The type 2 phaser - what were they thinking?

The Next Generation
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: The type 2 phaser - what were they thinking?

Post by Sionnach Glic »

That sounds [rather unlikely.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Doesn't it just?

Why such advanced things as smart cloth probably won't be invented for decades and decades. Maybe even centuries. :)
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Fair point. :lol:
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

:lol:

There might be minimum ranges for acquisition; such a targetting device may be bypassed manually because it affects ROF or output, or somesuch.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Or there simply isn't any such automation. If there were you'd expect to see phaser beams chasing people round the battlefield, and to go after friendlies when they're closer to the firer than the enemy is. I think the off-angle firing is better explained as a fixed down angle (perhaps adjustable in the same way that modern weapons are zeroed) to make aiming easier.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Captain Seafort wrote:Or there simply isn't any such automation.
Certainly a possibility.
If there were you'd expect to see phaser beams chasing people round the battlefield,
Only if people fired long bursts, which they tend not to. And only when the targeting system was working.
and to go after friendlies when they're closer to the firer than the enemy is.
Modern targeting systems are starting to include systems that don't target friendly forces, aren't they?
I think the off-angle firing is better explained as a fixed down angle (perhaps adjustable in the same way that modern weapons are zeroed) to make aiming easier.
There are occasions when a phaser beam slews around, changing angles during firing, you know.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

GrahamKennedy wrote:There are occasions when a phaser beam slews around, changing angles during firing, you know.
There are? :? Do you have any examples?
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

I seem to recall we see it in Too Short a Season, when they cut through the wall in the underground caverns.
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

I think we also saw it occur in... can't remember name, the one with the weapons dealer planet where Data (I think) was frozen and Yar and Riker used a wide beam to melt the ice.
With the adapting weapon drones... does anyone know which one I'm refering to?
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Hmm. Looking at the screencaps on Trekcore it seems to me more that the angle of the beams are remaining constant but Worf and Tasha are moving their arms to cut the hole. Nonetheless it's difficult to tell from stills, so I'll concede that incident until such time as I can find a proper shot of the scene.

Overall though, I can't really see solid evidence one way or the other regarding "tracking phasers" in the sense of the beam angling after opponents. I reiterate that a simple up/down angle (possibly field-adjustable by the user, given the TSAS shots above) is more likely (and certainly more sensible) than such an active system that would risk locking on to friendlies (as you say - even if such a system exists it's far from perfect) and would be vulnerable to jamming. Then again, this is Starfleet. :roll:
kostmayer
Captain
Captain

Post by kostmayer »

stitch626 wrote:I think we also saw it occur in... can't remember name, the one with the weapons dealer planet where Data (I think) was frozen and Yar and Riker used a wide beam to melt the ice.
With the adapting weapon drones... does anyone know which one I'm refering to?
Arsenal of Freedom? - Riker gets encased in an energy field and Data releases him with a Phaser (using a wide beam). There's a scene before where he's phaser sweeping the encasement with his Phaser - he's moving his phaser up and down but the beam does seem to move more then it should.
"You ain't gonna get off down the trail a mile or two, and go missing your wife or something, like our last cook done, are you?"
"My wife is in hell, where I sent her. She could make good biscuits, but her behavior was terrible."
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

Oh. Well, that was the one I was thinking of. To bad my memory was a little off. :(
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
kostmayer
Captain
Captain

Post by kostmayer »

Mine too, I just had the episode to hand and went to check :)
"You ain't gonna get off down the trail a mile or two, and go missing your wife or something, like our last cook done, are you?"
"My wife is in hell, where I sent her. She could make good biscuits, but her behavior was terrible."
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Reliant121 wrote:]
Mithrandir wrote: World War III, FTL travel and alien contact occur within the same decade. Pretty mind-altering, there. And sex... *Looks at Kirk* That hasn't gone away!
What i'm saying is you cannot change what makes us human in the space of 3 centuries. We've come through two world wars, and they have not either of the three mentioned have done nothing. If anything, the Alien contact probably strengthened our ways because we would feel slightly threatened by the alien concepts.
I like to think it brought out the best in humanity, actually. :)
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Exactly. Which is why phasers have stun settings.
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.