Scimitar vs. Sovereign

The Next Generation
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Re: Scimitar vs. Sovereign

Post by Sonic Glitch »

mlsnoopy wrote:
Rochey wrote:So, how 'bout them whales?
Wich ones?
Those that are part of the E-d crew.
Those who have special neurons in their brains that allows them to send and recive subspace signals.
Those who are able to builed giant space ships.
?
?
?
Yes.
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
dagadget
Senior chief petty officer
Senior chief petty officer

Re: Scimitar vs. Soverign

Post by dagadget »

kostmayer wrote:Well, they did want to take Picard alive, so it makes sense they'd be holding back a little.

Yes they were holding back some. But Federation shields by and large are the best in the Alpha Quadrent. Now if the Sovererign had the ablative armour generators and transphasic torpedoes the battle would have ended as soon as the E would have seen them. They did not use that stuff because it would have made for a boring and short movie
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Well, I'm not sure they were able to duplicate that tech yet, or even if they did, mass distribute it.

By the way, welcome to the forum Dagadget
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Mark wrote:Well, I'm not sure they were able to duplicate that tech yet, or even if they did, mass distribute it.

By the way, welcome to the forum Dagadget
There is also the possibility of the Temporal Prime Directive prohibiting research or duplication of the tech.

And, welcome to DITL, dagadget. :)
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Welcome to the forum.

Keep in mind that it's quite possible they can't reproduce the tech. They were never able to reproduce the Doctor's mobile emmitter. And there's also some evidence that transphasic torpedoes are dedicated Borg-busters, which would explain why they were never used.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
mlsnoopy
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by mlsnoopy »

dagadget wrote:Now if the Sovererign had the ablative armour generators and transphasic torpedoes
Iffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff
Rochey wrote:And there's also some evidence that transphasic torpedoes are dedicated Borg-busters
And why exactly would they be more effective against the Borg than against other ships?
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

The Borg have been shown to adapt based purely on frequency. The transphasic torps could simply be designed to get around that (perhaps the "phasic" part suggests some sort of built in phase cloak that allows it to detonate inside the Cube). It would neatly explain why they were never used against anyone else.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Rochey wrote:It would neatly explain why they were never used against anyone else.
As would this simple solution: for the purposes of the episode we never needed to see them used on anyone else. Adml. Janeway didn't need to destroy the negh'var look alike, and neither did Harry on the Rhode Island. Just because we've only seen them used in one specific (and highly contrived) scenario doesn't mean they can't be used in others.
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Then why were they never deployed on the E-E, the most powerful and important ship in the entire fleet, a few years later?
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Rochey wrote:Then why were they never deployed on the E-E, the most powerful and important ship in the entire fleet, a few years later?
Temporal Prime Directive.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

me,myself and I wrote:Temporal Prime Directive.
Since when have the Feds put the original Prime Directive above their own strategic interests? Look at the Organians for example - a classic PD civilisation (at least by appearence), that Kirk was ordered to intervene in because it was a critical strategic system.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

The issue with the Temporal PD was already done, when Janeway brought back the transphasics. After that, they were already extant in the current timeline - at least, that would be the excuse needed to field them.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
mlsnoopy
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by mlsnoopy »

The Borg have been shown to adapt based purely on frequency.
Thats for phasers now explain to me why PT in Q who and Bobw didn't have any affect on the cubes. They are not frequency based weapons.
The transphasic torps could simply be designed to get around that (perhaps the "phasic" part suggests some sort of built in phase cloak that allows it to detonate inside the Cube).
And phasing through shields and armour would work just the same.
Then why were they never deployed on the E-E, the most powerful and important ship in the entire fleet, a few years later?
Why do you assume that they were allredy able to recrate the technology. Remeber Voyeger couldn't replicate the doctors mobile emitter.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

mlsnoopy wrote:They are not frequency based weapons.
Oh yeah? Go ask Generations; common sense < canon.
mlsnoopy wrote:And phasing through shields and armour would work just the same.
:confused:
mlsnoopy wrote:Why do you assume that they were allredy able to recrate the technology. Remeber Voyeger couldn't replicate the doctors mobile emitter.
Actually, the inability to duplicate the tech is one of the more logical reasons to not have deployed it.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
mlsnoopy
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by mlsnoopy »

Mikey wrote:Oh yeah? Go ask Generations; common sense < canon.
What if torpedo has a shield. And that glow that we see is a shield. Now you set the shield on the frequency that enables it to go through your enemys shield. Wala you have Generations.