Berengarian Dragons

Enterprise
Nickswitz
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Re: Berengarian Dragons

Post by Nickswitz »

Well. He's apparently not too bright, or swift.
The world ended

"Insanity -- a perfectly rational adjustment to an insane world" - R.D.Lang
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

I think I'll take a look for that thread...
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Bring some popcorn. And try to remember that it's not a joke - Blackstar was actually in earnest about some of the things he was saying.
Rochey wrote::lol: Yeah right!
Even after he'd been banned and pissed off even the people who initialy supported him, he tried getting back on twice in the most clumsy and obvious fashion.
fixed. :lol:
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

:lol:
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

I found it and have begun reading through it.

Thing is... the only mention of dolphins aborad I can recall is 'The Perfect Mate', when they were leading Ferengi away from a talk and it seemed like nothing more than a distraction/line of BS to me.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

As was poitned out in the thread "Cetacean Ops" was mentioned in one episode, so it seems like they are members of the crew.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
SteveK
Ensign
Ensign

Post by SteveK »

Sort of off-topic, but I've wondered from time to time how modern military hardware would fare against a creature this size.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

SteveK wrote:Sort of off-topic, but I've wondered from time to time how modern military hardware would fare against a creature this size.
Didn't they make a movie like that a few years back?
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Honestly, giant monsters would never be a threat to modern Humans. An M-1 tank cannon can shoot a round through something like two feet of steel plate. There's no conceivable animal of any size that would have skin which could withstand that. It's a laughable idea. Killing a giant monster would simply be a matter of putting enough rounds onto it to bring it down; even for something Godzilla sized it would be pretty trivial.

With flying creatures you might make them really fast and able to dodge aircraft and such... but heavy cannon shoot rounds at well over the speed of sound. Again, it's just silly to imagine an animal would be able to dodge stuff like that, especially given a decent rate of fire.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Yeah, but what if their skin were coated with plotinium? What then? :lol:
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

GrahamKennedy wrote:Honestly, giant monsters would never be a threat to modern Humans. An M-1 tank cannon can shoot a round through something like two feet of steel plate. There's no conceivable animal of any size that would have skin which could withstand that. It's a laughable idea. Killing a giant monster would simply be a matter of putting enough rounds onto it to bring it down; even for something Godzilla sized it would be pretty trivial.

With flying creatures you might make them really fast and able to dodge aircraft and such... but heavy cannon shoot rounds at well over the speed of sound. Again, it's just silly to imagine an animal would be able to dodge stuff like that, especially given a decent rate of fire.
Flak would take down a fast moving animal since it would be unarmoured.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Teaos is right. A flying animal would still have to make the same trade-offs in armor vs. speed/maneuverability that modern aircraft do, and would be vulnerable to the same type of weaponry as their mechanical equivalents. Besides, a creature which creates its lift and thrust via its wings would require a larger relative wing surface than an airplane, and thus would be more vulnerable to fire, not less.
as Bull offed Custer
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Forget flak. A couple of Vietnam era fighters could kill the thing by putting a few missiles into its skull. The only real problem such a creature would cause would be dealing with the body afterwards.

Godzilla burgers for all!
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Use hyberbaric bombs - that way, you don't even have to start the grill. :wink:
as Bull offed Custer
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Ah, so we all just stare up into the air with our mouths open?
That's what I call fast food.