have an effect, while keeping stronger ones from becoming god-like in power.
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

But that negates a pretty important fact, which is that for a given shield strength, a 10,000 TW phaser should do 10x as much damage as a 1,000 TW phaser.
as Bull offed Custer
Lt. Staplic
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral
Commendations: Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by Lt. Staplic »

the only time that's a necesity is if you have two differnt tiers like that. In wich case go with the lower ones multiplyer.

i.e. if you have two between 1000 and 10000 then it wouldn't matter that thier tired. it only matters if you have one person with 3000 TW and another one with 11000 TW, in which case go with the lower ones multiplyer, and multiply both of them by two when calculating damage.
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

If you're going to use the same multiplier for both, why bother with a multiplier at all? You're still going to have the same relative efficacy.
as Bull offed Custer