Luna Class Rejects...

Showcase your own starship and weapon designs or other creative artwork
DBS
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Luna Class Rejects...

Post by DBS »

Did anyone ever enter the Titan Design contest a while back? My e-mail dumped my submission and suffice it to say, I did not win. (you can check this fact since my design does NOT look like the winner...)

Anyhoo, maybe we could create a fleet of "Titan Rejects!"

DBS
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by DBS »

To clarify, I'll re-write the text for you. It would be neat if people would also describe their ships.

---------------------------------------------

Length: 450 meters
Beam: 278 meters
Height: 105 meters
Decks: 21
Mass: 2,985,000 metric tons

Crew: 350
Evacuation Limit: 3500

Armament:
9 Type X phaser arrays
2 Rapid-fire torpedo
launchers capable of
firing Quantum torpdoes
or Mk. VI Photon Torpedoes

Cruising Velocity: Warp 9.2
Maximum Velocity: Warp 9.99
(36 hour endurance)

Mission Endurance: 8 years

The Luna Class Starships are designed to become the premier exploration vessel of the Federation, taking on the exploratory and surveying duties from more traditional explorer-type starships such as the Galaxy class starships. Both the Galaxy and Sovereign class explorers have been primarily used in deterrence and support missions deep in the core of the Federation. The exploration role thus has often fallen on ships intended for specific scientific missions such as the Intrepid and Nova classes, or other even less capable starships.

The Luna class changes this trend. this dedicated exploration vessel will almost certainly lead the Federation towards new frontiers of science and knowledge. Utilizing the latest in sensor and computer technology, this class is even more capable at exploration and surveying missions than even the venerable Galaxy class, and is far less expensive to maintain in the distant reaches of theGalaxy. Like the explorers of a century ago, the Luna class is practically self-sufficient, allowing very long-term missions.

The design of the class utilizes the latest warp field geometry advances, and the structure of the starship is based upon several proven designs such as the Oberth, Akira, and Sovereign classes. Other aspects of the design are based upon the Intrepid, NX, Norway, and Neptune class starships.

-----------------------------------

You know, in ditl spirit I should come up with her overall strengh index...More on that later...

Enjoy!
-DBS
Handel
Petty officer second class

Luna Class Rejects...

Post by Handel »

heh interesting design DBS

I like the triangular saucer concept, as well as the shape of the nacelles and whatnot. The references to what has come before definitely get the thumbs up!

In my view, the only issue with the design is that the length is too short for it's height. This is probably because we're all used to a much larger length:height ratio, which is to me at least more appealing, especially with the stretching majesty that is the Sovereign Class (imo the best-looking ship in sci-fi history). The Nova class suffers from this a tad as well.
DBS
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by DBS »

Yeah, I'm a bit freakish about making things work. So when the size of the hull got to be such that it would exceed the 450 meter limit, I lopped off the nacelles. :oops:

I got similar comments when I re-submitted it directly to Rick Sternbach. Looking at it two years later, I agree with you both! The nacelles ought to be a tad longer. In my defense I did take many cues from the Nova class...

I personally think that recent starships have gotten a bit too flat, so I deliberately made my Luna class to have some draft. But I agree that the Sovereign is an absolutely beautiful ship!

Thanks for your comments!
"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

Jean-Luc Picard, quoting judge Aaron Satie
Grundig
Commander
Commander

Post by Grundig »

Wow, that's really impressive! Another poster commented that it's a bit tall for its length, and I kindof agree. But the supporting text you wrote is actually my favorite part. I love imagining this type of thing.
Handel

Luna Class Rejects...

Post by Handel »

by the way, how did you make that blueprint card thing?
DBS
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by DBS »

Thanks!

Looking again, I can tell I designed it from the top down! I like the dorsal view best, then the ventral view follows nicely, and even the bow and stern are okay. The one I cringe at is the side view! That's where you somehow have to make all the crazy stuff you came up with fit together!

Most if not all of any of my future designs will NOT look that good. I hope that the designs themselves are better, but I don't have Freehand anymore, so you will see lovely scans of graph paper! :D
"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Nice ship, good concept. Like others I also think it looks a bit too tall for its length.
I would give designing ships a try but my drawing abilities are rather lacking. :(
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
The_Chief
Crewman
Crewman

Post by The_Chief »

Here's my very basic sketches of the Titan. I could never decide whether or not to put the nacelles above or below the secondary hull. Either way, it's not a particularly exciting design, so I got bored with it.

esw01407
Petty officer third class
Petty officer third class

Post by esw01407 »

Its a very nice design. I can see clearly your use of the Akira class in the design, but my concerns lie in the strength of the rear end of the ship and its weak look. I would be concerned if the ship took to many hits to the rear end.
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Post by Bryan Moore »

DBS, I rather like your design!
Don't you hear my call, though you're many years away, don't you hear me calling you?
DBS
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by DBS »

Thanks!

The_Chief, I would love to see your design from the top/bottom! The bottom version looks interesting.

MetalHead
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by MetalHead »

Wow, just the fact that you got all those accurate details is really cool, never mind the ship design itself (which is awesome!) Only thing I'm not really liking is the Obreth style double hull, just think it looks kinda odd and adds vulnerability in combat, but then again yours is an explorer, so huge thumbs up for you :-)
"Beware what you intend to say, those words will always make you pay." - Soilwork

Booze and Strippers!
The_Chief
Crewman
Crewman

Post by The_Chief »

Thanks, now I'm inspired to create a dorsal view! The Titan above is very interesting. It is a bit tall, but then, maybe that's just the way it's supposed to be! I like it!
What am I? A surgeon or a moon shuttle conductor?
DarkOmen
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by DarkOmen »

i like you design dbs!! i especially like how the profile looks, very cool!