Voyager degradation and her trip home

Voyager
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Voyager degradation and her trip home

Post by Captain Picard's Hair »

If Voyager had to get home "the old fashioned way," could she have made it? This has become a more interesting question in light of what's being discussed right now in this thread regarding the degradation of Voyager's maximum speed from 3000c (Sustainable) in "Scorpion" to 1600c in "Friendship One" due to damage caused by battle and general wear both, without having the opportunity for regular maintenance. This was probably discussed somewhere, though I can't find a thread titled so; in any event we now have concrete numbers to throw around thanks to Seafort, which are alarming indeed. Voyager's stated 'maximum warp" was nearly halved according to canon evidence, in just a few years out of a journey estimated to take 70.

Indeed, it's a miracle Voyager was as in the shape she was in by the end, after all the battles she engaged in and the various phenomena of the week that tried to tear her apart, etc. She proved to be quite sturdy but eventually she's got to stall at the side of the proverbial highway. What might Voyager done in such an event? Also, this result does make the figure of 70 years look dubious - an idealization which has been blown to bits by this evidence. The matter of her becoming a generation ship is more than settled, and more than likely a cobbled together ship bearing little resemblance to the original Voyager by the end if she did slog it home. Indeed, given how long it would have realistically taken Voyager to reach home, the fact that the original crew would be dead by then (and Tuvok loony from his mental disorder if still alive), and the next-generation crew would have never known the Federation - would this not cement the idea that the crew should have laid down roots in the DQ?

Of course, we knew from the start that there would have to be some kind of funny business needed to get Voyager home within the run of the series. This demonstration of the realistic decay of the ship just reinforces the point.

EDIT: fixed title before Teaos got to it :)
Last edited by Captain Picard's Hair on Sun Oct 26, 2008 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wonderous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross... but it's not for the timid." Q, Q Who
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Re: Voyager degradation and her ttip home

Post by stitch626 »

I honestly feel that Voyager would not have survived the trip home if it did take the initial 70yrs. Too much successive damage that would build up over time.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

VOY shouldn't have made it the seven years it did without serious damage. I doubt it'd last seventy.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Rochey wrote:VOY shouldn't have made it the seven years it did without serious damage.
It didn't, but they had their Magic Reset ButtonTM to solve all their problems. :roll:

Nonetheless, even assuming that they were capable of the large-scale refits rountinely carried out, sooner or later they'd have run into a Year of Hell without the opportunity of reset buttoning the damage away.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Re: Voyager degradation and her trip home

Post by Captain Picard's Hair »

Hell, this SHOULD have happened when they ran across the Borg - but that's another issue that's been well discussed... :Q
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wonderous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross... but it's not for the timid." Q, Q Who
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

If they had just stayed the hell out of everyone's way and just stayed a straight course home then I think they could have made it. Voy is too blame for most of the harm to come its way.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Deepcrush wrote:If they had just stayed the hell out of everyone's way and just stayed a straight course home then I think they could have made it. Voy is too blame for most of the harm to come its way.
That's assuming they could keep out of everyone's way - even taking efforts to avoid known hostile species, sooner or later they'd bump into someone they hadn't heard about. There's also your usual wear and tear to consider - without a starbase refit the ship would, eventually, fall apart from simple use.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

And then there is the anomaly of the weeks that they just run into with no warning.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Or the ones they actively go hunting for.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

All they'd have to do is stay alive long enough for the UFP to come out with its warp 10 tech... Seeing how AGT-ED had 13, I'd say give them 30 or 40 years and they'd be fine. Though, by then all the kids on board would have killed off their parents for being so stupid and settled a world of their own. Much like the lost Defiant crew.
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

:roll: :laughroll:
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Hey, if it happens in Trek it must be possible.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

There's the slight problem with actualy getting this Warp 13 ship to find VOY. Maybe you hadn't noticed, but space is fairly big. :P
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Rochey wrote:There's the slight problem with actualy getting this Warp 13 ship to find VOY. Maybe you hadn't noticed, but space is fairly big. :P
Been reading up on it in the Guide? :lol:
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Heh, that was actualy just a coincidence. :lol: