Predict the Future

Trek Books, Games and General chat
shran
Commander
Commander

Re: Predict the Future

Post by shran »

Ah, the pteradactyl. Does it happen to be a giant pink robotic pteradactyl?
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

mwhittington wrote:Walking with Dinosaurs is my favorite, simply because I still am fascinated by dinosaurs. My favorite dinosaur has always been tricerotops, followed by ankylosaurus. Two badass herbivores who knew how to defend themselves. Take that, T-rex! :dinokill:
I always liked the Ankylosaurus.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Same here. Except, I've wondered for a long time - how much firepower it would take to penetrate that shell?
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Tsukiyumi wrote:Same here. Except, I've wondered for a long time - how much firepower it would take to penetrate that shell?
The problem isn't firepower - it's finding a tree stand out of reach. :wink:

Teaos - that's a very common assumption, but the pterosaurs (like the pterodactyl) technically weren't dinosaurs.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

I've always had a liking for deinonychus.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Rochey wrote:I've always had a liking for deinonychus.
Ditto. I recall being rather miffed when Jurassic Park referred to them as Velociraptors.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

I think he did that because the name velociraptor was more well known.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
mwhittington
Commander
Commander

Post by mwhittington »

Yeah, velociraptor was the "6-foot turkey".
And how much firepower could penetrate ankylosaurus armor? Maybe a .50 BMG would be to start, but I'd go with the 20mm Vulcan cannon. I'm sure Deepcrush would know for sure! :happydevil:
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -Benjamin Franklin-
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Rochey wrote:I've always had a liking for deinonychus.
Me too. The intelligence to hunt cooperatively is an awesome trait in animals... and the ability to leap and attack you from above with six-inch slashing claws fon't hurt, either.

On a side not, before the forum opened part of an extensive e-mail I sent to Graham detailed how strange it was that TNG had a planet named Deinonychus. :confused:
as Bull offed Custer
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Me too. The intelligence to hunt cooperatively is an awesome trait in animals... and the ability to leap and attack you from above with six-inch slashing claws fon't hurt, either.
I've often wondered what would have become of them had the extinction event not wiped them out. Would they have achieved sapience millions of years before we even evolved? Would we ever have evolved at all with them around? Would we evolve much as we did historicaly, only to find the ruins of Deinonychus cities burried within the ground, destroyed eons ago by nuclear war?
On a side not, before the forum opened part of an extensive e-mail I sent to Graham detailed how strange it was that TNG had a planet named Deinonychus.
It did? Odd.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Rochey wrote:I've often wondered what would have become of them had the extinction event not wiped them out. Would they have achieved sapience millions of years before we even evolved? Would we ever have evolved at all with them around? Would we evolve much as we did historicaly, only to find the ruins of Deinonychus cities burried within the ground, destroyed eons ago by nuclear war?
I'd imagine the unimpressive but common-sense answer would be - no. The ability to use tools is a common indicator, and there is nothing in the evolutionary precursors or descendants of the deinonychus to indicate any tendency to develop a thumb. Secondly, things like wolves, lions, etc., show the same abilities and pre-date humanity, yet where have they gotten?
as Bull offed Custer
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Agreed, in all likelyhood it wouldn't have happened. Still, an interesting subject to think about.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

shran wrote:Ah, the pteradactyl. Does it happen to be a giant pink robotic pteradactyl?
Along with a metal-munching T-rex?

The dinosaurs... after 165 million years, if they didn't develop sapience by then... probably not.

Although let's face it. It'd be kick-ass if they did. :Nerd: