BOP Bridge

The Original Series
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

BOP Bridge

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Has there ever been an explanation of the drastic change between the ST:III Klingon BOP bridge and the ST:IV bridge? I.E. How/Why they did it?
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: BOP Bridge

Post by Mark »

They changed the lighting and put in bucket seats??? :mrgreen:
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

And completely redid the floor plan. added consoles wher there weren't any, filled in the pit around the command chair, and completely redid the lighting and architecture of the bridge. Any possible I.U explanation?
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Wow, I'm honestly stumped on that one. Of course the same ship changes size by about 300% during the course of the movie, so...
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Went from this: Image (courtesy of DITL.org)
To this: Image also courtesy of Graham/Ian.
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

And became somehow big enough to carry 2 fully grown whales PLUS the water
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Kirk asked the Vulcans to refit it to a more familiar/practical layout and Sarek pressured them into cause they brought back Spock?
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Cpl Kendall wrote:Kirk asked the Vulcans to refit it to a more familiar/practical layout and Sarek pressured them into cause they brought back Spock?
That's my guess.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Cpl Kendall wrote:Kirk asked the Vulcans to refit it to a more familiar/practical layout and Sarek pressured them into cause they brought back Spock?
Closeout sale at Bridges-R-Us? :wink:
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

I wonder what ever happened to the body of Kruge's pet Targ, that died on the bridge. Did Kirk and company fly all the way to Vulcan from Genesis with a half cooked Targ on the bridge?
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Mark wrote:I wonder what ever happened to the body of Kruge's pet Targ, that died on the bridge. Did Kirk and company fly all the way to Vulcan from Genesis with a half cooked Targ on the bridge?
Well, I know I would've probably eaten it. Can't speak for the TOS crew, though. :wink:
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Nothing like a dead Targ on the bridge with its bowels relaxing in death, is there?
Lazar
Captain
Captain

Post by Lazar »

I guess the STIII bridge looked colder and more authoritarian (with the commander on a throne and his crew in a pit), whereas for STIV they wanted something that looked warmer and more familiar.

On a tenuously related note, was anyone else a bit underwhelmed by some of the Federation ship-of-the-week bridges from the TNG era? For example the Nebula, which is a sizeable ship that basically includes a complete Galaxy-class saucer, has a really small and unimpressive bridge. Wouldn't it make more sense for it just to have a regular Galaxy bridge? And the Ambassador, which was the dominant large ship of the mid 24th century - intermediate between Sulu's Excelsior and the E-D - seemed to have a really bare-bones and unimpressive bridge. I always thought, if they had made a whole series about the E-C, it totally would have had a more awesome looking bridge.
Last edited by Lazar on Tue Dec 09, 2008 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"There was also a large horse in the room, taking up most of it."
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

The problem with that theory is that Scotty was grumbling about the Klingon language in TVH. If the Vulcans had given it a refit you'd have thought they'd have put in some more user-friendly interfaces. I therefore think it's more likely that the bridge in TVH was a backup - perhaps the one in TSFS took more damage than was noticeable in the film, or Kirk simply prefered the backup with its more Federation-like design.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Lazar wrote: Nebula
Bernd doesn't allow hotlinking.