Stats of the All Good Things Galaxy-class?

The Next Generation
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: Stats of the All Good Things Galaxy-class?

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Rochey wrote:You would, but there it is. Presumably the ship was given heavy shields due to the amount of injured it may be carrying through combat zones.
That makes a lot of sense.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Captain Picard's Hair »

Heh, momentarily forgot why the Klingons were there to begin with :lol:

There would be no 'honor' in whooping the butts of a bunch of unarmed doctors, indeed.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wonderous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross... but it's not for the timid." Q, Q Who
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Remember that for the Klingons, the greatest honor is victory no matter the opponent. They lay in wait for resuce ships, board any ship and take joy in the killing of its crew no matter what type of ship or crew it is and will even drink to killing a helpless crewman just because it was fun. The Pastuer wasn't a ship able enough to fight the Klingons even with their shields down. The Klingons are prone to being over zelous in their actions.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Aye, I don't tihnk they'd have had any problems with massacering lightly armed civilians.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Even Odo warned Bashir about how his being a doctor wouldn't save him or those under his care. The klingons would be perfectly happy to kill them in their beds.
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Ich. I once again submit to the myth of Klingon honor; do as I say not as I do indeed. :doh:
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wonderous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross... but it's not for the timid." Q, Q Who
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Remember, they have a different concept of honour than us. They think that any action that brings victory is honourable.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

Though there are some who do not find honor with killing someone who will not fight back. But in general, victory is what brings honor.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Victory doesn't bring honor for Klingons. Victory IS honor for Klingons.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

Klingons can have honour in Defeat... so long as they die against increadable odds.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

I think just dying in combat in general is considered honourable. Dying against extreme odds is just considered specialy honourable.
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

It just seems that "real" Klingon honor is different than the proverbial press clippings. There's also what [Jadzia] Dax was discussing with Worf at one point late in DS9 about the decline of the KE to consider; even in TNG, "Rightful Heir" we see it stated that Klingons had "lost" their sense of honor.
kostmayer
Captain
Captain

Post by kostmayer »

Its been mentioned numerous times before, but the Klingons and the Romulans seemed to undergo a role reversal between TOS and TNG.

In TOS, the Romulans were honorable and the Klingons the sneaky types - in TNG they were the other way round.
"You ain't gonna get off down the trail a mile or two, and go missing your wife or something, like our last cook done, are you?"
"My wife is in hell, where I sent her. She could make good biscuits, but her behavior was terrible."
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Yeah, but neither of them were as bad as the TNG era Klingons.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Without trying to resort to the "space viking" stereotype, I always saw "typical" Klingon attitudes toward honor as similar to what a Norseman would consider as enabling him to enter Valhalla.

As to the Pasteur's shield performance in AGT - this is a fictional future timeline, remember? Her shields may not have been terribly good compared to UFP norms, but the Federation SOTA may be well ahead of the klingons by this point.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer