Star Trek Conventions

Trek Books, Games and General chat
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Star Trek Conventions

Post by Mark »

I'm gonna go out on a limb here, and guess that at one time or another most of us attended a Star Trek convention or two. Let's hear about it. What was your greatest convention story?

Mine involved me in a TNG command red uniform, my friend with Klingon ridges on his forehead (the one I mentioned before as speaking Klingon) spending the weekend with one lady dressed as a Vulcan, and the other in a nearly non-existant bikini completely covered (yes, I mean completely) in green body paint as an Orion slave girl. Was an AWSOME time. If I'm not mistaken, it was Gene's last convention.
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Re: Star Trek Conventions

Post by Captain Picard's Hair »

I've never been to one. Of course, I've never really done all that much away from home, due largely to my schizophrenia (in the last 8-9 years); before that I was extremely withdrawn as a child.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wonderous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross... but it's not for the timid." Q, Q Who
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Never been to one. In music, sports, entertainment, etc., I've just never been big on collecting/meeting/signing or anything of the sort.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

Nope, never been. Not sure if i ever will. I'm not exactly your stereotypical trekkie.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Never been to one, and don't really have any urge to attend one.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
thelordharry
Captain
Captain

Post by thelordharry »

I have never been to a Trek convention per se but wouldn't be shy to if one day there was one in my area.

The closest I've come so far is going to Star Trek: The Experience in the LV Hilton last year and about 5 or so years ago, around about the same time Nemesis was in the cinema and ENT was in it's second season, there was a Star Trek exhibition in Hyde Park, London, in a absolutely huge marquee tent and there were all sorts of displays of costumes, video displays and sets (they had the ENT engine room, the 1701 nil main bridge which was awesome and the last thing before you walked out was a really good mock up 1701D bridge where you all stood behind Worf's station and in front of the science stations and then a Borg attack came on the main viewer). I even got a few pictures of me and the Mrs being beamed down from the 1701 nil along with Kirk & Spock and also one of being beamed up to the D along with Worf, all via the gift of photo trick trick trickery. However, I told everyone Bill Shat, Leonard Nimoy and Michael Dorn were there to pose with us, which some of the slower amongst them bought :)

Pretty cool stuff really :)

Not sure I could ever do the whole dressing up thing though. Well, not unless I'd had 10 pints of Stella anyway :)
“To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and
the affection of children...to leave the world a better place...to
know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is
to have succeeded.”
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

thelordharry wrote:Not sure I could ever do the whole dressing up thing though. Well, not unless I'd had 10 pints of Stella anyway :)
I'm still considering forming a death metal band that dresses like Klingons. :wink:

Never been to a convention, though I've thought about going to meet women. :D
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

Theres a metal badn Sto'vo'kor i think it was that sings exclusively in Klingon.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Reliant121 wrote:Theres a metal badn Sto'vo'kor i think it was that sings exclusively in Klingon.
I don't know whether to laugh or cry.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Don't worry, this is a situation where there are no wrong choices.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Geez.....I feel like the dorkiest trekker here now. Well, at least I got to hear the story first hand of how Bill Shatner and DeForest Kelly stole Lenord Nimoy's bike, and hung it from the rafters over the bridge set, so Lenord couldn't beat everyone to the lunch wagon anymore :teacher:

Not to mention ALL of the money I spent on Trek stuff. Like TNG uniforms (red, blue, and gold. one of each). That type two phaser with the laser pointer I once mentioned before. A comm badge pin with a chip on the back that chirped when tapped. And the damn tricorder with all of its random blinking lights and noises (used to have to change the batteries weekly), among alot of other crap :mrgreen:
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
thelordharry
Captain
Captain

Post by thelordharry »

Oh I don't know, I bought a Captain Kirk shirt for a fiver off Ebay today :)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... :IT&ih=010
to have succeeded.”
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Captain Picard's Hair »

The only Trek "stuff" I have is a model of the E-D, and a collection of smaller toy models of various ships, aside from the collection of Trek video on my external HDD and/or DVD (the complete TNG and DS9)
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wonderous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross... but it's not for the timid." Q, Q Who
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Post by Bryan Moore »

My dad took me to one in Hartford, CT in 1996. It was a long-running science of Star Trek exhibit, with other sci-fi mixed in. One weekend it became your typical convention with guest speakers and the like. I met John DeLancie and Jeremy Bulloch (the original Boba Fett). Great time.
Don't you hear my call, though you're many years away, don't you hear me calling you?
thelordharry
Captain
Captain

Post by thelordharry »

Bryan Moore wrote:I met John DeLancie
You met Q?!? If I ever met him I don't think I'd be able to suppress my natural urge to, in crisp English accent (or is that French?) bark "what do you want Q?!?" :)
to have succeeded.”