Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

EP Discussion: SG1 1.21 "Within the Serpent's Grasp"

Post by Varthikes »

Stargate: SG-1
"Within the Serpent's Grasp"

Season 1's finale.

With the Stargate Program being shutdown, the team violates orders and goes through to the coordinates that Dr. Jackson got two episodes earlier to prevent the Goa'uld invasion that had occurred in the alternate reality.

I like how the previous two episodes are spent leading up to this point. And, that the writers bring us back to the series' main storyline--at least, the main storyline for this point of the series.

The episode brings back some elements from the pilot and others that were introduced during the first season: Skaara, Ferreti, the over all Goa'uld theme, the Ha'tak-class vessels, the death gliders, the sarcophagi... And, we're introduced to others that will become common as the series progresses: the zat-guns, the telly-balls ("You think it gets showtime?" :lol: ), hyperspace technology, a ship-board stargate... I'm trying to think if this is the first use of C-4 in the series, or was it used the pilot?

And, the scene at the beginning where the team is deciding whether or not to go ahead and disobey orders... You know that they're all going to go, but I like that they have Carter hesitate. That the characters are aware of the consequences of such an action if they're caught.

Oh, yeah. This is the first time Teal'c is presented to Apophis as a gift--something that happen frequently as the series goes on. It'd be interesting to tally up just how many times this happens between now and Season 5. :D

Well, that's Season 1.
"What has been done has been done and cannot be undone."--Ruth, All the Weyrs of Pern
"Dragons can't change who they are, and who would want them to? Dragons are powerful, amazing creatures."--Hiccup, Dragons: Riders of Berk
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: EP Discussion: SG1 1.21 "Within the Serpent's Grasp"

Post by Sionnach Glic »

One thing I love about this show is that earlier episodes that often seem of little importance at the time turn out to be the key to much larger events down the road.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Varthikes
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Varthikes »

Indeed. It shows that writers really paid attention to each other's work as well as their own and did their homework--unlike certain writers of a certain franchise I could mention. :roll:
"What has been done has been done and cannot be undone."--Ruth, All the Weyrs of Pern
"Dragons can't change who they are, and who would want them to? Dragons are powerful, amazing creatures."--Hiccup, Dragons: Riders of Berk
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Indeed.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Great continuity.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Aye, they could teach some other shows a thing or two on the topic.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Rochey wrote:Aye, they could teach some other shows a thing or two on the topic.
SG-1 could teach other shows a thing or two on several topics. Such as not taking yourself too seriously, and what constitutes a half-way competent military.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Indeed.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Pun intended? :wink:
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Of course. :wink: