Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: ENT killer, ''Balance of Terror'?

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Cpl Kendall wrote:
Tsukiyumi wrote:
Could be worse.

It could end up as a sci-fi version of 90210. :?
I just want to avoid another man pregnancy episode.
No kidding. :lol:
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

In the case of ENT's issues, it hardly matters where the creative control rested - the end result of trampling canon was the same.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
mwhittington
Commander
Commander

Post by mwhittington »

Cpl Kendall wrote:
GrahamKennedy wrote:Every single time a new movie or series has been in the offing for the last twenty years, I've heard the same two things suggested as the idea they really want to do. A prequel, and Starfleet Academy.

In my humble opinion, both of those ideas suck balls. I shudder every time they are suggested.
I agree, ST has quite an established universe which makes it difficult to slot in a prequel without stepping all over the established canon, which limits the stories they can tell. And a SF Academy show, well that is just going to wind up being a sci-fi version of Saved by the Bell.
And Ethan Phillips would play Screech! :mrgreen:
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -Benjamin Franklin-
Victory is Life
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Victory is Life »

thelordharry wrote:So, if TOS 'Balance of Terror' had never been made (not advocating this, terrific episode!), would the whole of ENT made a whole lot more sense?

Honestly, I wonder how Trek was allowed to ever be placed in the hands of retards like berman and braga. I don't capitalize their names because they aren't even worth that. rick berman had such a rich and wonderful universe to play with. They could have done it right from the start and had a pre-daedalus class starship called the Lexington to set the history of Trek in motion the PROPER way, like address the earth-romulan war, which would have made entirely more sense than the xindi conflict arc. This entire serious infuriates the f_ck out of me. There were so many stories that could have been done, and NOT alienated the fans, it's like cutting your nose off despite your face. Putting Manny Coto at the helm from day one would have meant seven seasons, and captivated the imagination of fans and converts alike. Let's face it, he made a glorious fourth season out of a show that derailed Star Trek from its outset, imagine what he could have done at the helm from the beginning.

UGH! Gene Rodenberry is rolling in his grave. While some of the stories are compelling, I feel guilty waching it. It's like Trek's illegitimate bastard child. Trek would be far different today than it would have been if Enterprise had been called Star Trek: We Boldly Go, or Star Trek: The Final Frontier. And if it had been with a different ship. How could the supposed 'braintrust' at paramount have devised such a wayward strategem, spitting in the face of the fans who made the series the success that it once was.

I will curtail my diatribe by simply saying, I am optimistic about JJ Abrams and Star Trek this May. I am a devout Star Trek fan, and I, unlike some of you that doubt this movie and are so vocal about the visual changes and the minute, meaningless redesigns, am willing to grow up with the times. I mean, seriously, you are getting a budget of better than 160 Million USD, an all star cast, and a story that will surely fire the imagination and will doubtlessly be a visceral experience to be sure. Trek needs this 'appeals to all' story, and one that remains true to canon, much truer than Enterprise ever was. But I digress, I have yet to see the movie, but from what we have seen and heard from interviews, I am sure that JJ Abrams has remained truer to canon than berman ever was with Enterprise. :bangwall:
"You may win this war, Commander, but I promise you, by the time it's over, you will have lost so many ships, so many lives, that your "victory" will taste as bitter as defeat."
- Female Changeling
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Victory is Life wrote:*snip*
Gene picked them to run it after he left...
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Because they never pulled crap to that extent previously.
as Bull offed Custer
Victory is Life
Ensign
Ensign

Cpl Kendall wrote:
Victory is Life wrote:*snip*
Gene picked them to run it after he left...

I obviously know that. A decision I am sure the GBOTG regrets.
"You may win this war, Commander, but I promise you, by the time it's over, you will have lost so many ships, so many lives, that your "victory" will taste as bitter as defeat."
- Female Changeling
Victory is Life
Ensign
Ensign

Mikey wrote:Because they never pulled crap to that extent previously.
Seconded.
- Female Changeling
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Mikey wrote:Because they never pulled crap to that extent previously.
I'm not so sure, I hear that Rick Berman had run Cheers into the ground previously.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

I meant previously with a 'Trek franchise. He had actually been a pretty decent bastion of Roddenberry's vision until ENT.
as Bull offed Custer
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

Victory is Life wrote:UGH! Gene Rodenberry is rolling in his grave.
I sure hope not. In space there's no fiction to slow your movements so if he rocks that boat it won't stop! O.O
How many Minbari does it take to screw in a lightbulb?
None. They always surrender right before they finish the job and never tell you why.

-Remain Star Trek-
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Monroe wrote:in space there's no fiction
Well, maybe there will be some when Gene gets there. :)
as Bull offed Custer
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

*discussion of Superman's themes split to here.*
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939