Re-write the Dominion War

Deep Space Nine
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Re-write the Dominion War

Post by Captain Picard's Hair »

As opposed to Rochey's thread, in which you were a commander in-universe, now you are a Trek writer and writing the Dominion War from start to finish. How would you have done it differently?
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wonderous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross... but it's not for the timid." Q, Q Who
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: Re-write the Dominion War

Post by Mark »

I would have kept it very similar, with the exception of making it a truely Quadrent Wide War, similar to our World Wars. Nobody left on the sidelines. The Gorn, The Tholians, even the Metrons and the Orgainians. Would have given the Dominion a similar "powerhouse" species. Maybe even have Q and the Borg as "guest stars". (Would love to see a battle where the Federation and the Jem'Hadar have to work together to stop the Borg.
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Way to keep it similar. :P
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

I'd like to see more races jumping into the war. A massive empire bent on conquest waltzes into the quadrant and most of the local species can't be bothered to do anything to aknowledge them?
I'd have the minor species joining one camp or the other, maybe the Gorn joining the Alliance and the Tholians joining the Breen and Cardassians on the Dominion's side.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

I think they did it ok.

What I would have liked to see is a 3 epidoe arc from the Dominion point of view about them taking Betazoid.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
JudgeKing
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by JudgeKing »

Funny: Replace it with a hot lesbian orgy between numerous Trill women.

Serious: I'd show more battles and have some of Starfleet's more modern ships appear in the battles. I'd also show more of the Romulans in the war and give them several new classed of ship to diversify their fleet. I'd also expand the Klingon and Cardassian fleets. There would be more ground battles and even the different militaries of the AQ/BQ Powers being damn intellegent and competent.
There is not a problem in this world that can't be solved without the proper application of a sufficient number of thermonuclear ordnance.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

I would have liked to see the Romulans out-Romulaned. I.e., after signing the non-aggression pact, the Founders take advantage of the Romulans' insularity, infiltrate the RSE, and completely either take it over or destabilize it.

This would have the added bonus of nicely setting up the instability that led to the events of Nemesis.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

They did that already when they wiped out the RSE/CU fleet. They took out a lot of the Romulans top people. This no doubt would have opened a number of gaps to be later filled by the Remans.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Deepcrush wrote:They did that already when they wiped out the RSE/CU fleet. They took out a lot of the Romulans top people. This no doubt would have opened a number of gaps to be later filled by the Remans.
No they didn't - they crippled the Tal Shiar, but not the Romulan state as a whole. Their regular forces were still powerful enough that in the planning stages for 1st Chin'toka they were happy to let the Dominion to break against their defences.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

The Tal'Shiar as shown in a number of eps has a huge amount of control in the Romulan Government. Losing that would leave a gap. Losing anything that size would leave a gap in your C&C structure.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Deepcrush wrote:The Tal'Shiar as shown in a number of eps has a huge amount of control in the Romulan Government. Losing that would leave a gap. Losing anything that size would leave a gap in your C&C structure.
The TS had a lot of soft power, in that it's operatives could comandeer warships and it had great influence over the state, but it wasn't a fomal part of the Romulan C2 structure - the Senate and the fleet could easily continue operating without the Tal Shoar's presence.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

I wouldn't call TS a soft power. The whole being able to at random haul off people without question and what not. They act much like the SS, so calling them soft seems silly. Plus I never said that the RSE could run without them. I just said that it left a power gap that Shinzon would be able to nicely fill.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

The power gap Shinzon filled was caused by the deaths of all the Senators present when his thalaron gizmo went off, not the destruction of the TS fleet in the Omarian Nebula.

When I refer to 'soft' power I'm not refering to how influencial they are, but how the nature of their influence, has never been infered to be a formal role in the Romulan government. Therefore their deaths in the GQ would leave no hole in Romulan C2.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Alright, I can see where you're coming from on this.

My thoughts would be that if the TS were still around they would have caught onto his plans to kill off the senate.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Deepcrush wrote:My thoughts would be that if the TS were still around they would have caught onto his plans to kill off the senate.
The TS were still around - IAESL involved them to a significant degree. They were certainly hurt by TDiC, but they rebuilt.