Snoopy's GCS fanboyism

The Next Generation
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Re: Snoopy's GCS fanboyism

Post by Aaron »

m52nickerson wrote:
Even in battleships size can be a detriment. There comes a point were two smaller ships would better fill the role of a larger ship. Very large ships become nothing more then large immobile target.
Yeah, that worked well for the Valiant didn't it?
m52nickerson
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by m52nickerson »

Cpl Kendall wrote: Wait, your arguing that a ship designed to assualt fixed installations (for which I would like proof) is not superior to the Galaxy?
Yes, the Negh'var is of course better at taking out installations, but it's lower maneuverability may allow a Galaxy to stay well out of those big gun's arcs, never letting them come into play. That is just in combat. How does the Nagh'var stack up in any think else? A ships usefulness in combat is not the end all measurement of worth.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day........beat that man to death........you have an extra fish.
m52nickerson
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by m52nickerson »

Cpl Kendall wrote:Yeah, that worked well for the Valiant didn't it?
Please a ship staffed by Kids! How many Larger Cardassan ships did the Defiant take out?

So here is a question, if the Galaxy class was a failure because it was a mult-role ship does that mean other designs that were multi-role such as the Constitution class were also failures?
Last edited by m52nickerson on Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day........beat that man to death........you have an extra fish.
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

m52nickerson wrote:
Yes, the Negh'var is of course better at taking out installations, but it's lower maneuverability may allow a Galaxy to stay well out of those big gun's arcs, never letting them come into play. That is just in combat. How does the Nagh'var stack up in any think else? A ships usefulness in combat is not the end all measurement of worth.
It is for a warship, which we know it is. We have not seen much of Klingons using their vessels to study space gas. As for the Negh'var class maneuverability, we see sweet fuck all of it doing anything but attacking the station. We have nothing to guage it's performance on. As for the Galaxy class, they spend virtually all of there combat time wallowing around. Which is to be expected, it is a large design with a fair amount of it's mass forward.
Please a ship staffed by Kids! How many Larger Cardassan ships did the Defiant take out?
KIds that were the cream of the academy crop, who had spent a year in a combat zone behind enemy lines. Unless you want to conceed that the Dominion military is staffed by morons of the highest order, you must admit that they knew what they were doing.
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

m52nickerson wrote:

So here is a question, if the Galaxy class was a failure because it was a mult-role ship does that mean other designs that were multi-role such as the Constitution class were also failures?
Perhaps you should direct that question to someone who is claiming that.
m52nickerson
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by m52nickerson »

Cpl Kendall wrote: It is for a warship, which we know it is. We have not seen much of Klingons using their vessels to study space gas. As for the Negh'var class maneuverability, we see sweet f**k all of it doing anything but attacking the station. We have nothing to guage it's performance on. As for the Galaxy class, they spend virtually all of there combat time wallowing around. Which is to be expected, it is a large design with a fair amount of it's mass forward.
The ones in the Dominion war were not wallowing!
Cpl Kendall wrote:KIds that were the cream of the academy crop, who had spent a year in a combat zone behind enemy lines. Unless you want to conceed that the Dominion military is staffed by morons of the highest order, you must admit that they knew what they were doing.
They were stupid enough to get close to a larger ship and fly directly in front of it eliminating there biggest advantage, maneuverability. They were also not smart enough to go back to Federation space.
m52nickerson
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by m52nickerson »

Cpl Kendall wrote:
m52nickerson wrote:

Perhaps you should direct that question to someone who is claiming that.
Sorry should have clarified, I was putting out as a general question.
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

m52nickerson wrote: The ones in the Dominion war were not wallowing!
Prove it.
They were stupid enough to get close to a larger ship and fly directly in front of it eliminating there biggest advantage, maneuverability. They were also not smart enough to go back to Federation space.
You do realise that they were restricted lo Warp 3.7 (or .2 can't quite remember)? That would make getting back to the Federation rather problematic and make excaping from a Dominion pursuit equally troublesome.

Edit: And IIRC their plan required them to get close enough to a certain section of the ships hull. At any rate, a well designed warship would have had all her arcs covered making approach by any vessel difficult. And I am not making a statement on the Dominion ship being an uber-awesome vessel but rather a general statement. I never bothered to note the firing arcs of anything but the bugs.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Cpl Kendall wrote:...As for the Negh'var class maneuverability, we see sweet f**k all of it doing anything but attacking the station...
Here's something. At 1:50 we see it pull a pretty nice turn to unleash on DS9. I'd honestly put it above the GCS in terms of maneuverability. It's clearly a dedicated warship, and would most likely roast a couple of Galaxy-class ships.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Tsukiyumi wrote:
Here's something. At 1:50 we see it pull a pretty nice turn to unleash on DS9. I'd honestly put it above the GCS in terms of maneuverability. It's clearly a dedicated warship, and would most likely roast a couple of Galaxy-class ships.
That is pretty decent. As an aside, was Martok saying he wanted to put Gowron in a headlock?
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Cpl Kendall wrote:
Tsukiyumi wrote:
That is pretty decent. As an aside, was Martok saying he wanted to put Gowron in a headlock?
I think he was asking where the head was. Or maybe he was coming on to him? I don't know. My Klingon is terrible.

:wink:
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
kostmayer
Captain
Captain

Post by kostmayer »

A Federation Starship is designed with at least some element of multiple roles in mind.

A Galaxy Class ship could, for example lose its large quarters, most of its recreational facilities and science labs, and anything else a Warship wouldn't need. If that freed up say, 50% of space, they could increase its combat capability and still end up with a smaller ship.

Klingon ships are designed with combat in mind, there's not much they can strip out so the only way to make one more powerful would be to increase its size.
Tsukiyumi wrote:I think he was asking where the head was. Or maybe he was coming on to him? I don't know. My Klingon is terrible.
Klingon head sounds dangerous - have you seen how sharp their females teeth are?
Last edited by kostmayer on Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
"You ain't gonna get off down the trail a mile or two, and go missing your wife or something, like our last cook done, are you?"
"My wife is in hell, where I sent her. She could make good biscuits, but her behavior was terrible."
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

kostmayer wrote:
Klingon ships are designed with combat in mind, there's not much they can strip out so the only way to make one more powerful would be to increase its size.
I've wanted to ask this for a while: How do these guys manage to function? I get that they are meant to be the Ubermensch of space warriors but did anyone else see the ENT episode Sleeping Dogs? The crew was essentially living in a latrine with livestock in the kitchen closet! And I don't know if any of you have ever slept on concrete but these guys must be masochists to live with the fragged up back their beds must cause.
m52nickerson
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by m52nickerson »

Tsukiyumi wrote:
Cpl Kendall wrote:...As for the Negh'var class maneuverability, we see sweet f**k all of it doing anything but attacking the station...
Wow a 15 degree turn, I'm impressed.
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

m52nickerson wrote:
Wow a 15 degree turn, I'm impressed.
If you've got something better than post it.

Edit: And with that I'm off for the night. Futurama won;t watch itself.