Please tell me this isn't true.

A place to hang out and chat about whatever
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Please tell me this isn't true.

Post by Sionnach Glic »

While browsing another site I came across this.
Funny, but quite depressing at the same time. I have quite a bit of respect for Americans (well, the smart ones anyway) but this is just sad to see.

Notable moments.
Labelling Australia as Iran, France and North Korea. All of which were identified as places to invade next.

"Who is Fidel Castro?"
"A singer?"

"What religion are Buddhist monks?"
"Islamic?"

I seriously hope this was a set up, but the reponses looked real. :(
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Go out onto the street and ask 500 people simple basic questions. Throw away the 490 clips where people get it right. Edit the other 10 together and present it as "wow, people are really stupid!"

It's a very easy way to be able to make whatever point you like.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

I know that, I'm simply expressing my disbelief that anyone could be this stupid. My faith in the planets future just dropped imensly.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Post by Bryan Moore »

No, Americans really are that stupid. I guarantee you if I were to ask my high school senior class these questions, I'd get answers just as insane. It's far more disturbing than it is funny, I assure you that. And people wonder how certain people get elected in this country, etc. It's because we are not in a society that values education or common sense in the slightest. And truthfully, we wonder why, as GWB would say in a rousing bit of bullshiat: "the terrorists hate our freedom"
Don't you hear my call, though you're many years away, don't you hear me calling you?
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Unfortunately, one of the side effects of all the great freedoms we have in the USA (and believe you me, I do love my country) is the freedom to be ignorant. When you are comparatively secure, well-fed, healthy, and free of the many troubles that citizens of many other nations face, there is no impetus to better yourself - and its a depressing situation.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

That doesn't seem to be side effect of freedoms but a side effect of a favourable economic situation. It makes sense, but it doen't explain why the US has developed a reputation for having a greater-than average proportion of numpties among nations with a similar standard of living.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
shran
Commander
Commander

Post by shran »

It gets worse. Though I have forgotten my sources, i bleieve one in 5 Americans believes the sun revolves around the Earth.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

shran wrote:It gets worse. Though I have forgotten my sources, i bleieve one in 5 Americans believes the sun revolves around the Earth.
:shock: I knew creationism was a problem in the States, but heliocentrism?! The mind boggles.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
shran
Commander
Commander

Post by shran »

Hell, on the net is even a flat earth society.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

There are further problems. The economic disparity found in the US of course promotes the "haves" and for the "have-nots," well, it both affors them less opportunities as well as discourages many from even trying to better themselves.

Our educational system is also an issue. I'm sure Mr. Moore could back this up, although he has older students; I speak from my wife's experiences as an elementary teacher. Schools need federal and state funding, as well as want to keep local (municipal) control. To ensure both matters, schools must show a certain level of achievement on standardized tests. Now, because this is so important to the school's continued "success," teachers are indirectly (and even sometimes directly) asked to "teach to the tests" - that is, instruct students on what they need to know to score well, not necessarily what they SHOULD know for life.

Teachers in the US receive tenure after a few years, which safeguards them from firing merely on the grounds of disagreement with an administrator over teaching style, etc. Unfortunately, it also precludes a school system from getting rid of unqualified teachers.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Varthikes
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Varthikes »

Captain Seafort wrote:
shran wrote:It gets worse. Though I have forgotten my sources, i bleieve one in 5 Americans believes the sun revolves around the Earth.
:shock: I knew creationism was a problem in the States, but heliocentrism?! The mind boggles.
Creation actually DOES make more sense than evolution, but I'm not going to get into a discussion of that here and now.

As for the vid.:

Dear Faranth... Those people, if it was real, were hilariously stupid.

Some people believe the landing on the moon was REINCARNATED in Arizona somewhere...

Berlin Wall was in Isreal.

Star Wars was based on a true story.
"What has been done has been done and cannot be undone."--Ruth, All the Weyrs of Pern
"Dragons can't change who they are, and who would want them to? Dragons are powerful, amazing creatures."--Hiccup, Dragons: Riders of Berk
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

They got at least one thing right though, Tony Blair is an actor. :wink:
Tiberius
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by Tiberius »

Varthikes wrote:Creation actually DOES make more sense than evolution, but I'm not going to get into a discussion of that here and now.
If you're interested in a discussion about that topic, I'll be more than happy to join it (from the other side :P).
Go and read my fan fic "The Hansen Diaries"! And leave comments!
MetalHead
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by MetalHead »

Tiberius wrote:
Varthikes wrote:Creation actually DOES make more sense than evolution, but I'm not going to get into a discussion of that here and now.
If you're interested in a discussion about that topic, I'll be more than happy to join it (from the other side :P).
Easy killers. No disrespect intended but DITL is hardly the place for that kinda discussion...Unless you want to say something like were the Borg CREATED? Or did they EVOLVE to their current state!? *gasp*
"Beware what you intend to say, those words will always make you pay." - Soilwork

Booze and Strippers!
Tiberius
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by Tiberius »

I dunno, I've been in similar discussions about this over in a Harry potter forum, and it's been pretty good actually. I think serious debates are okay. There's no rule that says DITL must be Trek only, we already have places for discussions about politics and such, why not religion as well. trust me, I'm not about to start a religion bashing thread. :P Just a discussion. Maybe a little heated, but certainly no bashing.
Go and read my fan fic "The Hansen Diaries"! And leave comments!