Under which Captain would you LEAST like to serve?

Trek Books, Games and General chat
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: Under which Captain would you LEAST like to serve?

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Janeway. Dear christ, I think I'd just shoot myself and get my inevitable death over with quickly.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

Acting "Captain" Tim Watters. He was a dumb kid and all about glory. Not Captain material. The safety of his ship and crew aren't so important to him.

Captain Katherine Janeway. She threatens to blow her ship up way too many times. Clearly an unstable person. Plus after her ship is fired on, she gives a warning to the enemy she will return fire, rather than exterminating the aggressors.

Captain James T. Kirk. Trouble just follows this guy. Doomsday Machines. Romulan super torpedoes. Giant Space Amoebas. The ship's survival dependent on whether he can outfight an invincible, infinitely strong space lizard. Sure he'll remember me when I'm dead. But serving under him increases the chances of being dead.
"Bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference?"
Stan - South Park
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Nutso wrote:Acting "Captain" Tim Watters. He was a dumb kid and all about glory. Not Captain material. The safety of his ship and crew aren't so important to him...
On top of that, the kid was tweaked out of his mind on space meth.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Mithrandir
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Mithrandir »

Nutso wrote:Plus after her ship is fired on, she gives a warning to the enemy she will return fire, rather than exterminating the aggressors.
Well, this isn't a priori bad, is it?
Image AEIOU: Austria erit in orbe ultima! Image
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

Mithrandir wrote:
Nutso wrote:Plus after her ship is fired on, she gives a warning to the enemy she will return fire, rather than exterminating the aggressors.
Well, this isn't a priori bad, is it?
It's bad to me because Voyager is all alone out there. No Starbases, no Federation repair facilities. Even though Voyager is always repaired somehow, realistically I would think that Janeway would prefer her ship not take a beating. So I would hope she would return fire and at least disable the enemy vessel, then ask questions.
"Bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference?"
Stan - South Park
Mithrandir
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Mithrandir »

I see your point. But especially in the first seasons Janeway was often in the predicament of being attacked by a substantially weaker vessel.
katefan
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by katefan »

Teaos wrote:Whats wrong with Ransom, he put his crew first?

And promotions arent given to who has been around longest, its who deserves them and Paris had more real accomplishements than Kim who was just an good officer but nothing amazing.
Good officers get promoted to lieutenant j.g. within a reasonable amount of time. As for Paris having more real accomplishments, I concede your point. Harry Kim was Voyager's butt monkey; if he was not snogging aliens and getting infected with some funky virus he is captured by Borg children. Then again, he never crashed as many shuttles as Chakotay nor was he as responsible for as many breaches of security as Tuvok (Seska, anyone?).
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Captain James T. Kirk. Trouble just follows this guy. Doomsday Machines. Romulan super torpedoes. Giant Space Amoebas. The ship's survival dependent on whether he can outfight an invincible, infinitely strong space lizard. Sure he'll remember me when I'm dead. But serving under him increases the chances of being dead.
Whats this about... :?

From what I've seen being on Kirk's crew gave you a lot better chance of living then any of the other ships in trek.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

Yes he did, but at what cost? I don't like the idea that cruelty against others can be justified by "putting your crew first".
Go to the VOY forum and see the thread "Would you do a Ransom?" for my thoughts on what he did.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Mithrandir wrote:I see your point. But especially in the first seasons Janeway was often in the predicament of being attacked by a substantially weaker vessel.
That's the first time I've heard outgunning your opponent described as a "predicament". You've got the option of either a) ignoring it, if the disparity's enough that you're not risking the ship by doing so, b) knock out its weapons only, or c) destroy it.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Mithrandir
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Mithrandir »

Well, it is a predicament if the enemy would eventually hurt himself while attacking or a prolonged attack might inflict serious damage to your ship. No problem in the vicinity of Starbases but alone in the Delta quadrant...
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Mithrandir wrote:Well, it is a predicament if the enemy would eventually hurt himself while attacking
:lol:
a prolonged attack might inflict serious damage to your ship. No problem in the vicinity of Starbases but alone in the Delta quadrant...
If your ship's in danger, then blow up the attacker.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Reminds me of a fight I had as a teenager. The guy belted me in the mouth, and I said, " Now, wait a minute" before he slugged me again. Those were the only two hits he landed, but after the first one, I should've knocked him out. Why wait?
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

I don't have a problem with telling an attacker to back off, but if the ship's in danger then all bets are off - as you said, the thug in question didn't get to land a third punch.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Well that depends, most teenagers aren't big enough to hurt me so sometimes I just let it go with a punch to their throats or a kick to the balls. No harm done but they wont be picking a fight for a few hours. UFP ships should look to the same. You don't always have to kill someone. In fact knocking them down then giving them the choice to chill or die can be a great ice breaker... so can beer.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu