''Nominal Allies''

Deep Space Nine
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Re: ''Nominal Allies''

Post by Mikey »

Teaos wrote:In their past they had been hunted and mistreated by solids.
I understand that part.
Teaos wrote:They thought the only way to stop this was to rule over them.
I have an issue with that part.
Teaos wrote:Thys when they found multiple power empires with a doorway to their space they invaded.
Without ever discovering the intentions of those powers.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Given that they themselves knew that they seriously outnumbered and outgunned the Federation, Klingons and Romulans combined, they shouldn't have had anything to fear from the. Particularly given that their only entry into Dominion space was a massive bottleneck it would be trivialy easy to fortify. There was no need to attack them, ergo it was conquest for the sake of conquest.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Teaos wrote:They didnt do anything "evil". They tried to take over, not exterminate.
They did far worse than simply exterminate a species - the Teplan Blight.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

The Dominion to me where the epitomy of power-mad conquestadors. They may have BELIEVED they were protecting themselves, but they are driven by a more carnal conquest instinct. Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely.
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Why did the other space faring powers like the Ferengi, Gorn, Orions, and Tholians stay out of the conflict? Like was mentioned previously, it's pretty plain that the Dominion wouldn't stop till it ruled the Alpha and Beta Quadrents.
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Probably for the exact same reasons I suggested the Romulans stayed out of it.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

I'd say the most likely reason is that it was blatantly obvious that the Dominion was going to win the war. They had the alliance outnumbered, had superior technology, and the Founders were naturally brilliant infiltration experts. Given that, would you rather fight on the off-chance that you'd get lucky and not get hammered into paste, or stand aside or ally with the Dominion in the hope that you'd get favourable treatment post-war?
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Captain Seafort wrote:I'd say the most likely reason is that it was blatantly obvious that the Dominion was going to win the war. They had the alliance outnumbered, had superior technology, and the Founders were naturally brilliant infiltration experts. Given that, would you rather fight on the off-chance that you'd get lucky and not get hammered into paste, or stand aside or ally with the Dominion in the hope that you'd get favourable treatment post-war?

Hmm....good point. That would eliminate the Ferengi and the Orions straight off. And maybe the Tholians and Gorn would have just waited till it more directly affected them. The Gorn seem like isolationists, and the Tholians xenophobs.....so I guess all in all, there is my answer :mrgreen:
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Those powers are small enough to hope to go under the radar, as it were, and hope to live "normally," if under Dominion overwatch, if the Dominion one. If they were to join the alliance, they'd be facing the prospect of an utter pasting (not knowing, of course, of the writers' intent.)
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
SteveK
Ensign
Ensign

Post by SteveK »

In the episode where the Dominion tries to blow up the Bajoran sun didn't the Romulan's send a fleet to D29 for the purpose of fighting the Dominion?
KuvahMagh
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by KuvahMagh »

Yes they did, I forgot about that... as did the writers.
There may be times when we are powerless to prevent injustice, but there must never be a time when we fail to protest.
-Elie Wiesel

Dreaming in Color Living in Black and White, Sitting in a Grey Day Leaning on a Bright New Tomorrow.
-Billy Ray Cyrus
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

SteveK wrote:In the episode where the Dominion tries to blow up the Bajoran sun didn't the Romulan's send a fleet to D29 for the purpose of fighting the Dominion?
KuvahMagh wrote:Yes they did, I forgot about that... as did the writers.
Perhaps they had reconsidered their position by the time the war actually started.
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Or by then, someone else was in charge with a different "foreing policy".
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Mark wrote:Or by then, someone else was in charge with a different "foreing policy".
Of course they (the Romulans) would probably say 'We've reconsidered our position..yadda yadda yadda, politica doubletalk, unwilling to admit their leadership fell apart briefly etc. etc." :-)
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
KuvahMagh
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by KuvahMagh »

Well if news of the event reached the general public in the Empire the politicians may have been forced to withhold their troops from the War. I mean, they almost lost a major fleet without firing a shot, I'm sure the people wouldn't be happy about that. Not to mention the disgrace that would come from being tricked.
There may be times when we are powerless to prevent injustice, but there must never be a time when we fail to protest.
-Elie Wiesel

Dreaming in Color Living in Black and White, Sitting in a Grey Day Leaning on a Bright New Tomorrow.
-Billy Ray Cyrus