Is bigger better?

Trek Books, Games and General chat
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: Is bigger better?

Post by Deepcrush »

Intrepid is probably far more cost-effective for less lengthy exploration and/or outrider duty; but if you had to be on one or the other for 7 years, would you pick the GCS or an Intrepid?
Well that all depends... What is the point of the mission? How many missions are we talking about? Do we have places where the a larger starship would be better suited? Do we have GCS to spare?

I'm not saying that there isn't a use for the GCS, I'm saying that I don't feel the need to continue building them. First off we seem to have a fair number of them already. Second, if the mission is just to chart new systems or the likes then I wouldn't waste sending a GCS. If the mission is to cross the DQ, then I would send a GCS. It all depends on the mission. But, again, I would feel the need to justify the cost.
Last edited by Deepcrush on Fri Sep 12, 2008 1:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Mikey wrote:And it didn't overload?
Nah, it's the only device on the ship with a circuit breaker.
kostmayer
Captain
Captain

Post by kostmayer »

I'd always assumed part of the Galaxy class ship's roll was to be big and impressive, although I do agree its just a little too comfy.

Voyager may have lasted on its own for 7 years, but it did so by violating Federation principles, installing alien technology, and it lost a pretty big percentage of its crew. I doubt thats the kind of thing Starfleet Command would want its explorers to have to do in order to survive.
"You ain't gonna get off down the trail a mile or two, and go missing your wife or something, like our last cook done, are you?"
"My wife is in hell, where I sent her. She could make good biscuits, but her behavior was terrible."
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

That and their shields, didn't they lose those at least twice per ep... I think it was one of the protocol thingy mabobs...
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Bingo, Kostmayer.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

kostmayer wrote:I'd always assumed part of the Galaxy class ship's roll was to be big and impressive, although I do agree its just a little too comfy.

Voyager may have lasted on its own for 7 years, but it did so by violating Federation principles, installing alien technology, and it lost a pretty big percentage of its crew. I doubt thats the kind of thing Starfleet Command would want its explorers to have to do in order to survive.
Oh, that would be like sending the Defiant to study a nebula or maybe sending an Intrepid to hunt down enemy warships in the badlands right??? :roll:

It still comes down to the Mission. What, where, when, who and why are the keys. Most of the things around UFP space could be handled by Intrepids or Novas. The GCS would be spared for missions that they might in truth be needed for.
Last edited by Deepcrush on Fri Sep 12, 2008 1:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Exactly.
as Bull offed Custer
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

It still comes down to the Mission. What, where, when, who and why are the keys. Most of the things around UFP space could be handled by Intrepids or Novas. The GCS would be spared for missions that they might in truth be needed for.

Sorry, tried to edit this in since it didn't take the first time...
kostmayer
Captain
Captain

Post by kostmayer »

Deepcrush wrote:Oh, that would be like sending the Defiant to study a nebula or maybe sending an Intrepid to hunt down enemy warships in the badlands right??? :roll:
Its been a long while since I've seen it, but I seem to remember Tom Paris and Janeway talking about the badlands in the first episode of Voyager. Tom says something about him never seeing a Starship that could navigate the Badlands, and Janeway telling him that he's never seen Voyager. The ship was small, fast and agile, yet still pretty powerful - ideal for going into the Badlands where theres a possibility of a fight.

I'm with you on the Defiant though. They had runabouts for that sort of mission. I just think Sisko liked the Defiant :)
"You ain't gonna get off down the trail a mile or two, and go missing your wife or something, like our last cook done, are you?"
"My wife is in hell, where I sent her. She could make good biscuits, but her behavior was terrible."
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Yeah, the Defiant would have been much better for hunting in the Badlands.
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Captain Picard's Hair »

But would fare a lot worse once it got thrown across the galaxy. An OOU concession, but a necessary one.

You'd definitely choose a GCS over an Intrepid where you wanted a show of force or needed its vastly greater resources, though all this has already been covered while I was off in class. I'll just toss in the idea that given the choice between an Intrepid and a GCS, you might choose a Nebula with the appropriate mission pod, which would perform better than either.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wonderous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross... but it's not for the timid." Q, Q Who
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

The GCS is like one big mobile science lab. The Intrepid and Nova are great for short or medium duration missions. Excluding the Janeway factor, those ships SHOULDN'T be out in space for more than a few years at a time. The GCS could concievebly go out for DECADES at a time, without the need for returning to Federation space. Yet for some reason, that class never seemed to be used in that role.
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Mark wrote:that class never seemed to be used in that role.
And here we are again. :lol:
as Bull offed Custer
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

I love how these things go round, and round, and round, and round, and round.............................................
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Leave it at this, SF never uses ships the way they should. End of story.

I agree that the GCS is the best long range explorer. Though, I would most likely have fewer deep space missions going on then not. Most S/E mission would be within a year or two's travel from the UFP borders. You don't need a GCS to run those types of missions. If you want a show of force then you could use the Sov or Prommie. If you have to cool some heads we have the Paladin. The Neb's are the new jack ships, so you would use them to fill in the slots as needed. Seeing how they can do most anything though just not as great as a ship built for a specific task.