Vulcan isolationism is somewhat of a gambit

The Next Generation
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: Vulcan isolationism is somewhat of a gambit

Post by Sionnach Glic »

I doubt they'd have much of an effect on each other. I can't imagine the Romulans changing much, and the Vulcans are too entrenched in their own beliefs to budge.

The military implications of this are interesting, though. The Romulans now have a base in the heart of the Federation; a perfect place to strike at Earth from. However, it's surrounded by Federation space. Would Romulan ships even be allowed get to Vulcan? The Federation could just say "no, you're not flying through our space" and isolate Vulcan.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

They could and they SHOULD do just that. I certainly would if it was up to me. But this would be a decision left up to the Federation Council, not even Starfleet. And I just don't see them isolating Vulcan if it WANTED to join the Romulan Star Empire. Likely they would designate some convoluted "corridor", with Tachyon nets surrounding it to attempt to prevent the Romulans from getting free access to Federation space.
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Possibly.
I can easily see a Cuba-style thing happening over this. The Romulans want to send warships there, supposedly to protect Vulcan from the Federation. The Federation doesn't want a Romulan fleet in the middle of their space, and refuse to let them pass. Cuban Missile Crisis MK 2.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

I'd say it would be a closer match to Berlin - only the Romulans wouldn't be able to go over Fed territory and would have to risk a war by driving straight through it. I can see them pushing the boundaries, but I can't see them starting a war over Vulcan, at least not intentionally.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Fair point.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

The Vulcans would still want to be friendly with the Federation and probably wouldnt let Romulan war ships in their space.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Teaos wrote:The Vulcans would still want to be friendly with the Federation and probably wouldnt let Romulan war ships in their space.
That being the case, wouldn't the Vulcans want some of Starfleets ships for their own defense force (or whatever they call it)? Say the ones built at the Epsilon Erradani shipyards? (The ship yards in the Vulcan system)
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

I doubt the Feds would let them keep them and the Vulcans arent in a position to negotiate.

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

I can't see a longtime and founding member of the Federation, who wishes to peacefully withdraw from the Federation, NOT being given SOME kind of, shall we say, "Parting Gift"?
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

They do have a parting gift, they get to leave with out having their planets burned to the ground.

Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Teaos wrote:They do have a parting gift, they get to leave with out having their planets burned to the ground.
:happydevil: You've been hanging out with Deepcrush again :happydevil:
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

No one leaves paradise... in one piece.

Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

If you next start talking about the God-Emporer, I'll I'm gonna call an exorsist.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

It's true, though - why would the UFP pay Vulcan to secede?
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

To sow the seeds of diplomacy to eventually bring them back after they realize what a terrible mistake they made?