Control panals

The Original Series
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: Control panals

Post by Mark »

Just what I'd do. I mean, whatever happens........don't try and either finish the job, or get away now...........that would just make too much sense :bangwall:
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Tsukiyumi wrote:It did. The first few shots blasted the heck out of it. If they'd kept firing, I imagine they would've vaporized the entire Cube.
Assuming, of course, that the Borg wouldn't eventually fire back and turn the E-D into a small asteroid belt.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

For the record, the damage done was nowhere near 30%. Either you're misremembering, or someone screwed up. It blew a few chunks off the edges. By no means a major threat to the Cube.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
kostmayer
Captain
Captain

Post by kostmayer »

I just rewatched the clip, Worf says damage to 20% of the ship - and he does say damage, not destroyed.

I still think if the Enterprise had let loose with everything she had they might have stood a chance - Picard also waited too long before telling Worf to do whatever was needed to destroy the beam, those 18 people might have been saved had he acted sooner.
"You ain't gonna get off down the trail a mile or two, and go missing your wife or something, like our last cook done, are you?"
"My wife is in hell, where I sent her. She could make good biscuits, but her behavior was terrible."
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

I still can't believe that everyone thinks that the cube would have just stood there and took it, without returning fire, while the E-D "let loose with everything she had."
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Exactly. Unless the first strike was enough to obliterate every weapon on the facing the E-D was aimed at, it would have been destroyed had they started doing any real damage.
And even if it did destroy every weapon on that facing, the Cube could simply turn.

Of course, that still doesn't explain why Picard didn't just fire everything he had at the Cube, since he didn't know that.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Well, it DID sit there and let the E-D blow some GAPING holes in it's hull with three shots. Had a volley of torps immediately followed the phaser spread, damage to the cube likely would have been MUCH worse. Maybe not able immediately vape the E-D.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

It let itself be shot at to gauge the strength of the E-D's weapons. Had it been in any major danger, it undoubtedly would have reacted.
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Or, simply as yet been unable to adapt to Federation weapons.
steamrunner
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by steamrunner »

I can't imagine with the thousands of species the Borg had contact with that they hadn't been exposed to Federation-style weapons. Couldn't be the first time they had experienced directed-energy and matter/anti-matter weapons... :roll:
"If? If my aunt had balls, she'd be my uncle..."
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

I agree one hundred percent. Yet phasers DID still inflict damage, and a torp beamed into the bridge of a borg shop in VOY DID destroy it. I never said it made sense, only that from what we've seen, it should work.
steamrunner
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by steamrunner »

Kinda hard to "adapt" to a torpedo materializing right beside you! :jawdrop: I'm sure the damage was caused by the Borg perhaps not experiencing that particular phaser frequency or the matter/anti-matter mixture.
"If? If my aunt had balls, she'd be my uncle..."
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Mark wrote:Yet phasers DID still inflict damage
Probably because they hadn't adjusted to those settings at the time
a torp beamed into the bridge of a borg shop in VOY DID destroy it.
No it didn't - the torp only inflicted minor damage to the probe. It self-destructed, due to damage to one of its power generators.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

I thought the torpedo caused chain reaction, third party damage to the core? It has been a while however.