4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: News on next STXI Trailer

Post by Mark »

I just found this Abrams interview at a link off of www.startrek.com

Abrams Describes Trailer Scenes
By T'Bonz
November 19, 2008 - 8:59 PM
In the past few days, the new trailer for Star Trek XI has been discussed and questions have been raised by fans, but some of these questions may have been answered recently by comments from Star Trek XI Director J.J. Abrams on some of the scenes in the trailer.

As reported by Empire, since the release of the Star Trek XI trailer, fans have discussed, picked over, argued about and questioned various elements from the new trailer but fans have been given some explanations with the comments included with thirty-one different photos from the trailer.

Abrams began with the initial scenes of a young Kirk riding in the Corvette and on the motorbike. "The idea with the trailer was to start with something unexpected and Earth-bound and then thrust you into the world of Trek. The scenes on Earth were important to feel a sense of future but also a real sense of now as well. Star Wars is a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away but Star Trek is our future, so it's important that we not feel disconnected from that. There are a couple of sequences that take place in Iowa and some in San Francisco and it was just important that the movie feel connected to familiar terrain before it became about things that you more might expect."

The fate of both the USS Kelvin and James T. Kirk's parents was explained. "The USS Kelvin, the ship upon which Kirk's parents serve. It (and they) meet a sticky end at the beginning of the film at the hands of Nero." The fate of the USS Kelvin is not surprising when Abrams reveals that "We know from the preview footage that [Nero's shadowy vessel] manages to take down forty-seven Klingon Warbirds single-handedly."

And Nero's background is explained too. "Nero in rags being manhandled by Klingon guards (yes, they're Klingons under the masks). "Part of Nero's back story is that he was being held in a Klingon prison, so that's what you're seeing here."

Several comments were about crew members. "Hikaru Sulu lays into Romulan soldiers with his extendable pocket katana," says Abrams. He goes on to praise Anton Yelchin as Chekov and explains the "w" for "v" usage. "He's from Russia originally and one of our early discussions was that they don't transpose 'w' and 'v'; that's not a Russian thing. In fact it's more a Polish thing. But I was like 'I think we have to do it anyway'. It's so what you know with Chekov so we kept what had come before." Finally, the Uhura dressing scene is explained. "This is a very funny scene where Kirk is in Uhura's room, watching her undress, and she very quickly realizes he's there."
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Sounds good to me. Even the Uhura stripping scene isn't just some eye-candy filler. That sounds like something young Kirk would do. :)

Oh, and the 47 warbirds thing: Nero (and presumably his ship) are from the post-Nemesis era. I could see the E-E plowing through 50 pre-TOS Klingon ships with no problem. :twisted:
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

me,myself and I wrote:
Teaos wrote:I have a sudden horrible feeling that when they launch the E-nil from Ground to space they are going to do a horribly long scene ala - TMP.
Hey I liked that seen!
I love it to, its a great way to go to sleep.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

The Abrams interview wrote:'I think we have to do it anyway'
That's a very reassuring sign.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

The fate of both the USS Kelvin and James T. Kirk's parents was explained. "The USS Kelvin, the ship upon which Kirk's parents serve. It (and they) meet a sticky end at the beginning of the film at the hands of Nero." The fate of the USS Kelvin is not surprising when Abrams reveals that "We know from the preview footage that [Nero's shadowy vessel] manages to take down forty-seven Klingon Warbirds single-handedly."
Nice, we have a motive for Kirk wanting to take revenge on Nero. That alone ensures the villain will be better than Shinzon.

And 47 Warbirds? I'm looking forward to seeing that.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Grundig
Commander
Commander

Post by Grundig »

Eh, I dunno. 49 seems much more accurate.
"I have nothing to say, I am saying it, and that is poetry."
John Cage
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Rochey wrote:Nice, we have a motive for Kirk wanting to take revenge on Nero. That alone ensures the villain will be better than Shinzon.
Not very difficult you must admit. Why oh why couldn't they have simply used Sela in Nemesis? An established character, pre-made rivalry, the fact that she's Tasha's daughter, the works. She could have rivaled Khan.
And 47 Warbirds? I'm looking forward to seeing that.
Good to see they're paying attention to the finest of details. :lol:
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

I think the Sela idea as Romulan commander would have been awesome. Or maybe, Commander Tomalak? (i cant remember what happened to him)
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Reliant121 wrote:I think the Sela idea as Romulan commander would have been awesome. Or maybe, Commander Tomalak? (i cant remember what happened to him)
Andreas Katsulas (also G'Kar on B5) died, though he was still alive when they made Nemesis. He would've been great.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
kostmayer
Captain
Captain

Post by kostmayer »

Can't imagine Picard having too many regrets about impaling Tomalok. He could of made a good cameo appearence as one of the Senators.

Sela would have been good enemy for him. Picard did cause her existence, and subsequently the Klingon Civil War (wonder what happened to all the other Enterprise C survivors).
"You ain't gonna get off down the trail a mile or two, and go missing your wife or something, like our last cook done, are you?"
"My wife is in hell, where I sent her. She could make good biscuits, but her behavior was terrible."
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

kostmayer wrote:wonder what happened to all the other Enterprise C survivors
There you go. An interesting basic plot for Star Trek X right off the bat. Better than trying to mash together II and VI, and fucking the whole thing up horribly.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

God, SOOOOO true. The whole thing could have been centered around one of the most popular things to happen in TNG.
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

And could have made a great movie. But alas, those in charge were not bright.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Apparently Denise Crosby did talk to either Baird or Logan about putting in an appearence but they "couldn't find a way to fit Sela in." :bangwall:
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."