Uniform fashion sense

The Next Generation

What was your favorite uniform style?

Enterprise jumpsuits?
4%
TOS colored tunics and pants (or mini skirts!!)?
4%
ST:TMP grey "pajama" styles?
No votes
ST II-VI classic wraparound tunics style?
61%
Early TNG jumpsuits (or mini skirts for men?!)?
4%
Standard TNG and Voyager colored tunics and slacks?
No votes
Early DS9 reverse colored tunics and slacks?
No votes
Late DS9 and TNG movie style colored tunics w\grey jacket and slacks?
29%

Total votes: 28
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Uniform fashion sense

Post by Graham Kennedy »

KuvahMagh wrote:Making males and females where the same uniform for equality is ridiculous, they both have a different anatomy and thus require a specific design...
Huh? They may require a different cut of clothing to accommodate the different body shape, but there's nothing about female anatomy that prevents them from wearing the same basic clothing design that men do.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

I liked the ST2 era uniforms. Nice blend of style and practicality.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
katefan
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by katefan »

The II-VI uniforms were the best, and I think their use during TNG's time was a cruel bastardization. Removing both the belt and turtleneck made them look ugly and imcomplete.

One of the (few) things I liked about Enterprise were the uniforms reminiscent of USN submarine jump suits. They were both functional and looked comfortable, unlike the initial TNG uniforms. I also loved the hats and both versions of the jackets, and the desert uniforms were all right. It was one of those things that gave the show a feel that it was taking place closer to our time than TOS' in some ways, and the use of jackets was pleasantly reminiscent of The Menagerie and TMP.

My least favorite would have to be TNG's season one and two's uniforms. Ugly and impractical, I was glad when they changed them in season three.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

DS9 had the best uniforms over all. None of theirs was bad and I think they first did the grey ones.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

The TOS-movie uniforms easily, followed by the FC ones, Enterprise, and the later TNG ones. The worst, obviously, were the early TNG uniforms - when the cast threatens mutiny if the design isn't changed, you know it's sh*t.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

The uniforms in YE and Living Witness are good even though they arent official.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Looks like we have a clear winner on this one.

Then again, they were the uniform of the Excelsior. And we all know how greatness just seems to follow that ship.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Does anybody have anykind of idea or speculation why they would so drastically (and so often) change a serviceable uniform, so completely? That has always baffeled me.
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Mark wrote:Does anybody have anykind of idea or speculation why they would so drastically (and so often) change a serviceable uniform, so completely? That has always baffeled me.
For the same reason that RL militaries change them so often: someone up high in the chain of cammonad is either a fool or wants to leave his mark.
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Or their cousin owns the compnay with the contract to produce them :lol:
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Post by Bryan Moore »

Cpl Kendall wrote:
Mark wrote:Does anybody have anykind of idea or speculation why they would so drastically (and so often) change a serviceable uniform, so completely? That has always baffeled me.
For the same reason that RL militaries change them so often: someone up high in the chain of cammonad is either a fool or wants to leave his mark.
The drastic change between the Movie/TNG era is the most startling. I can see the need for a jumpsuit, but christ that's a big change. The DS9 jumpsuits, however astetically unpleasing are very logical as are the greys, for an active crew. Perhaps most logical, especially on a station that was essentially being rebuilt.
Don't you hear my call, though you're many years away, don't you hear me calling you?
katefan
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by katefan »

Bryan Moore wrote:
Cpl Kendall wrote:
The drastic change between the Movie/TNG era is the most startling. I can see the need for a jumpsuit, but christ that's a big change. The DS9 jumpsuits, however astetically unpleasing are very logical as are the greys, for an active crew. Perhaps most logical, especially on a station that was essentially being rebuilt.
Yeah, the change was pretty startling. I recall in the FASA game their TNG sourcebook only had season one to work with so they filled in a lot of the blanks with a lot of speculation. Among them were a couple interim uniform designs (remember, this was before the bastardized II-VI uniforms were employed). The pair of designs gave an impression of a gradual employment of the one piece jumpsuit.

Personally I never had a problem with the TMP designs, I especially liked the short sleeve uniform Kirk had as well as the medical uniforms. but those utility jump suits! God, I did not need to see James Doohan's package (shudders).
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Post by Bryan Moore »

I could deal with his warp core, but didn't his dilithium crystals look shriveled? Err, I mean depleted? :shock:
Don't you hear my call, though you're many years away, don't you hear me calling you?
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Bear in mind that it's really easy for Starfleet to change their uniforms. Simply transmit the new design to the ships, they load it into the replicators, and next morning everyone replicates a new one. Not exactly a logistic burden.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

I made an Excelsior comment and Seafort didn't jump in? Wow, poor ol boy getting slow in his tired age. :lol:
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu