News on next STXI Trailer

Discussion of the new run of Star Trek XI+ movies and any spinoffs
JudgeKing
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

News on next STXI Trailer

Post by JudgeKing »

Source
Hey there, long time Paramount employee here. Th ey showed the new trailer for JJ Abrams Star Trek yesterday over at the Paramount theatre. It ran every 15 minutes and all employees were encouraged to go see it. Thought you'd like a little info.

The trailer starts by showing a mid-60's Corvette convertible tearing across the country side. After a few seconds we see a long shot that shows a policeman in hot pursuit. Another long shot shows the Vette screaming at full speed toward a steep cliff. A slo-mo shot shows the driver leaping from the car at the last second and tumbling ass over teakettle toward the edge of the cliff itself. The driver is a young boy who looks about 13 or 14. He manages to grab a hold at the last second and hang on as a birds eye shot show the antique Vette fall away into an abyss.

We see the boy get up and dust himself off and the camera cuts away to show a troopers boot come down close-up. The black leather boot is obviously the policeman's who was chasing the car but it looks suspiciously "different." Just different enough to let the audience know this isn't a normal policeman. The shot then cuts to where we can see the policeman standing in front of the boy with his "bike" hovering in mid air a few feet beside him. He shouts at the boy, "Who are you?" or "What's your name?" and the boy shouts back defiantly, "James Tiberius Kirk!"

We're then treated to another long shot showing an older boy riding a hover bike similar to the one the policeman was shown riding a moment or two before thru the country side . We hear a voice over of an older man, presumable Kirk's father saying, "You never found yourself here, you never really fit in." The voice continues as the bike rider pulls up and stops and looks off into the distance, "What you choose to do with you're life is up to you." We see the boy starring at a huge futuristic structure (Star Fleet headquarters?) as the voice over continues, "Maybe you were meant for something different, something....bigger."

It then cuts to scene of an obvious Vulcan woman holding a baby. Again we hear a voice over of the woman saying, "You will always be a part of two worlds." as we cut to a toddler Spock walking in a Vulcan robe. The boy has the Beatles hair cut and pointed ears we associate with Vulcan's throughout Star Trek history. We then see a bunch a quick shots of the crew walking around the bridge of some starship and we see a 20-something Spock angrily pointing at a 20-something Kirk and saying, "I will not be lectured by you!" and an angry Kirk getting in Spocks face saying, "Why don't you do something about it!?!" We then see an enraged Spock trying to stab Kirk with something pointed I couldn't quite make out. It was a quick shot and Kirk is shown using both hands to fend off Spock and hold the object away from his face.

Several quick cuts are shown of space ships firing at one another and people being thrown about the bridge of whatever ship they're suppose to be in. We see crew members running down bright white corridors as another voice over with a Scottish accent says, "I'm having fun!" We then see a close-up of what had to be a young(er) Dr. McCoy with about a weeks worth of black stubble on his face and his arms crossed in that oh so familiar Bones manner saying angrily, "Space isn't suppose to be fun, it's aliens and phasers and death!" We also see a woman in silhouette (Uhura?) pulling off her top and scenes of the crew running to man their battle stations on a bridge.

We then see a bunch of battle shots of space ships being hit by phaser fire and pieces being blown off of them while engine nacels explode before it all ends with the familar Star Fleet logo against a black background and we hear the familar Star Trek opening cords played over it and the release date appears underneath.

I can't vouch for every line of dialog I quoted as being 100% accurate, the cuts were very quick and I only sat through the trailer once but that's the basics. The colors of the corridors and the uniforms was very bright, everything had a "new" appearance. No doubt some of the shots were meant to represent Star Fleet academy training exercises and not real life combat scenes though again, it all went by pretty quick.
I can't wait for the trailer to appear.
There is not a problem in this world that can't be solved without the proper application of a sufficient number of thermonuclear ordnance.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Re: News on next STXI Trailer

Post by Teaos »

Just when you think things cant get any worse...

Hover bikes... FUCKING hover bikes?!?!?! What is this a shitty 60's movie... well it kinda is when you think about it.

I also find it pathetic that the only main female character in the show was given a brief clip that only involved her getting undressed. Way to keep it high brow guys! We all know how well putting random sexual situations into a show works. It did wonders for ENT... oh wait.

I also dislike the idea what Kirk was desitined for greatness. Heroes arent born, they're created.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Okay, that sounds like one shitty trailer.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Teaos wrote:Hover bikes... f***ing hover bikes?!?!?! What is this a shitty 60's movie... well it kinda is when you think about it.
No worse than having blinking lights on everything. Besides, hover bikes are cool. :)
I also dislike the idea what Kirk was desitined for greatness. Heroes arent born, they're created.
While it's true that great men need training and opportunity to fulfill their potential, all the training and opportunity in the world (or galaxy) won't make a hero out of someone who doesn't already have a natural talent for their role.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

I'm with Seafort on that last point. Mix of what they get when born and how they are trained.

As for the rest, we are only seeing it through the eyes of one person. I never judge anything until I actually see it, otherwise I am only making their judgements, not my own.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
JudgeKing
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by JudgeKing »

I'd want to see the trailer because it's the only way to judge it.
There is not a problem in this world that can't be solved without the proper application of a sufficient number of thermonuclear ordnance.
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Captain Picard's Hair »

Eh, the story will be much more important than the use of hokey things like hover bikes in the big picture. Really, this is just a reinforcement of the theme of how the iconic crew came together - the film's execution of this we won't know anything about really until we see the damn film.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wonderous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross... but it's not for the timid." Q, Q Who
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

I want a hoverbike. :P
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Hoverbike? I'm still waiting for a hoverboard, from Back to the Future II
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Mark wrote:Hoverbike? I'm still waiting for a hoverboard, from Back to the Future II
That's exactly what I was thinking when I wrote that. :lol:
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

:laughroll:

Nice
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

I like the hoverbike idea. As far as I recall, we'd literally never seen a wheeled vehicle in Trek up until the silly Argo jeep thing. They've never said it, but the implication has always been that Agrav units had pretty much rendered wheeled vehicles of any kind obsolete. A floating bike returns to that idea, which is nice.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Well, we have a reference to hover-cars in VOY's The 37's, so hover-bikes aren't that surprising to see.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

I have to say that whatever interest (or disinterest) I may have in this film is based in no way on the trailers.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer