They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: Mothball Upgrades

Post by Sionnach Glic »

:lol:
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Post by Bryan Moore »

I know we're not supposed to necro old pages, but this was an interesting topic, and one I"d brought up before. With us talking about defending Sol or any other system, I was thinking about my idea of refitting crap for local defense. Maybe their spaceframes wouldn't hold up well with defensive power, but what if you just took these old ships, outfitted them with various torpedo launchers, phasers, basically made them stationary or at least very very low mobile platforms? Again, just fit them with weapons, a better shield generator, and let 'em fire away. Not the first choice, but I bet colonists on some remote outpost near Gorn territory or something would love to have something like this floating in orbit. Minimal crew, minimal mobility, but a decent use.

My only argument against would that be you could just build new platforms for not much more.
Don't you hear my call, though you're many years away, don't you hear me calling you?
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Bryan Moore wrote:I know we're not supposed to necro old pages, but this was an interesting topic, and one I"d brought up before. With us talking about defending Sol or any other system, I was thinking about my idea of refitting crap for local defense. Maybe their spaceframes wouldn't hold up well with defensive power, but what if you just took these old ships, outfitted them with various torpedo launchers, phasers, basically made them stationary or at least very very low mobile platforms? Again, just fit them with weapons, a better shield generator, and let 'em fire away. Not the first choice, but I bet colonists on some remote outpost near Gorn territory or something would love to have something like this floating in orbit. Minimal crew, minimal mobility, but a decent use.

My only argument against would that be you could just build new platforms for not much more.
You mean something like what the Germans did with the Tirpitz? Turn her into a floating battery?
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Post by Bryan Moore »

me,myself and I wrote:
Bryan Moore wrote:I know we're not supposed to necro old pages, but this was an interesting topic, and one I"d brought up before. With us talking about defending Sol or any other system, I was thinking about my idea of refitting crap for local defense. Maybe their spaceframes wouldn't hold up well with defensive power, but what if you just took these old ships, outfitted them with various torpedo launchers, phasers, basically made them stationary or at least very very low mobile platforms? Again, just fit them with weapons, a better shield generator, and let 'em fire away. Not the first choice, but I bet colonists on some remote outpost near Gorn territory or something would love to have something like this floating in orbit. Minimal crew, minimal mobility, but a decent use.

You mean something like what the Germans did with the Tirpitz? Turn her into a floating battery?
Exactly! Great reference. Man, thats obscure, but great. I remember in 8th grade doing a mini report on that as part of a larger project.
Don't you hear my call, though you're many years away, don't you hear me calling you?
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Bryan Moore wrote:
me,myself and I wrote:

Exactly! Great reference. Man, thats obscure, but great. I remember in 8th grade doing a mini report on that as part of a larger project.
Hey, random historical facts (more specifically random historical facts about WWII) is what I do. Oughta come in handy as a future history teacher. Glad I could back you up.
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Post by Bryan Moore »

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if the Federation actually did something like this, maybe not frontline stuff, but in the backwaters. Think of places like the Qualor Depot, with all of those ships lying around. I wouldn't be surprised if you had ships salvaged and dragged to their remote colony worlds where they could be used in that manner.

Or, if you have a non-alligned, but friendly world, you could sell the old ships to them, so long as they are technologically advanced enough so as not to break the Prime Directive. Strip them of major components (remember these ships are out of date), and let these worlds have the hulls for use however they want.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Don't bother stripping them out. That takes time and effort. Just sell the damn things and use the profits to fund more modern ships.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

If Starfleet were in the straits that it is in the the Voyager nover Full Circle, that wouldn't be a horrible idea you know. Look at it. A massive percentage of Starfleet has been destroyed. Billions are dead, and entire planets were wiped out during the Borg attack. Now, thanks to the Typhon pact, all Starfleets "enemies" have formed an alliance.

Reactivating all those old ships and strapping HUGE guns to them would take alot less time than building new ones from scratch, especially with limited resources.
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

You cant just strap huge guns on them, you have power them with a better core, better hardware, better software. The space frame might just not cut it.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

I'm not talking about enhancing overall combat performance via phasers, target lock, shields, and so forth.

I'm talking about strapping on an independently powered weapons pod (you don't need a whole lot of power to launch torps), or some other completely horrible and temporary measure. Indeed, you may completely RUIN the space frame, BUT....if you'd lost nearly half of your remaining fleet, and a bunch of PLANETS, including a core world, and suddenly found yourself facing a hostile alliance of long standing enemies, what WOULD you do?
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

FIll them full of antimatter and turn them into fireships :mrgreen:
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

:bangwall:

That would be great for system defense....................
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Mark wrote::bangwall:

That would be great for system defense....................
Man them with holograms. :wink:
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

And with an explosion of that size, disrupt some planetary orbits.

Worse, get the holographic rights nutjobs up in arms!