Under which Captain would you LEAST like to serve?

Trek Books, Games and General chat
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Under which Captain would you LEAST like to serve?

Post by Mark »

We've all picked the Captains under which we'd most like to serve, but now let's flip the page. Under which Captain's would we LEAST like to serve?

For me, there are three that immedietly come to mind.

Captain Janeway.............she never seems to promote her crew, only her friends like Tuvok, and she's rather questionable.

Captain Jellico................He seems to feel the need to bludgen everyone over the head with his authority.

Captain Styles.................The man is an arrogant a$$, and seems rather inept as a Captain.
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Re: Under which Captain would you LEAST like to serve?

Post by Teaos »

Kirk: Yeah, yeah I know what an amazing captain your all going to say he is. He pisses me off and I dont want to serve under him.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Captain Picard's Hair »

What would be the point of promotions on Voyager? There'd be no real (practical) advancement until they get home anyway; what utility would advancement in rank serve in a closed ship with few opportunities for advancement in role? (Not that I'd volunteer to join Janeway's crew, mind you)

Agree on Jellico.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wonderous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross... but it's not for the timid." Q, Q Who
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

I guess I see the flip side of that coin CPH. On a ship the size of Voyager, a Lieutenant is more than sufficient to head the security dept, and Tuvok was ALREADY second officer. Why promote him to Lt. Cmdr? Poor Harry, who demostrated his worth to the ship time and again, wasn't even given the same meaningless promotion. When Paris was reduced to Ensign, that put him back at the bottom of the seniority list as an Ensign. If Janeway was going to promote an Ensign, the promotion should have gone to Harry at that poiny, not re-promote Paris.
Just my opinion.
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Mark wrote:I guess I see the flip side of that coin CPH. On a ship the size of Voyager, a Lieutenant is more than sufficient to head the security dept, and Tuvok was ALREADY second officer. Why promote him to Lt. Cmdr? Poor Harry, who demostrated his worth to the ship time and again, wasn't even given the same meaningless promotion. When Paris was reduced to Ensign, that put him back at the bottom of the seniority list as an Ensign. If Janeway was going to promote an Ensign, the promotion should have gone to Harry at that poiny, not re-promote Paris.
Just my opinion.
Unless it was otherwise stated in the episode, Paris would have been an Ensign but with the same amount of time in that he had as a Lt. You can take away the rank but not time served, so Harry was still bottom of the rung. Commissions all rate against each other based on the date they recieved it.
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

So Harry would still have had his commission before Paris. Paris lost his, and was given a field commsission of Lt jg, right? So Harry was still an officer SLIGHTLY longer than Paris.

Or am I misunderstanding?
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Mark wrote:So Harry would still have had his commission before Paris. Paris lost his, and was given a field commsission of Lt jg, right? So Harry was still an officer SLIGHTLY longer than Paris.

Or am I misunderstanding?
Paris commission was reinestated from his previous service, it dates before Harry joined. If demoted back to Ensign his Ensign commision dates from before Harry joined. He's still senior to Harry. Besides, the demotion was a temporary punishment correct?
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Wasn't originally stated to be. He was given 30 in the brig and reduced in rank to Ensign.

Then several episodes later she re-promoted him.

Didn't realize she'd reinstated his old commission. Thought she had given him a new one.
katefan
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by katefan »

Captain Picard's Hair wrote:What would be the point of promotions on Voyager? There'd be no real (practical) advancement until they get home anyway; what utility would advancement in rank serve in a closed ship with few opportunities for advancement in role? (Not that I'd volunteer to join Janeway's crew, mind you)

Agree on Jellico.
I don't think Jellico was that bad. First of all, he made Deanna put on a uniform. Why Lieutenant Commander Troi was walking around in civvies, I have no idea. Second, he showed he could be every bit as sharp and tough as anyone else in 'Trek when he took on the Cardassians. Was he tough? Sure. But I think his criticisms of Riker were valid, especially since the loser was still(!) a first officer despite Starfleet throwing ships at him.

As for promotion on an enclosed ship, it does not matter much in higher ranks, but ensign is the lowest commissioned rank and you aren't supposed to be one for more than a year to eighteen months. A promotion even on an enclosed ship can be a sign of confidence to the junior officer, a boost in morale. And especially in Harry's case, giving him an extra pip on his collar would give him more authority. Re-instating Paris' rank without showing Harry any due credit was a slap in the poor bastard's face.

You know why he was not promoted? Because B & B wanted to do stooopid Young Ensign stories all the way to Voyager's end. After seven years Harry Kim would have been as sharp as any officer, yet they still did episodes like Nightingale, a story far more suited to the third season or so.

Oh, and who I would not want to serve under? Janeway, because she is schizophrenic and likes to torment junior officers.
Mithrandir
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Mithrandir »

Hmm, I don't think I would like to serve under Kirk as a security officer but - who would? :)

Styles and Ransom I would not fancy either! Oh, and I have not too much confidence in Captain "Tuesday" Harriman!
Image AEIOU: Austria erit in orbe ultima! Image
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

Whats wrong with Ransom, he put his crew first?

And promotions arent given to who has been around longest, its who deserves them and Paris had more real accomplishements than Kim who was just an good officer but nothing amazing.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Post by Bryan Moore »

Janeway, dear lord.
Don't you hear my call, though you're many years away, don't you hear me calling you?
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

I have to say i'm with Teaos.

Kirk: He may well have been the most reputable captain in history, may have set the precedent for star trek to come but i cannot stand him, and yet have no idea why.
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Post by Bryan Moore »

Reliant121 wrote:I have to say i'm with Teaos.

Kirk: He may well have been the most reputable captain in history, may have set the precedent for star trek to come but i cannot stand him, and yet have no idea why.
His obscene womanizing?
Don't you hear my call, though you're many years away, don't you hear me calling you?
Mithrandir
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Mithrandir »

Teaos wrote:Whats wrong with Ransom, he put his crew first?
Yes he did, but at what cost? I don't like the idea that cruelty against others can be justified by "putting your crew first".

I'd like to add another captain whose ship I won't enter for any money: Tim Watters of the Valiant!
Image AEIOU: Austria erit in orbe ultima! Image