Luna Class Rejects...

Showcase your own starship and weapon designs or other creative artwork
DBS
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by DBS »

MetalHead wrote:Wow, just the fact that you got all those accurate details is really cool, never mind the ship design itself (which is awesome!) Only thing I'm not really liking is the Obreth style double hull, just think it looks kinda odd and adds vulnerability in combat, but then again yours is an explorer, so huge thumbs up for you :-)
Thanks a lot! One thing I really like about the Titan series is that it is an effort to bring Starfleet back around to doing what it is *supposed* to be doing after having to focus on military concerns for the last decade or so!
"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

Jean-Luc Picard, quoting judge Aaron Satie
Handel
Petty officer second class
Petty officer second class

Luna Class Rejects...

Post by Handel »

it looks great, but the blueprints are quite faint. is there any way to upload a clearer image?
DBS
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by DBS »

Alas, not for mine. Don't have Freehand anymore :cry:
"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

shran
Commander
Commander

Post by shran »

www.imageshack.us might help. Images can get quite big there, and even bigger when saved in the right way.
DBS
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by DBS »

This is another design I came up with (hit me after the contest was over :( )
Since it could no longer be the Luna class I decided to call it the Horizon class in keeping with the fanfic I designed her for. However, for our purposes here, she could be considered a true "Luna Class Reject..." I'll follow her with a write-up, as usual.

If anyone has an idea of what I could use the Horizon for other than a Luna attempt, let me know with ideas. Honestly, looking at the "real" Luna class, I think that she could honestly be a follow-on to the Luna class. :)

Thoughts?

DBS
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by DBS »

the write-up follows here...

Basically, I ran the stats you see below through the DITL calculator! I had to fudge a little (there isn't a "pulse fire photon torpedo" setting, so I used the Type 1 Burst fire instead - basically the same rate of fire, only photons.) I also tried to calculate the power of an individual type X and type VIII phaser array, and put them together in the number described.

Without further ado, here is the DITL rating for the Horizon based on the specifications that follow...

Beam Weapon Output: 15575 TW
Torpedoes: 2 x "Type 1 Burst Fire Torpedo Tube"*, 2 x standard photon torpedo tubes.
Defense: Auto-modulated shield system, total capacity 4,150,000 TJ, Standard Duranium/Tritanium single hull, 10cm high-density armour, standard level SIF.
Maximum Warp Factor: 9.99 (36 hours)

And the strength indices:

Beam firepower - 312
Torpedo firepower - 950
Weapon range and accuracy - 1400
Shield strength - 1537
Hull/armour - 1050
Speed - 4125
Combat maneuverability - 4000

Overall strength index - 1172

A fairly defensively oriented ship, which I think is ideal for the kinds of engagements an explorer would face (small skirmishes, evading threats, and escaping dangerous opponents).
Last edited by DBS on Fri Jul 20, 2007 7:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.

DBS
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by DBS »

Classification: Long-Range Explorer
Commissioned: 2382 - present
Unit Run: 15 vessels ordered, first batch under construction
(2382-2387), second batch orders pending
Production: 3 completed per year, two year construction period for each
vessel.

U.S.S. Horizon* NX-83000
U.S.S. Venturer NCC-83009
U.S.S. Resolution NCC-83016
U.S.S. Cook NCC-83132
U.S.S. Asimov NCC-83140
U.S.S. Clarke NCC-83200
U.S.S. Chekhov NCC-83206
U.S.S. Forrest NCC-83521
U.S.S. Archer NCC-83523
U.S.S. Magellan NCC-83534
U.S.S. Columbia NCC-83591
U.S.S. Discovery NCC-83621
U.S.S. Atlantis NCC-83625
U.S.S. Solaris NCC-83636
U.S.S. Excelsior NCC-2000-A

*Prototype re-commissioned as U.S.S. Horizon; NCC-75026-A

Length: 481 meters Beam: 204 meters
Height: 90 meters
Mass: 1,890,000 metric tons
Decks: 16
Personnel: 362 (112 officers, 250 enlisted)
Passenger/family accommodations: 180
Emergency Evacuation Limit: 1,850
Cruise Velocity: warp 9.4
Maximum Cruise Velocity: warp 9.9
Emergency Velocity: warp 9.99 for 36 hours
Range: 16,000 L.Y. Mission Duration: 6 years
Refit Schedule:
6 years - minor
18 years - major
Expected Hull Life: 90 years
Shield Output: 4,150,000 TJ
Phasers: 3 Type X arrays; 4 Type VIII arrays
Torpedo System: 2 Pulse-fire Photon Torpedo launchers
2 Standard Photon Torpedo launchers
250 casings, 150 probe casings
(Interchangeable system with quantum torpedoes)

------------------------------------------------------

Originally intended to incorporate technology from existing ships, the Horizon class' Sovereign-inspired spaceframe was ultimately able to install sensor and computer systems that were top-of-the-line, and her sensor capacities are significantly greater than either the existing Galaxy or Intrepid classes on which the sensor suite was based. Likewise, the science laboratories are top-of-the-line, as are diplomatic and crew accommodations. In keeping with the tradition of the Luna class, it is the intention of the designers that Horizon and her sister ships are fully capable of supporting any life form imaginable.

As mentioned before, the technology needed to create Sovereign standard tactical systems was not be utilized at the time of development, so the first batch of starships is equipped with various existing weapons and defense systems. The space freed up by the advanced computer and sensor systems allowed the installation of a higher grade of shields than a vessel of her size could normally expect. This gives the Horizon an appreciable ability to defend herself (and escape from overwhelming situations) if needed, a very important attribute in unknown space, as demonstrated by the experiences of the Luna class.

Thus appointed, the U.S.S. Horizon (NCC-75026-A) was launched in mid 2382, only a few months behind the original schedule. The Horizon completed space-worthiness trials with flying colors, and has since embarked on her first mission of exploration beyond the established borders of the Federation. The other fourteen vessels of the class are expected to be completed by 2377, at a rate of three per year. The Horizon class is expected to supplement the Luna class at the forefront of exploration for decades to come.
This was just the basic idea. Again, that is my hypothetical situation for it. The history is not terribly great, so the stats are more important.

Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Nitpick: shouldn't the prototype be given the regular registry "NCC-83000"? :?
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Thats pretty good! :)
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
DBS
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by DBS »

Captain Seafort wrote:Nitpick: shouldn't the prototype be given the regular registry "NCC-83000"? :?
Yes, but only after it is commissioned. <aside>Part of the backstory I created for the design involved the original USS Horizon's exploits. So because I wanted the drawing to look "right" to me, that is the registry number.<back to relevant info...> So, the way the info reads, the prototype was registered NX-83000, and when it was commissioned and accepted into Starfleet it was re-named Horizon and given the official registry of NCC-75026-A (the "A" came after my drawing...)

DBS
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by DBS »

Thanks, guys! I moved the ship to a new thread, since it isn't really a Luna attempt anymore... Thanks for your patience.

Bernd
Petty officer first class
Petty officer first class

Post by Bernd »

DBS: May I shamelessly post a plug for my site and invite you to submit your design of the Luna:
http://www.treknology.org/submit_form.php

The design looks great. The nacelles could be a tad longer, but that is only a matter of taste.

Edit: Actually you should submit both designs.
DBS
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by DBS »

Thanks! I appreciate the offer. I'll see what happens... If I can ever get time to post more, that is... :( :lol: