Debate 2.0

Discuss the site here - suggestions, comments, complaints, etc.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Debate 2.0

Post by Teaos »

Ok here goes for the third time

Anyone up for a second official DITL debate? The first one went well (despite the fact I lost) Link bellow to the last one which are found at the bottom of the forum.

Link

Here is a list of possible topics, any new suggestions are welcome. Try to think of topics that don't have an obvious right and wrong answers.
sauser seperation

Civlians on starships

MVAM

Was the Federation right to sign a treaty with the Romulans that say they arent allowed cloaking tech

should the prime directive be followed in situations such as "homeworld"

Are Data and the Doctor sentient and should they have equal rights

Should the Federation accept Cardassia into it after the Dominion war.

Section 31: Necessary evil? or just evil? (I like that one)

Should the Federation consider the Marqui "terrorists"

- Allies annexing Breen space could lead to a lot of WWI/WWII comparisons -> Cold War. Wicked potential for historical evidence.

-Section 31 I like, but could turn into a pissing match quickly

-Genesis as WMD brings up great Atomic Energy comparisons, of course.

Should the Allies anex Breen space after the war?

Should the Federation continue to explore the Gamma quadrant noe the war is over or leave well enough alone.

Should GE'ed humans like Doctor Bashir be discriminated against? Should GE humans be illigal like it is?
Depending on how many people we get interested this will be either 3v3 or 4v4. With one or maybe 2 judges, Mikey did a good job last time.

It really doesn't take that much time, it takes about 15 minutes to prepare a post, you can even have the post mostly pre written so you just post it when its your turn.

Once we have the names of those interested the teams captain will be the two highest ranking members (unless they don't want to do it, I wont be a captain this time since I was last time and will let someone else have a turn) they then will pick teams until both teams are full anyone left behind, well better luck next time.
Rules: Alternating turns. 1000 word limit per post, 1500 words for the openers and closers of each team. This word count includes outside quotes and references. All information you wish to include in your post must be posted in your post. You cannot give a link and expect people to read it. It is up to the judges whether they accept these as fact so be careful from where you get them from.

For this debate Seaforts affirmative team are the first to post.

Speaking order ect is decided upon by the team.

Canon only. This only includes the 5 series and 10 movies as shown on TV or the theater.

The replying post needs to be made with in 48 hours of the previous post. If a member cannot for some reason post they need to give notice as soon as possible but no latter than 36 hours after the post they are supposed to reply to. At this point an addition 24 hours may be granted by either the oppositon captain or one of the judges.

If it looks like the member will still not post the team captain must post with in the given time. If the captain posts in place of the team member the team will suffer a 25 point penalty, if neither the captain or member posts and the captain does not officially pass on the turn they suffer a 50 point penalty and the opposition can then post.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Re: Debate 2.0

Post by Mikey »

I'd be happy to judge again, but the same time constraints apply that kept me out as an active debater (not "master debater.") I think after the last one, there was an idea for having a panel of judges - I'd be down for that, too.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

I dont think we have the numbers to have a panel, we need debaters more than judges.

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

I'd love to, but I doubt I have the time, unfortunately.
Maybe next time.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
KuvahMagh
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by KuvahMagh »

I'm in again, what ever we need, judges or debaters.
There may be times when we are powerless to prevent injustice, but there must never be a time when we fail to protest.
-Elie Wiesel

Dreaming in Color Living in Black and White, Sitting in a Grey Day Leaning on a Bright New Tomorrow.
-Billy Ray Cyrus
Grundig
Commander
Commander

Post by Grundig »

I'll be an active observer! I don't have the time to participate ATM.
"I have nothing to say, I am saying it, and that is poetry."
John Cage
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

So, uh, is this debate actualy going anywhere?
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Nope not enough people.

Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

I wouldn't mind being a judge but I think my temper and weird time shifts could be a problem as a debater.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Grundig
Commander
Commander

Post by Grundig »

Sorry, I bumped this without checking the dates.
"I have nothing to say, I am saying it, and that is poetry."
John Cage
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Meh, it's not much of a problem in this case. It's not as if there was much to bump in any case.