Action regarding Blackstar and Deepcrush

Important stuff, please read before posting
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Re: Action regarding Blackstar and Deepcrush

Post by Reliant121 »

True enough. But insulting someone based on their difference is discrimination is it not? Deeps only insulted me once by calling me dumb (i'm quite sensitive about mute people cause i have one somewhere in the family). But if he was to make comments referring to me as in emo, i would consider it discrimination. I'm sure Blackstar took it that way. Same as i would be INCREDIBLY pissed if he made a gay comment. I dont see it as being any different than the furry comments.

That said, she was the more extreme of the pair, plus has recieved prior warning and therefore deserves the banning.
KuvahMagh
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by KuvahMagh »

Its only a 1 week suspension, its not like Blackstar was banned for life and considering what he said and has said in the past it makes sense to me...
There may be times when we are powerless to prevent injustice, but there must never be a time when we fail to protest.
-Elie Wiesel

Dreaming in Color Living in Black and White, Sitting in a Grey Day Leaning on a Bright New Tomorrow.
-Billy Ray Cyrus
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

Try telling that to Blackstar :{

You know he/she/shi wont let this go when she comes back.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

I know shi won't. Myself, the mods and Graham are discussing this matter to try to find some way to let hir know that we're not out to get hir and to get hir to relax.

Regarding Deep:
Again, I'll state my thoughts that Deep's comment was meant as an insult against hir based on hir desire to be called and considered something shi isn't. If a guy joined the board pretending to be Captain Joe of the USS Whatever I have it in good faith that he'd insult him over that, too, but I wouldn't consider it discrimination.
In the past Deep has not indicated any particular hatred for other furry members of the board, such as Jabber, or the community in general. As such, I don't consider his insult to have been meant as a slight against all furries.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
KuvahMagh
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by KuvahMagh »

Reliant121 wrote:Try telling that to Blackstar :{

You know he/she/shi wont let this go when she comes back.
Any problem Blackstar has about this should be brought up to Graham & Ian since they run the Board and it is their call. Bringing it up in a Forum Topic would just open it up more and probably get more insults going which would be counter productive to the community and the situation itself.
There may be times when we are powerless to prevent injustice, but there must never be a time when we fail to protest.
-Elie Wiesel

Dreaming in Color Living in Black and White, Sitting in a Grey Day Leaning on a Bright New Tomorrow.
-Billy Ray Cyrus
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

I wouldnt say it is discriminatory so much as just an insult. To discriminate you have to show contempt for a group as a whole. But its kind of a moot point since it was still out of line.

Reading through that thread many of Deeps comments to me seem to be in jest. Even the "retarded kitty" comment probably meant partially in jest. Was Deep pissed off and throwing insults? Sure he was. Was he trying to be deliberatly hurtful... probably not, at least not from what I saw.

An insult is only and insult if someone finds in insulting... nope, can't fit "insult" into that sentence another time.

Deep calling Blackstar a retarded kitty is technically no different to Mikey calling me a Sheep shagger. The only difference is how it is taken by the person. Blackstar doesnt like insults about his fursona, I find jokes about sheep funny. With out knowing everyones personal boundaries its impossible to judge.

As Rochey pointed out this was a one in a number of instances that happened. Deep crossed a line which is hard to see and got a warning. Blackstar made a (and not the first) physical threat against a person.

There is also the fact that one of the threats was made not against Deep but Rochey who has been nothing but accommodating to Blackstars wish to be treated as a Chakat.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Deep calling Blackstar a retarded kitty is technically no different to Mikey calling me a Sheep shagger. The only difference is how it is taken by the person. Blackstar doesnt like insults about his fursona, I find jokes about sheep funny. With out knowing everyones personal boundaries its impossible to judge.
In addition to that, I'd like to point out the times that the "drunken Irish man" stereotype has been brought up. Personaly, I don't get drunk, and have no real desire to get drunk. When someone brings it up with regards to myself, I treat it as it's meant; as a joke.
There's also the innumerable amount of times that France's military prowess has been insulted. Despite what we constantly say about it, our comments are meant merely as jokes, with no real dislike towards the French meants.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

Point conceded.

And Blackstar has brought up points with Graham as far as i am aware. (shi talks to me on MSN concerning it).

but i agree with the decision and stand by it.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Yes, shi's emailed Graham. We're discussing the matter currently.
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

acknowledged.
Jabber Swarky
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by Jabber Swarky »

Fair points, guys, fair points.

Though, the whole "It was more a personal insult rather than discrimination" thing is a little wobbly, seeing as Blackstar is the only open furry I think deep's experienced on this Site. Though, fair enough, I havent really bumped into the guy, and there might be other furs around that I havent noticed that he's quite chummy with. Soo, yeah.

But, the whole "Its the reaction that matters" thing.. Well, i think, and 9 out of 10 British Judges agree, even if the comment was shrugged off it still counts as discrimination. I mean, look at that whole Big Brother N Word fiasco.
"Theres allways the March Hare... he's mad too, of course. Most people around here are. You may have noticed im not all there myself..."
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

As I've stated before, I've seen nothing to indicate that Deep has a problem with furries in general. If his comment had been "retarded furry" instead of "retarded kitty wannabe" then you'd have a point. However, the fact that his insults have always been clearly fixed on hir desire to be known as a chakat instead of the fact that shi's a furry lead me to believe that he doesn't have a problem with that community. Or if he does, he hasn't expressed it.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

I think the key point is the fact that Deep expressed, even if not intentionally or only in jest, the sentiment "I dislike you and you're a furry," NOT "I dislike you BECAUSE you're a furry." I don't know that Deep's comments even indicated a particular dislike for Blackstar; he seems to hand out insults equanimously, and obviously doesn't regard them with the same import as some of the recipients.

This is no way intended to say that I appreciate or like Deep's behavior all of the time; I'm merely suggesting that Deep's intentions are generally not the same as the recipient's inference.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

A good point. Deep doesn't really have any problem with letting loose a mass of insults at anyone and everyone who gets in his way, while most others are a bit more reserved as to who they insult. I think it's safe to say that virtualy everyone on the board has been on the recieving end of a barrage of insults from him over minor issues.

In a way, it's similar to types of weapons. Some of us treat insults as a sniper would his rifle, carefully picking their target and firing off one sharp, cutting insult. Deep, on the other hand, is like a manic machine-gunner, wildly blasting out a stream of insults at high speed with little consideration as to who gets into the line of fire, leaving a battlefield filled with wounded egos and hurt feelings.
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Captain Picard's Hair »

I'll simply note that I've only once purposefully insulted another member (and that I quickly edited the insult out of the post before it was read by the intended recipient). Anything else I've ever said is meant as a joke, and I think it's recognized that I generally stay out of trouble, myself.

As to this matter, I had not checked that thread before I saw this thread. I was myself the victim of a directed, purposeful attack on another forum as a "cat loving, solitary, insane geek," to paraphrase the remarks (the poster who made those comments has since gotten himself booted for other such acts of "assholery," as Graham puts it). Personally, I only replied with a "wow," or some reference as to how that comment was not called for. I've noticed the way Deep tends to toss about insults indiscriminately, hence I personally would not tend to take a comment from Deepcrush too seriously unless it went over the line, so to speak.

I had no knowledge of "furry" culture myself before encountering Blackstar, and I tend to regard it as more of a curiosity rather than a serious "perversion," much as the Trek-fandom we all share - unless one goes too far with it, of course.

I'll comment no further, as the matter is really one for the Kennedys, mods, and Blackstar hirself.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wonderous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross... but it's not for the timid." Q, Q Who