"I did that in highschool..."

Enterprise
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

"I did that in highschool..."

Post by Monroe »

In the season finale (or opener) for Season 1 (or two I forget) Archer is taken into the future and his way to get into the past is destroyed. His friend tells him that he made a temporal communicator in highschool...
This make anyone else wonder at the responsibility of the future Federation? I know a very few High schoolers I'd trust with that knowledge.
Crushproof
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Crushproof »

that part of the episode was pretty ridiculous anyway. That's like one me saying I learned how to make a HD TV from an 8 track player in secondary school.
"It is the way of all Empires, old Comrade, to fall prey to the next" ~Mirror Chekov
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

The idea of time manipulation is such a mind screw that its almost pointless to think about since they could come up with a million reasons why it wouldnt matter.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Time travel of any type just hurts my head. The best thing to do is not think about it. :)
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
stormturmoil
Crewman
Crewman

Post by stormturmoil »

This is why I think Voyager had the right attitude to time travel:

Janeway: What are you doing about Braxton?

Temporal agent: We've already got three of him in the brig

Janeway: this is why I hate temporal mechanics. Let's get out of here before my headache gets any worse...
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Yeah. Time travel's not something you can get non-chalant about... or even wrap your mind around it, no matter how many times you go through it.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

I wouldn't say Voyager handled time travel well. Look at all the problems they caused.

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

That's true. Admiral Janeway broke a few rules.

Transphasic Torpedoes seem like they come from more than just 20 years or so into the future. Wonder if she went into the future got them then went back into the past.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Personally I like to think of time travel as going into an alternate, but very similar, universe. Nearly everything is the same. This explains how you can muck about in the future or the past yet have nearly no reprucusions like they should have.
Just my thought.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Rochey wrote:Personally I like to think of time travel as going into an alternate, but very similar, universe. Nearly everything is the same. This explains how you can muck about in the future or the past yet have nearly no reprucusions like they should have.
Just my thought.
It also explains how destroying the equipment responsible for the changes causes the timeline to revert to normal (Year of Hell, Shockwave)
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Time travel is so hard to talk about because there is no rule the writers go by thus there is no way for us to define it as just one thing.

Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

I have to agree with Duglas Adams - I think the trickiest part of time travel is the grammar involved.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
sunnyside
Captain
Captain

Post by sunnyside »

Personally, while as a gimick once and a while time travel can be fun, I generally really dislike it. Totally killed Enterprise for me. Which is too bad because I'd liked it.

As for what they teach in high school I can actually see that. I mean I knew the basics of making an atomic weapon back in high school. And I remember people making crystal radios out of a rock and some other assorted stuff.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

As for what they teach in high school I can actually see that. I mean I knew the basics of making an atomic weapon back in high school.
:shock:
What class did you take!?
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

As for what they teach in high school I can actually see that. I mean I knew the basics of making an atomic weapon back in high school. And I remember people making crystal radios out of a rock and some other assorted stuff.
Wow - I thought my high school was pretty advanced - I mean, I was doing chip design and things like that, and I learned the basic structure and function of the two types of a-bombs used on Hiroshima and Nagasaki, but we sure didn't get lessons on how to construct one!

The fact is, sure - I made a crystal radio in sixth grade. But that is NOT analagous to a piece of tech from sometime well in the future - and jury-rigging it to boot!
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer