William Shatner's Novels

Trek Books, Games and General chat
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

William Shatner's Novels

Post by Bryan Moore »

Who has read some of them? Is it just me or are they pretty bad? How many liberties can you possibly take with continuity and even basic logical plot set ups. Is it really likely that everyone from the Enterprise is still alive at age 150?! I mean geezus. And if you've ever heard their books on tape, its great. Shatner makes no effort to correctly pronounce various words, so they sound just odd. "Tetryon" as "tet-RYE-own" "Bashir" was "Ba-shire" "Basheer" and "Bashur"
Don't you hear my call, though you're many years away, don't you hear me calling you?
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: William Shatner's Novels

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Never read 'em, on the advice of a friend.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Post by Bryan Moore »

It was good advice. Very self-indulgent toward's Kirk's character, and paints a really weird picture of things. I'd almost say they could be justified as being a slightly altered timeline due to the Nexus or something. It's not wholly illogical writing, but much of what's been written has been contradicted in First Contact through Nemesis, yet Shatner/Reese-Stevens have gone along as if the Shatner timeline was correct. The Borg lived on V'Ger's planet and were largely destroyed (a year before First Contact came out), McCoy's a cyborg, Spock is assassinated/resurrected. Just weird stuff.
Don't you hear my call, though you're many years away, don't you hear me calling you?
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

I tried to read one, but it was just scenes of Kirk going around beating the TNG characters up for some strange reason. For like five chapters in a row, somebody from TNG would be doing something, then a guy would show up and beat them at it, and it would turn out to be Kirk. When Kirk beat Worf in hand to hand fighting I just gave up on it. I think Kirk is as awesome as the next guy, but there comes a point where it's just silly.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
KuvahMagh
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by KuvahMagh »

I don't know about his novels, the only thing I've read by him are his Memories books which seemed fine, though I have no doubt they are screwed by his involvement as would be expected. I do know that his Music, while generally maligned by the public, is pretty good if you listen to what he is actually saying, particularly on 'Has Been'.
There may be times when we are powerless to prevent injustice, but there must never be a time when we fail to protest.
-Elie Wiesel

Dreaming in Color Living in Black and White, Sitting in a Grey Day Leaning on a Bright New Tomorrow.
-Billy Ray Cyrus
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Well, seems my friend's advice was justified.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Sounds like Denny Crain's been writing. :P
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

The VERY first one wasn't to bad, before it got involved with TNG, but after that :roll:
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
KuvahMagh
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by KuvahMagh »

Has anyone read his Tek stuff, does that suffer from the same problems or did he step back from that and write it 'properly'?
There may be times when we are powerless to prevent injustice, but there must never be a time when we fail to protest.
-Elie Wiesel

Dreaming in Color Living in Black and White, Sitting in a Grey Day Leaning on a Bright New Tomorrow.
-Billy Ray Cyrus
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

I had a friend that was really into his Tek stuff. He said it was awsome. I caught a couple episodes of the mini series, and remember thinking it was ok, but I wasn't overly impressed.
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Post by Bryan Moore »

Mark wrote:I had a friend that was really into his Tek stuff. He said it was awsome. I caught a couple episodes of the mini series, and remember thinking it was ok, but I wasn't overly impressed.
Miniseries?
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

What miniseries is this? :?
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

William Shatner's TekWar series. The four TV movies (miniseries) had better production values, IIRC.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

Never bothered with them since they are apparently total crap.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Had some content of interest, IIRC.