Why does everyone love the original TOS Enterprise so much?

The Original Series
LaughingCheese
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Why does everyone love the original TOS Enterprise so much?

Post by LaughingCheese »

Hi all, I've been lurking for a couple of weeks now and reading your thoughts on the look of the new movie and the new Enterprise and Kelvin.

Personally, I'm excited. There's already some stuff I disagree with (like the viewscreen being a window?!?!, seemingly pointless scenes etc), but I'm not a TOS Purist/Canon .

Oh, and what's so wrong with bald/tattooed Romulans? You don't think cultures other than our own would develop such a thing?

Anyway:

I grew up with TNG, and I'm used to all the sleek, high tech designs of today, so maybe its just a generational thing.

But still I wonder, why does everyone seem to love the plain white design of the original Enterprise?

I was always just forgive at as being due to the limited budgets they had back then.

TOS is in the 23rd century people, you don't think things would have looked a little more advanced?

I think the look of TOS is simply due to the fact that gadgets were big and clunky back then, and Roddenbary and the production crew were simply unaware of , but also no one could have imagined what gadgets would look like even 50 years later. So I just forgive them for that and count it as a factor of the times they lived in. Had they known, of course TOS would have a different look.

I don't want this to sound bad especially for my first post, I just don't understand why everyone loves the bland look of TOS aside from the fact that its a classic show.

COMMENCE DISCUSSION!!!!! :lol: :takecover:

Oh, and hi, and thanks to Graham Kennedy and the DITL staff for this awesome website.

Also, if anyone wants to work with me, I have some awesome ideas for this site or a site like it. But they will have to wait until I'm out of school, and/or I get Adobe Flash. XD

Oh, and I've been looking at the textures on the Kelvin and the other redesign of the TOS Enterprise and have been thinking of a compromise design that updates the look of the classic ship but keeps everything we love about it, and also makes the transition to the refit version seen in the TMP more believable. I'm only a novice er, so don't expect anything anytime soon. :p

EDIT: YES, we can edit titles!!!!!! I love forums that let you edit titles!!! W000000000!!!

Thanks

LC
kostmayer
Captain
Captain

Re: Why does everyone love the original TOS Enterprise so much?

Post by kostmayer »

Lurker - get him!

I agree that a lot of the technology seen in TOS has aready been surpassed - touch panels (though I prefer me buttons and knobs personally :) ), Captain Pikes chair (can you imagine Stephen Hawking having to communicate in Binary), computer tapes.. Its right that they should update aspects of Trek history to keep up with modern advances in technology.

It isn't that the updated Enterprise is different to the original - I just don't like all the changes. That Bridge is way too shiny - the main think I liked about the TOS movie era ships was the sense that they were still Naval vessels. They could have gone for something between the TOS Enterprise and the Movie ones.

(But keep the miniskirts)
"You ain't gonna get off down the trail a mile or two, and go missing your wife or something, like our last cook done, are you?"
"My wife is in hell, where I sent her. She could make good biscuits, but her behavior was terrible."
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

I have to somewhat agree with the OP.

I grew up on, (heaven forbid) Voyager, and i am somewhat used to the new modern-ness of it.

The main thing that i find annoying is the Romulans. But thats because i am a major Romulan fan, and seeing them desecrated in this way is PAINFUL. I mean, Nero looks more like a Reman.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Hi LaughingCheese, and welcome to the forum!

Personally I do love the TOS Enterprise. Ultimately it's just a personal preference, but I like it's not so sleek lines because it looks more utalitarian, more functional. It's like a Rolls Royce compared to the Ferrari that is the Enterprise-E.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

I'm a sucker for sleek and well designed lines. Why do i love Rommie ships so much? :P
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Welcome to the forum. :)
Oh, and what's so wrong with bald/tattooed Romulans? You don't think cultures other than our own would develop such a thing?
I don't, personaly, have a problem with it.
I grew up with TNG, and I'm used to all the sleek, high tech designs of today, so maybe its just a generational thing.

But still I wonder, why does everyone seem to love the plain white design of the original Enterprise?
We like the design of the original E because it's simple, functional and an effecient use of materials when you compare it to later designs. The Constitution class was designed for combat, ergo its design must be practical for combat.
Sure, there are still some major problems with the design (exposed bridge, nacelles out on struts, etc), but it's far ahead in terms of design than the vast majority of TNG era ships (notable exceptions being the Defiant and Akira classes).

Of course, in terms of design, the Miranda class wins out over the Connie any day.
TOS is in the 23rd century people, you don't think things would have looked a little more advanced?

I think the look of TOS is simply due to the fact that gadgets were big and clunky back then, and Roddenbary and the production crew were simply unaware of , but also no one could have imagined what gadgets would look like even 50 years later. So I just forgive them for that and count it as a factor of the times they lived in. Had they known, of course TOS would have a different look.
With regards to the internals and devices, yeah they're seriously outdated. Hopefully the new film will show us a more realistic Enterprise with properly up to date gadgets.
I don't want this to sound bad especially for my first post, I just don't understand why everyone loves the bland look of TOS aside from the fact that its a classic show.
You have to keep in mind that the majority of us don't like TOS because of its visuals. The visuals, quite frankly, suck. We like the show because of its great characters and stories.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

Although there is a small minority that dont like TOS full stop. A very very very small minority.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Oh, of course. I think we call those people "crazies". :P
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

meh, My house is already a psychiatric ward, so i fit in alright :D
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

I disagree with the title of this thread. Not everyone likes TOS. Infact some awesome people think it sucks juicy camels nuts.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

And as Rochey said, we call such people "crazies". :wink:
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

Teaos....you'd know that camel's nuts were juicy how? :shock:
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Reliant121 wrote:Teaos....you'd know that camel's nuts were juicy how? :shock:
Sheep, camel, whatever. :wink:

I don't mind the update at all. As long as the story is good, and the character interactions are believable, I'm already sold.

Plus, we get to see stuff blow up. :)
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

Tsukiyumi wrote:
Reliant121 wrote:Teaos....you'd know that camel's nuts were juicy how? :shock:
Sheep, camel, whatever. :wink:
I knew that was coming :D
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Come on, everyone knows that camel's retain water...