How can the Founders avoid detection?

Trek Books, Games and General chat
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Re: How can the Founders avoid detection?

Post by Blackstar the Chakat »

Captain Picard's Hair wrote:This is but one of a long list of ways the Founders violate the laws of physics. Consider conservation of mass: If Odo becomes a seabird, he would still have to have the mass of a man, assuming similar density as a man when in humanoid form. A changeling mimicking a seagull would then be a seagull with the density of depleted uranium! There ain't no way in Janeway's Borg Hell that thing's getting off the ground under it's own power! If Odo becomes something bigger, he'd have to reduce his density, accordingly, as well, so it's hard to see him becoming super strong if he becomes a grizzly bear...

Of course, we have seen Founders become a bird and fly...
I got an idea from the Animorph series where the main characters were given the ability to 'morph' into any animal they touch. The explination for losing mass on smaller morphs was that it was moved to Zero-Space(like how we have subspace), but could only be held there for two earth hours. Maybe the founders can shift their unneeded mass to another dimension (maybe fluidic space? :lol: ) or take extra material from that dimension?
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Blackstar the Chakat wrote:
Captain Picard's Hair wrote:This is but one of a long list of ways the Founders violate the laws of physics. Consider conservation of mass: If Odo becomes a seabird, he would still have to have the mass of a man, assuming similar density as a man when in humanoid form. A changeling mimicking a seagull would then be a seagull with the density of depleted uranium! There ain't no way in Janeway's Borg Hell that thing's getting off the ground under it's own power! If Odo becomes something bigger, he'd have to reduce his density, accordingly, as well, so it's hard to see him becoming super strong if he becomes a grizzly bear...

Of course, we have seen Founders become a bird and fly...
I got an idea from the Animorph series where the main characters were given the ability to 'morph' into any animal they touch. The explination for losing mass on smaller morphs was that it was moved to Zero-Space(like how we have subspace), but could only be held there for two earth hours. Maybe the founders can shift their unneeded mass to another dimension (maybe fluidic space? :lol: ) or take extra material from that dimension?
I remember one of the books essentially putting forth that theory. I don't know if it was ever mentioned in the series though. The Founders extra mass gets shunted into subspace through some sort of {technobabble...or maybe Biologic-babble) thing. I think it was the "Millenium Trilogy" that mentions it briefly.
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

me,myself and I wrote:I remember one of the books essentially putting forth that theory. I don't know if it was ever mentioned in the series though. The Founders extra mass gets shunted into subspace through some sort of {technobabble...or maybe Biologic-babble) thing. I think it was the "Millenium Trilogy" that mentions it briefly.
I remember another book that pointed out the exact same problem CPH did - that a Changeling's mass should remain the same regardless of its shape. Considering that I was a few years younger than Reliant at the time, and the book was aimed at that age group, it's a pretty damning indictment of Trek.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

One thing that struck me about the Founders is that they don't imitate things as such. It's tempting to think that when a Founder becomes a rock, it's actually rock-coloured and textured on the outside, but Founder-goo on the inside. But that's not so. We saw Odo become a glass once, and you could see through the glass. So Odo actually becomes the thing he is imitating, somehow.

I seem to recall he even said as much once. Scan him as a rock, and what you get is the readings you'd get from a rock.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Captain Seafort wrote:I remember another book that pointed out the exact same problem CPH did - that a Changeling's mass should remain the same regardless of its shape. Considering that I was a few years younger than Reliant at the time, and the book was aimed at that age group, it's a pretty damning indictment of Trek.

:?

How old are you again, Seafort?
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

23 - this was back in the mid 90s.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

That was the discrepancy, then. I'd always assumed you were older than that, with your degree and debating skill.

My apologies. :) I'm certainly no ageist.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Ron Moore once semi-seriously suggested that the Founders change size and shape in part because they are trans-dimensional beings. They shift bits of themselves in and out of another dimension, and therefore it is very easy for them to alter their mass because all you measure is how much of their mass is in our dimension.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

GrahamKennedy wrote:Ron Moore once semi-seriously suggested that the Founders change size and shape in part because they are trans-dimensional beings. They shift bits of themselves in and out of another dimension, and therefore it is very easy for them to alter their mass because all you measure is how much of their mass is in our dimension.
For real? :worried:
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Captain Picard's Hair »

At least he's aware of the problem :roll:
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wonderous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross... but it's not for the timid." Q, Q Who
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

This has been bugging me forever. Odo's commbadge. Was it real or was he somehow able to mimic that as well? (To me that seems to farfetched. Being able to mimic the appearing on his "uniform" in one thing, but actually be able to mimic a working mechanical device like a communitactor seems to much) Assuming it WAS real, where did IT go when I shifted shape? Deep inside himself, or into that trans dimension thingee you guys were discussing? If he sort of absorbed it, then wouldn't that have rendered his ability to hide as the furniture in Quarks bar ineffective? All Quark had to do to know he was there was ask the computer where he was.
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Mikey wrote:
GrahamKennedy wrote:Ron Moore once semi-seriously suggested that the Founders change size and shape in part because they are trans-dimensional beings. They shift bits of themselves in and out of another dimension, and therefore it is very easy for them to alter their mass because all you measure is how much of their mass is in our dimension.
For real? :worried:
He really did say it, yes. I'm not sure he really did mean it.
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Captain Picard's Hair »

Mark wrote:This has been bugging me forever. Odo's commbadge. Was it real or was he somehow able to mimic that as well? (To me that seems to farfetched. Being able to mimic the appearing on his "uniform" in one thing, but actually be able to mimic a working mechanical device like a communitactor seems to much) Assuming it WAS real, where did IT go when I shifted shape? Deep inside himself, or into that trans dimension thingee you guys were discussing? If he sort of absorbed it, then wouldn't that have rendered his ability to hide as the furniture in Quarks bar ineffective? All Quark had to do to know he was there was ask the computer where he was.
If he turns into something with a bit of length in all three dimensions, it could be hidden, but we've also seen him exist as surfaces, not to mention the gas-energy-glowing whatever he became in Kira's presence...
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wonderous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross... but it's not for the timid." Q, Q Who
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Captain Picard's Hair wrote:
Mark wrote:This has been bugging me forever. Odo's commbadge. Was it real or was he somehow able to mimic that as well? (To me that seems to farfetched. Being able to mimic the appearing on his "uniform" in one thing, but actually be able to mimic a working mechanical device like a communitactor seems to much) Assuming it WAS real, where did IT go when I shifted shape? Deep inside himself, or into that trans dimension thingee you guys were discussing? If he sort of absorbed it, then wouldn't that have rendered his ability to hide as the furniture in Quarks bar ineffective? All Quark had to do to know he was there was ask the computer where he was.
If he turns into something with a bit of length in all three dimensions, it could be hidden, but we've also seen him exist as surfaces, not to mention the gas-energy-glowing whatever he became in Kira's presence...
:::scratching head:::

It this gonna be one of those Quantum things?
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Yes. I believe the only answer to this conundrum is the good old fashioned quantum explaination.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"