Does the transporter disprove the soul?

Trek Books, Games and General chat
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Re: Does the transporter disprove the soul?

Post by Teaos »

So your just substituting the word "life" for the word "soul"?
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Nickswitz
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Nickswitz »

There are other slight differences between them in my belief but basically you could say that, yes.
The world ended

"Insanity -- a perfectly rational adjustment to an insane world" - R.D.Lang
Thorin
Captain
Captain

Post by Thorin »

Teaos wrote: We are aware thus we must have a soul?
...No...

Whether you call it a soul or whatever is pretty irrelevant. My point is that something gives us the the ability to experience existance - hey, even your desk might be self aware, even the air you're breathing might be self aware, it might be experiencing existance. We don't know what it is that gives us the ability to be here, and while we shouldn't question it (otherwise existance would not exist - as it is said "I think, therefore I am" - existance is your experience of it, existance is all in your mind). What gives rise to the supernatural is that your mind does not make sense. Why exactly do I know I exist. Why do I know I am sitting here? What gives me that ability to know I am here? There are two separate issues at hand here - one is of the brain making decisions and learning through neuron synapses firing, the other is your awareness of the mind doing those things. When I say "you", I mean your awareness, not your brain. The fact you are experiencing anything makes no sense. Why should we experience anything?

To relate it to the original transporter thing, my point is that the transporter doesn't disprove that there are two different consciousnesses, with the same body and same memories.
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

Well, if you want to be picky, the transporter doesn't prove or disprove anything because it doesn't really exist. It just gives us something to argue about.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

stitch626 wrote:Well, if you want to be picky, the transporter doesn't prove or disprove anything because it doesn't really exist. It just gives us something to argue about.
Hey, I said that! :-D
I earlier wrote:On the original topic, being a fictional device, the transporter niether proves nor disproves a soul.

There, logic.

"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Mark - your proximity to Japan is showing. :lol:

Anyway, the point I have made and Thorin is trying to describe can be summed up in the words of Descartes: "Cogito, ergo sum." There is an indentity of existence in experiencing or being able to describe that existence. You don't have to call it a soul if you find that distasteful, and it may not in the final analysis be more than a collection of physical processes. But for PRACTICAL purposes, that identity if existence is outside and superior to the existence itself.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Grundig
Commander
Commander

Post by Grundig »

For my own benefit, it would be helpful to make a distinction between 'soul' and 'consciousness.' in this discussion I'm finding it hard to keep the two straight- maybe there's something to that.
"I have nothing to say, I am saying it, and that is poetry."
John Cage
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Captain Picard's Hair »

Perhaps I may be framing my arguments in a different fashion than Mikey has (not to pick on anyone), but I do find some commonality in our approach despite our differences in religious belief. Our high self-awareness is something which seems to transcend the simple "animal" sort of raw intelligence, and I suspect may at least partly have inspired the *religious* concept of the soul, as in the idea that it is this awareness that would continue past the expiration of our physical selves. Maybe this will help to clarify my prior arguments in this thread.

Getting back to the point about complexity of the brain for just a second, it is true that the gap in complexity between the human brain and that of even the next less complex brain is rather large - we are thought to be far smarter than naive evolution would predict we need to be, perhaps due to competitive forces between humans. So, the notion that the incredible complexity of our brains leads to far "higher" levels of abstract thought than other species are capable of has a backing in neurology.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wonderous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross... but it's not for the timid." Q, Q Who
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Grundig wrote:For my own benefit, it would be helpful to make a distinction between 'soul' and 'consciousness.' in this discussion I'm finding it hard to keep the two straight- maybe there's something to that.
Exactly what I've been trying to say - the fact that we may accept a convention which even partially equates the terms leads to the conclusion that the <insert name of choice for entity of self-awareness> doesn't require a religious paradigm in order to be accepted.
as Bull offed Custer
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Getting back to the point about complexity of the brain for just a second, it is true that the gap in complexity between the human brain and that of even the next less complex brain is rather large - we are thought to be far smarter than naive evolution would predict we need to be, perhaps due to competitive forces between humans. So, the notion that the incredible complexity of our brains leads to far "higher" levels of abstract thought than other species are capable of has a backing in neurology.
On a related matter I saw a fantastic doco awhile back on why the human brain evolved the way it did, really interesting. According to them a large part of it is dum luck.

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

I'd think "dumb luck" would be a key factor in any instance of evolution - hitting on a mutation which supports an organism's advancement trhough natural selection rather than one which hinders it is a pretty piece of luck on its own.
as Bull offed Custer
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Here's a mind bender for you. If the transporter breaks your physical form to the molecular level, how was Barckley able to "grab" those people out of the transporter, mid cycle???
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Thans, OVEG, but I'll handle this.

Because... you know, quantum.
as Bull offed Custer
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Quatumus Quantrificus!!!
:hat:

:Nerd:
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

I'd think "dumb luck" would be a key factor in any instance of evolution
No sereral parts of it was dumb luck.

Back when we were more monkey like we had much stronger jaws, just like modern primates do. Now big jaws mean big jaw muscles, big muscles need big bones to anchor to. This required us to have bigger thicker skulls to support the jaw muscle.

Now according to the show there was a rather sudden and quick reduction in the size of our jaw strengh with ment our brains had room to grow, according to the doco there was no good reason for the jaw to weaken, there are still loads of benifits of having a strong jaw, but by a random mutation in some of the species we had the ability to get bigger brain.

Dumb luck.