Technical Discussion Forum?

Discuss the site here - suggestions, comments, complaints, etc.
LaughingCheese
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Technical Discussion Forum?

Post by LaughingCheese »

Hi,

I don't see a technical discussion forum, do you just throw those topics in the general forum?

If not, I think it would be nice to have a specific Technical Discussion forum, perhaps under each series (Star Trek, Star Wars, Stargate, etc...), or a main tech thread with different levels, or a single tech thread for all sci-fi tech discussions.

Or do they simply go under the related categories?

Thanks

LC
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Re: Technical Discussion Forum?

Post by stitch626 »

We have currently just had such topics in their respective areas.
TOS tech in TOS, TNG in TNG, etc.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Yeah. I don't think there's really enough going on to warrent a new sub-forum, we've been rehashing mostly the same topics for quite a while now.
LaughingCheese
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by LaughingCheese »

stitch626 wrote:We have currently just had such topics in their respective areas.
TOS tech in TOS, TNG in TNG, etc.
Oh ok, thanks.
Cpl Kendall wrote:Yeah. I don't think there's really enough going on to warrent a new sub-forum, we've been rehashing mostly the same topics for quite a while now.
lol
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Yeah. Eventually you realize all the discussions on this board get technical if you give them enough time. :-) Also, they do not stay on topic more than 2 pages...3 may be a record. :lol:

Welcome to the board! I hope the other lurkers follow suit.
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
LaughingCheese
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by LaughingCheese »

me,myself and I wrote:Yeah. Eventually you realize all the discussions on this board get technical if you give them enough time. :-) Also, they do not stay on topic more than 2 pages...3 may be a record. :lol:
LOL...as evidence by my intro thread...left the topic on the second page lol.
Actually, I was registered a couple weeks or more before I posted.

So, if I was registered, does that make me a lurker? :D

lol

Before that though I would only visit the main site.

And thanks for the welcome! :)
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Aye, technical questions simply go under whatever series they're from. So, for example, if you want to talk about the E-Nill's speed, you'd post that in the TOS forum.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
LaughingCheese
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by LaughingCheese »

Rochey wrote:Aye, technical questions simply go under whatever series they're from. So, for example, if you want to talk about the E-Nill's speed, you'd post that in the TOS forum.
Oh, I guess what I meant was general Trek tech discussion. :?

Where would a general post go? I would probably put it in TNG...
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

What do you mean by "general"? You mean something that appears in all series (like the transporter)? That would go in the Books/Games/General section.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

If you want a general topic about Trek technology - like say "how do phasers work", it should go in the Trek section under Books / Games / General

If you want to discuss a general tech item for some other series - like say "why does Twikki go 'biddi biddi biddi' all the time", it should go in the Other Movies and TV Series section under Other / General.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
LaughingCheese
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by LaughingCheese »

Rochey wrote:What do you mean by "general"? You mean something that appears in all series (like the transporter)? That would go in the Books/Games/General section.
GrahamKennedy wrote:If you want a general topic about Trek technology - like say "how do phasers work", it should go in the Trek section under Books / Games / General

If you want to discuss a general tech item for some other series - like say "why does Twikki go 'biddi biddi biddi' all the time", it should go in the Other Movies and TV Series section under Other / General.
That's what I meant.

Thanks! :)

Oh, and funny you should mention 'how phasers work," I was gonig to post on them soon. Like in two weeks, when the semester's over, and after my thread about warp drive vs hyperdrive. :D

lol
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

and after my thread about warp drive vs hyperdrive.
Be aware that Vs discussions are banned on this site.
Lt. Staplic
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral
Commendations: Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by Lt. Staplic »

me,myself and I wrote:Yeah. Eventually you realize all the discussions on this board get technical if you give them enough time. :-) Also, they do not stay on topic more than 2 pages...3 may be a record. :lol:

On the contrary, one of my threads, (i can't remember which one right now) stayed on for about 4.5 pages!
8)
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

To add to what Rochey said: I don't think there is a problem discussing the operation of warp drive v. hyperdrive, for example; but when it gets to "Wars is better/Trek is better" it will be slapped down.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Similarly, it'd be perfectly acceptable to discuss, say, the speed of such devices provided they're kept in seperate threads. Whether one turns out to be greater than the other is fine, provided that it doesn't occur in the same thread.

Loopholes are fun, eh? :P