Federation class

Showcase your own starship and weapon designs or other creative artwork
Josiah Thompson
Senior chief petty officer

Federation class

Post by Josiah Thompson »

After browsing through the DITL article about the Federation class dreadnought, I remembered something about a Dreadnought seen in the Star Trek game
Star Trek: Tactical Assault. The game version looked like a refit of the conjectural design on the DITL article, so I'm here to share what I think about it.

Federation class Dreadnought (refit)

Type: Battleship (refit)
Commissioned: 2275 - 2280
Dimensions:
Length - 380m
Beam - 150m
Height - 90m
Decks - 18 decks

Weapons:
20 Type VII phaser bank, total output 10,000 terawatts
6 X 2nd class photon torpedo tubes with 210 rounds

Defences:
Standard shield system, total capacity 800,000 terajoules
Standard duranium double hull
Standard level structural integrity field

Warp Capability:
Normal cruise: 6
Maximum cruise: 7
Maximum rated: 8 for 12 hours

Overall strength index:

After the success of the Constitution class refits, particularly the USS Enterprise NCC-1701 during the V'Ger intercept mission in 2272, Starfleet decided to upgrade the Federation class dreadnoughts with equally impressive upgrades. Notable improvements include the increase in overall combat capabilities, such as the addition of extra torpedo tubes. The warp engines were also improved to refit standard, and could now operate with better warp field geometry. The most striking change was the primary hull (saucer section) design. The old design was replaced by a new one closely resembling the Miranda class, also incorporating the characteristic "rollbar" and torpedo pod. All 20 starships were refitted and served with distinction until retirement in 2296.
Josiah Thompson

Re: Federation class

Most of the specs were from the DITL article - I just tweaked them a little bit to suit a "refitted" starship.

The notes on the refit are based on the afformentioned game Tactical Assault, in which the Dreadnought has tri-nacelles and the Miranda class saucer.

I have tried to stick to the article and semi-canon as close as possible.

Sorry, but I don't have a pic of the ship.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Seems like a logical process to spec it.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Here you go, courtasy of trekmania.net

They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

I have one major problem with the Federation. They have a shuttlebay right underneath the point where the neck joins to the engineering hull. So the bay would have all the lifts, power feeds, etc passing right through the middle of it? Bad design.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
KuvahMagh
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by KuvahMagh »

On Modern Warships (ie Halifax Class Frigate) the Ammo Rails for a 40 mm Gun run right through one of the Mess's (Sleeping Quarters). They could also route them through the walls...

I don't like the Federation for another reason though, its because of this design that all those stupid fanboys put an extra nacelle onto a ship and call it the Uber Cruiser...
There may be times when we are powerless to prevent injustice, but there must never be a time when we fail to protest.
-Elie Wiesel

Dreaming in Color Living in Black and White, Sitting in a Grey Day Leaning on a Bright New Tomorrow.
-Billy Ray Cyrus
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

There was a TOS novel involving a Federation class (can't remember the title off hand) and if I remember correctly it was supposed to have TIRTIARY shields!!! You'd have to batter down three independant shielding systems before you could even scatch the hull.

The first of the Wanktastic classes :mrgreen:
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Crew quarters is one thing - people can move around things like that easily. But a lift shaft running right through the middle of your shuttlebay?! Towards the front, too, right where the shuttle launches.

Shame, I love the three nacelle look.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Don't modern Nimitz-classes have pistons a/o feeds for the steam catapults running through the engine room, etc.?
as Bull offed Custer
KuvahMagh
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by KuvahMagh »

GrahamKennedy wrote:Crew quarters is one thing - people can move around things like that easily. But a lift shaft running right through the middle of your shuttlebay?! Towards the front, too, right where the shuttle launches.

Shame, I love the three nacelle look.
I don't know easy it is after a 12 hour day in a pitch black room with your com system going off... guy hit both rails and the couch just to find out they were calling the wrong compartment... then he repeated the process on the way back.

But who says they haven't built the lifts and such through the walls rather than the middle of the hanger?
There may be times when we are powerless to prevent injustice, but there must never be a time when we fail to protest.
-Elie Wiesel

Dreaming in Color Living in Black and White, Sitting in a Grey Day Leaning on a Bright New Tomorrow.
-Billy Ray Cyrus
Abraxas

Post by Abraxas »

Mikey wrote:Don't modern Nimitz-classes have pistons a/o feeds for the steam catapults running through the engine room, etc.?
Well, the steam catapults work by pumping steam from the reactor under pressure and then releasing the them... so it's not surprising there would be hardware for each system in different locations.

Or am I missunderstanding your question?
"We had all the momentum; we were riding the crest of a high and beautiful wave..."
- Hunter S. Thompson
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

No, I'm jsut saying it incorrectly. I'm sure I saw a docu, though, that showed ginormous pieces of equipment associated with the catapults built straight through other areas of the ship.
as Bull offed Custer
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Mikey wrote:No, I'm jsut saying it incorrectly. I'm sure I saw a docu, though, that showed ginormous pieces of equipment associated with the catapults built straight through other areas of the ship.
PBS' Carrier shows that quite clearly.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Abraxas

Post by Abraxas »

Thanks for that link!

:angel1:
"We had all the momentum; we were riding the crest of a high and beautiful wave..."
- Hunter S. Thompson
Josiah Thompson

Moral of story:

AN EXTRA NACELLE DOES NOT MEAN A BETTER STARSHIP.
DON'T LEARN IT THE HARD WAY... LIKE THAT CAPTAIN WHO GOT VAPORIZED BY A POWER STREAM IN A Federation CLASS SHUTTLEBAY