War of the Week VIII: Cardassians vs Romulans

Deep Space Nine
SuperSaiyaMan12
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

War of the Week VIII: Cardassians vs Romulans

Post by SuperSaiyaMan12 »

Who wins and why? Both are at their peak of the 24th Century.
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Re: War of the Week VIII: Cardassians vs Romulans

Post by Reliant121 »

have we not had this before?

I believe the Romulans did fairly well.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Romulans easilly.

Firepower: A full volley from a D'Deridex can bring a GCS's shields down by 70%. A Galor can't do significant damage against a GCS or Nebula even when they're unshielded.

Protection: A D'Deridex's shields are roughly equivalent to a Nebula's. Galors are routinely ripped apart by Fed ships in seconds flat.

Mobility: D'Deridexes have a top speed of about 4.5 kc, slower than the GCS. The top speed of Cardassian ships is unknown, although it's likely to be roughly equivalent to the ships of the other major powers.

The only serious issue is ground combat. The Cardassians have the best army seen or mentioned in Trek, while the Romulans are an unknown quantity. Overall, they're probably about as "good" as the Feds, as the Klingons(!) were given the job of physically assaulting the planets of the Chin'toka system.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Reliant121 wrote:have we not had this before?

I believe the Romulans did fairly well.
Deep and me had a bit of a set-to on the subject a few weeks ago, but we haven't had a set-piece WotW.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

Ah i see.

all good points, and all agreed with.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Again, another WotW without any show of thought used in it.

WotW should have information on why the war has started or what changes are being made to cannon. Also, who is involved, why and what are the goals of each side in the war.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
KuvahMagh
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by KuvahMagh »

Deepcrush wrote:Again, another WotW without any show of thought used in it.

WotW should have information on why the war has started or what changes are being made to cannon. Also, who is involved, why and what are the goals of each side in the war.
I was thinking that myself, I mean the terms of this are so open, Each at their peak could put the Cardies in the Dominion really.
There may be times when we are powerless to prevent injustice, but there must never be a time when we fail to protest.
-Elie Wiesel

Dreaming in Color Living in Black and White, Sitting in a Grey Day Leaning on a Bright New Tomorrow.
-Billy Ray Cyrus
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

Yeah when I first started WotW's about a year ago i always gave a senario to put it into context.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Unless the OP states otherwise, I always assume the WotW to be an all-out effort to conquer the other power. In this case it doesn't really matter - the Romulans' advantage is so great that the Cardies can't even force a stalemate.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Agreed. I always assume the scenario is both sides declared war on each other at the same moment, and went on a kill or be killed assault against the enemy.

In which case the Romulans win neatly, for all the reasons Seafort laid out.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Agreed. Unless there is some stipulation which puts the Rommies at a disadvantage, this one wouldn't even be close.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
KuvahMagh
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by KuvahMagh »

Both are at their peak of the 24th Century.
So the Cardassians are a part of the Dominion which then has a Fleet Base in the AQ/BQ, in this case the Dominion (Cardassians) Win.

Or is their peak when they have conquered Bajor before the Resistance began in earnest?

Or maybe it is when they force the Federation to swallow the Treaty and have enough leverage to force the Feds into turning a blind eye to what they are doing.

This is a very broad stipulation and could cover pretty much anytime in the 100 years other than when the Klingons kicked their asses. Maybe their peak was sometime prior to what we have seen when the Romulans were isolationists, during this period they may have crap ships. There needs to be a set time frame, this lacks that and so it is nearly impossible to work out for sure since you don't even know which point in this 100 year span we are talking about.
There may be times when we are powerless to prevent injustice, but there must never be a time when we fail to protest.
-Elie Wiesel

Dreaming in Color Living in Black and White, Sitting in a Grey Day Leaning on a Bright New Tomorrow.
-Billy Ray Cyrus