Is bigger better?

Trek Books, Games and General chat
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Re: Is bigger better?

Post by Captain Picard's Hair »

The use of mission pods optimized for a particular task makes up a lot of that, giving you the best of both worlds in a big ship with plenty of resources and firepower if needed, and the ability to specialize - this was the point I was making.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wonderous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross... but it's not for the timid." Q, Q Who
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

I know, but being the best of both worlds (S/E and Military) means that it will be doing work for both sides. You would be better off having ships purpose built and a few that can mix back and forth.

I'm not speaking against your idea, supporting it even. Just in moderation.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Moderation? Who are you and what have you done with Deepcrush?
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
kostmayer
Captain
Captain

Post by kostmayer »

A moderate Deepcrush?

Would that be a Shallowsqueeze?
"You ain't gonna get off down the trail a mile or two, and go missing your wife or something, like our last cook done, are you?"
"My wife is in hell, where I sent her. She could make good biscuits, but her behavior was terrible."
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Re the GCS construction time, canonically we do know from Booby trap that the warp reaction chamber was still being designed only a yeear or less before 2364 - I don't have exact times but they give a stardate in the episode IIRC. It seems odd to me that this would be one of the last things done on the ship, and that it would be done during what the TNG TM claims was the shakedown cruise! Also a three year shakedown cruise seems excessive when Geordi seemed to imply that "over a year" was more than enough time for that kind of thing in First Contact.

I don't really buy into the TNG Timeline. I would expect building times to be something like this :

Defiant : 9 months peacetime; 4 months wartime
Intrepid : 2 years peacetime; 9 months wartime
Akira : 2.5 years peacetime; 12 months wartime
Nebula : 3 years peacetime; 15 months wartime
Galaxy : 4 years peacetime; 18 months wartime

Just educated guesses.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

I might buy that for just building when everything is already set up and ready to go.

But the question that started this mini debate was how long would it take the Federation to build and design a new class of ship that is at least twice the size of the GCS.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

I don't think design would be that big an issue, actually. Trek computers seem to be really good at doing very high level things like "Now redesign the engineering hull to move the warp core another twenty metres forward".
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
mlsnoopy
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by mlsnoopy »

The use of mission pods
What's up with the mission pods we have seen exatcly two Nebula configuration. And one looks like it was retired. So why people still thinh that SF has somewhere huge storage areas, where numerus pod are stored.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

We know it has the ability to swap the pods, why wouldnt they take advantage of that?
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

mlsnoopy wrote:one looks like it was retired.
Where was that stated? :confused:
mlsnoopy wrote:So why people still thinh that SF has somewhere huge storage areas, where numerus pod are stored.
They have systems full of mothballed ships and parts, so why not? Better, even if we assume that you're correct and they don't have spare pods in storage - it is a canon fact that at least the two variants are extant.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

It was never stated that any pod was retired.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Captain Picard's Hair »

I do get the impression that Starfleet tends to keep a lot of stuff around "in mothballs."
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wonderous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross... but it's not for the timid." Q, Q Who
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

Earlier there was a lot of GCS vs. Intrepid.

They are different. Completely. The intrepid is a mid range explorer, or a fast response ship I mean, she is the fastest in the fleet as far as i know.

The Galaxy is a long range explorer. She goes where none have gone. to the very reaches of space. if VOY never happened, and the federation wanted to explore the DQ, it would be a GCS. It is designed Specifically for the task.

Personally i would design a replacement, leaving out the over-lavish luxuries but still retaining a moderate standard, and use the remaining space for sensor or weapons equipment.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Again, I've been somewhat of a critic of the GCS, aka "the Ritz in space," but there is a definite purpose for that luxury on an extended deep-space mission. "Adequate" facilities aren't enough to prevent performance drop-off after a few years of being on board without planetside or Starbase facilities.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

True, but I believe the GCS is just a little too much. Keep a MODEST amount of it, but not so its a 5 star hotel with engines.