The Borg.....Better or Worse

The Next Generation
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: The Borg.....Better or Worse

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Not surprising, really.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Yeah, I've gronw up my whole life in New Jersey, but I have a bit of a Brooklyn accent - both my parents were born and raised in Brooklyn (and yes, New York City is large enough that the different boroughs have their own accents.)
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Not surprising. You can tell roughly where someone grew up in Dublin, and we have a grand total of one million inhabitants here.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Interesting
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Aye, I guess there's no real limit on how large/small an area can be before it has its own accents.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Language is a pretty bizarre thing, ain't it? :)
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Indeed.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Yep.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Post by Bryan Moore »

Mikey wrote:Yeah, I've gronw up my whole life in New Jersey, but I have a bit of a Brooklyn accent - both my parents were born and raised in Brooklyn (and yes, New York City is large enough that the different boroughs have their own accents.)
God love it. My dad's family still has a big Bronx accent. Most are in Long Island/North Jersey/Upstate, but lot of them never lost it.

Which brings up the question: What sort of universal translator matrix would the Borg use? I'd imagine after all of that assimiliation, it wouldn't be necessary. They'd be a species that could essentially speak whatever was needed without a translator.
Don't you hear my call, though you're many years away, don't you hear me calling you?
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

They'd need one for when they came across new species. And they dont really talk a lot.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

I'd love to know how the UT in the first encounter with the Borg had absolutely no trouble translating the very first words the Borg spoke to them. Though perhaps the Borg were actualy speaking English.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Rochey wrote:Though perhaps the Borg were actualy speaking English.
I wouldn't be surprised - they'd just download pretty much everything in the E-D's computer in their raid on engineering, so it makes sense that they'd make their little "we could crush your ship like a bug" speech in English. No point in making threats if the subject of said threats can't understand a word you're saying.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Plus they'd already assimilated humans before, so presumably they could have learned the language.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Captain Seafort wrote: I wouldn't be surprised - they'd just download pretty much everything in the E-D's computer in their raid on engineering, so it makes sense that they'd make their little "we could crush your ship like a bug" speech in English. No point in making threats if the subject of said threats can't understand a word you're saying.
"Wait... what? We can't understand you!"

"Lower your shields and prepare to be assimilated. hey, Ten of Seventy-one, did you turn on the UT? Oh, dammit! No, it was not funny!"
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

It would be even better if their UT was faulty.

"Lower your shields and prepared to be elongated!"
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer