How can the Founders avoid detection?

Trek Books, Games and General chat
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

How can the Founders avoid detection?

Post by Captain Picard's Hair »

This occurred to me as I wrote a reply to the "commbadge" thread, and doesn't apply exclusively to the Founders but to a number of races which have fooled sensors. If these sensors are capable of nearly instant DNA scans without physical sampling (as when the blade of Kahless was scanned in "Rightful Heir") do brain wave scans at a distance, etc, how can all of these things be fooled - at once?
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wonderous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross... but it's not for the timid." Q, Q Who
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Re: How can the Founders avoid detection?

Post by Blackstar the Chakat »

I doubt they're all being used at once, or at full intensity. An analogy might be me scanning my computer for viruses. A quick scan might cover one thing or two in a minute but a full scan of the entire computer takes four hours. An unbeatable security scan might just take too damn long to be reasonable.
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

What I can't understand is how they can fool tridorders. Do shapeshifters shift all the way at the molecular level? If a tridorder can distinguish between various species of solids, why can't detect the absense of, say, a heartbeat, breath, blood gasses, and so forth. How can they duplicate someone, or something so COMPLETELY that a tricorder couldn't tell the difference.
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Or that a rock or a briefcase is really a living thing. It should be simple to tell carbon from iron!
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wonderous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross... but it's not for the timid." Q, Q Who
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Mark wrote:What I can't understand is how they can fool tridorders. Do shapeshifters shift all the way at the molecular level? If a tridorder can distinguish between various species of solids, why can't detect the absense of, say, a heartbeat, breath, blood gasses, and so forth. How can they duplicate someone, or something so COMPLETELY that a tricorder couldn't tell the difference.
They create the organs necessary. We've seen shapeshifters turn into fog, fire, ships, and the mention of turning into clouds. Who's to say what their limits are?
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Blackstar the Chakat wrote:
Mark wrote:What I can't understand is how they can fool tridorders. Do shapeshifters shift all the way at the molecular level? If a tridorder can distinguish between various species of solids, why can't detect the absense of, say, a heartbeat, breath, blood gasses, and so forth. How can they duplicate someone, or something so COMPLETELY that a tricorder couldn't tell the difference.
They create the organs necessary. We've seen shapeshifters turn into fog, fire, ships, and the mention of turning into clouds. Who's to say what their limits are?
My first answer would be those pesky laws of physics. But this is Trek, sooooooooo........................ :roll:
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Mark wrote:
Blackstar the Chakat wrote:
My first answer would be those pesky laws of physics. But this is Trek, sooooooooo........................ :roll:
Remember, everytime you bring up the laws of physics in Star Trek a tribble dies :(
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Blackstar the Chakat wrote:Remember, everytime you bring up the laws of physics in Star Trek a tribble dies :(
Maybe God really does play dice in the Trek universe*... the results of an action may well be determined by a comic random number generator. It's as good a Trek Theory of Everything as there is :)
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

AAhhhhh poor tribble :cry:
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Blackstar the Chakat wrote:...and the mention of turning into clouds...
In that same episode (Chimera), Laas turns into fog and covers a good portion of the promenade.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

And how could he become a gas??? :::fearing for life of another tribble:::
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

This is but one of a long list of ways the Founders violate the laws of physics. Consider conservation of mass: If Odo becomes a seabird, he would still have to have the mass of a man, assuming similar density as a man when in humanoid form. A changeling mimicking a seagull would then be a seagull with the density of depleted uranium! There ain't no way in Janeway's Borg Hell that thing's getting off the ground under it's own power! If Odo becomes something bigger, he'd have to reduce his density, accordingly, as well, so it's hard to see him becoming super strong if he becomes a grizzly bear...

Of course, we have seen Founders become a bird and fly...
Last edited by Captain Picard's Hair on Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Did I just kill a whole city full of tribbles? :cry:
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Captain Picard's Hair wrote:Did I just kill a whole city full of tribbles? :cry:
:cry: You may have just killed more of them than the Klingons :cry:
thelordharry
Captain
Captain

Post by thelordharry »

Mark wrote:
Captain Picard's Hair wrote:Did I just kill a whole city full of tribbles? :cry:
:cry: You may have just killed more of them than the Klingons :cry:
They ate all the quadroditerallium(?) I was going to have for my dinner last night so frankly, you can go kill the lot of them! Feed them all to that caged animal, just like Flox did in ENT. Then, in the words of Scotty, they'll be no tribble at all :)
“To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and
the affection of children...to leave the world a better place...to
know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is
to have succeeded.”