Under which Captain would you rather serve?

Trek Books, Games and General chat
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Re: Under which Captain would you rather serve?

Post by Aaron »

Reliant121 wrote:"her life could have been as full as anyones"

and you can go on not noticing. I think it is. my opinion.
Does an opinion make it valid? Have you watched the show? Kirk was actually a very progessive individual who felt every loss in his command and treated his crew with the respect they deserved regardless of sex. Personally I think people are putting to much stock in dialogue, OOOHHH! he said woman. Big deal, I address my wife as "woman" on occasion. Look at actions, then talk to me.
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

If i was heterosexual, i would never term my wife as "woman" but that is just me.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

My wife is a woman, and I'm glad of it.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

Thats not my point. Yes she may be, but i wouldnt refer to her as "woman".

I would call her by name.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Have you ever reffered to a friend as "man" or "that guy"? Same thing.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Reliant121 wrote:If i was heterosexual, i would never term my wife as "woman" but that is just me.
It's called humor. I use it extensively. People are hung up about dialogue, it's actions that are important. I address my wife as "woman" and "Titty Titty Bang Bang" occassionaly, big fucking deal. What's important is that the relationship is stable, supportive and loving. She also calls me a variety of bizzare and sexualy explict names.
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

Actually Rochey, i havent. I'm quite stoic and old fashioned in that respect.

Kendall: did i say you couldnt? No i f*cking didnt. so dont you get F*cking arsy with me becasue i would do something that you wouldnt. its personal opinion. And you may find that funny. i do not. Again, personal opinion.
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Post by Blackstar the Chakat »

It's not what you say, it's how you say it. Calling someone 'woman' is suggesting you don't have enough respect to call her by her name or title. If I dated someone who did that to me, I'd break up with them on the spot.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Very well, that's your choice. But I think you get my point: it's not what you say, it's how it's meant. I call students "kid" sometimes. Does that mean I have no respect for whomever I'm addressing?
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Post by Blackstar the Chakat »

Rochey wrote:
Very well, that's your choice. But I think you get my point: it's not what you say, it's how it's meant. I call students "kid" sometimes. Does that mean I have no respect for whomever I'm addressing?
I'd interpret that as a no respect type thing.
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Reliant121 wrote:Actually Rochey, i havent. I'm quite stoic and old fashioned in that respect.

Kendall: did i say you couldnt? No i f*cking didnt. so dont you get F*cking arsy with me becasue i would do something that you wouldnt. its personal opinion. And you may find that funny. i do not. Again, personal opinion.
Don't hide behind the shield of personal opinion. Come out and say what you really think because you are in fact condemning my actions with this dialogue. And then your cowering behind opinion.

Frankly I find the idea of people who have no knowledge of the subject matter expressing an "opinion" to be intensely amusing.

It's not what you say, it's how you say it. Calling someone 'woman' is suggesting you don't have enough respect to call her by her name or title. If I dated someone who did that to me, I'd break up with them on the spot.
HAHAHA! Don't be foolish, one can be in a stable relationship and do many things such as this without there being anything negative about it.
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

Not in your view. My opinion is, you should refer to someone by name. if you dont know it, then fine, cant be helped. Thats my opinion, and i will damn well defend it as my own.
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Reliant121 wrote:Not in your view. My opinion is, you should refer to someone by name. if you dont know it, then fine, cant be helped. Thats my opinion, and i will damn well defend it as my own.
Remember, you have your opinion and a right to it. You do not get to be free from arguement or mockery because it is an opinion. Free speech works both ways.
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

and i have not said that. I am demanding some bloody respect. In my mind, swearing at me and sarcasm "Its called humour" (i know what it frigging is) is demeaning, and is breaching respect. If you dont respect me or my opinion, dont talk to me. If you do, show it.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

I'd interpret that as a no respect type thing.
Perhaps, if that was the only interaction between him and I that you ever saw.

But say you're in the same class as that kid and you see that I do have a good respect for him and call him by his name most of the time. If I then said to him something like "good work, kid" would you deduce that my earlier actions are irrelevant and that I really have no respect for him at all?