Voyager the Ubership

Voyager
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: Voyager the Ubership

Post by Sionnach Glic »

IIRC, the Dreadnought had a few gigatonnes of explosive force in it. I think that would have been about enough to do it.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

About 40 GT - the equivalent of thousands of PTs.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
thelordharry
Captain
Captain

Post by thelordharry »

Which must surely beg the question, why don't the UFP have a few of these lurking around at strategic points for such eventualities?

What's that? Borg Cube? Ahhh, whatever, one dreadnought to go please :)
“To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and
the affection of children...to leave the world a better place...to
know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is
to have succeeded.”
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

thelordharry wrote:Which must surely beg the question, why don't the UFP have a few of these lurking around at strategic points for such eventualities?
Two possibilities:

1) They're too stupid to think of it.

2) "Dreadnought" was sent after strategic targets - large Maquis or Cardassian bases. It's guidance system may not be good enough to hit such a small, and relatively manoeuverable target as a Borg cube.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

Captain Seafort wrote:
thelordharry wrote:Which must surely beg the question, why don't the UFP have a few of these lurking around at strategic points for such eventualities?
Two possibilities:

1) They're too stupid to think of it.

2) "Dreadnought" was sent after strategic targets - large Maquis or Cardassian bases. It's guidance system may not be good enough to hit such a small, and relatively manoeuverable target as a Borg cube.
You would think that the Guidance system is as advanced as the rest of the technology on the Dreadnought and It seemed fairly good to me. Reacting to situation, dealing with internal operatives, attacking hostile assault vessels.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Reliant121 wrote:You would think that the Guidance system is as advanced as the rest of the technology on the Dreadnought and It seemed fairly good to me. Reacting to situation, dealing with internal operatives, attacking hostile assault vessels.
Why should it? PTs frequently miss enemy ships, even at point blank range. Why should a far larger and less manoeuverable missile be any different?
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

Captain Seafort wrote:
Reliant121 wrote:You would think that the Guidance system is as advanced as the rest of the technology on the Dreadnought and It seemed fairly good to me. Reacting to situation, dealing with internal operatives, attacking hostile assault vessels.
Why should it? PTs frequently miss enemy ships, even at point blank range. Why should a far larger and less manoeuverable missile be any different?
Quite true.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Agreed. They'd only really be useful against static or unmaneouverable targets.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

But how hard could it be to adapt the power of the dreadnaught to say, a remote piloting system (we have those today)? That kind of weapon, while expensive to field, COULD be the difference in a battle with the Borg.
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

There is also the fact that the Federation hates almost any form of ship based AI. They wouldnt want to give a flying arsenal to big of a brain.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Aye. I imagine the ones at Mars were guided from a base somewhere else in the system (maybe on Mars itself).
thelordharry
Captain
Captain

Post by thelordharry »

I'm with our own sweet boy Kierann here :) Anything that appeared that cleverly programmed and adaptable would surely be able to adapt itself to hitting the lumbering target of a Borg cube? Sure, I accept that depots on planets (i.e something entirely stationery) would be much easier targets to hit than say, an Intrepid Class ship during evasive manoeuvres but a cube doesn't appear to be the most agile object.

Whatever, I suppose it's not the best idea to have a huge flying bomb controlled by A.I. Look what happened to the Dreadnought after all!
“To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and
the affection of children...to leave the world a better place...to
know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is
to have succeeded.”
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

The Borg could still knock them out pretty fast.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Josiah Thompson
Senior chief petty officer
Senior chief petty officer

Post by Josiah Thompson »

Or we could fall back on that old excuse...

"It's only a TV show!"
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Sorry, but that excuse only works for MST3K due to the fact that they put that disclaimer at the start of every episode. :P