Official DITL Miranda Class Starship Appreciation Thread

Trek Books, Games and General chat
I Am Spartacus
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Official DITL Miranda Class Starship Appreciation Thread

Post by I Am Spartacus »

This thread shall be devoted to praising the Miranda Class starship, hands down the best ship in Trek history. Sure she may not have the most firepower or defensive ability anymore, but she still rocks.

Here are some pictures demonstrating the greatness of Miranda Class.

Sleeker lines have yet to be seen in a Trek ship.

Best. Movie. Ever.

Single handedly saving the USS Defiant and keeping the series alive (Klingons be damned).

Closeup to show the awesomeness.

All the haters know where to go.

Discuss!
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Post by Bryan Moore »

I agree, it's a beautiful, sleek, graceful looking ship. Interesting in its use on DS9 as target practice, though. I always wondered if they could just drone a ship like that, as they were the redshirts of the mega-fleets in every major engagement. But with such grace, it was like redshirting Yeoman Rand!
Don't you hear my call, though you're many years away, don't you hear me calling you?
Tiberius
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by Tiberius »

I've always had a soft spot for the miranda Class. It is a great design!
Go and read my fan fic "The Hansen Diaries"! And leave comments!
I Am Spartacus
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by I Am Spartacus »

I have a bit of a problem with Graham Kennedy's breakdown of the class. He says that some have been converted into tankers/ammunition supply ships, when the vessel is way too small and with too limited an internal volume to carry a meaningful amount of fuel or ammunition. She's only 8 decks tall, and you'd have to pretty much gut all internal space to make room for supplies. It would be much cheaper to simply build a spacegoing cargo hold that happens to have a couple of engines and a bridge attached.
Tiberius
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by Tiberius »

But when you take into account the width and length of the ship, there would be quite a bit of interior volume, I think.

perhaps someone could work out the internal volume?
Go and read my fan fic "The Hansen Diaries"! And leave comments!
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

I like what someone else in the NX thread suggested that the Miranda be the successor to the NX class. Makes sense I think. Love the Miranda either way.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

Ha I always thought the MIranda was kinda boring. My favourite has always been the Nebula and Nova. Miranda is just boring.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

The Miranda always looked too flat to me, like there wasn't enough space to fit the warp core.

As for the most beautiful ship in Trek, how can you vote for anything but this:
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

I fins all the old ships plain and boring. No inspiration at all. When you look at a more modern trek ship I go "Owwwww thats pretty" Old ones are more like "Meh is that the best they could do?"
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

I find that the newer ships can be a bit too complicated and busy - the Steamrunner being one of the worst offenders. The refit Connie had an simple elegance that no subsequent ship has been able to capture. The original design was good, but I thought the nacelles and pylons looked a bit clunky. By sweeping back the pylons, giving the nacelles themselves a sleeker look, and sharpening the ship's lines around the bridge and the deflector dish, they produced what I consider to be the most beautiful ship in science fiction.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Captain Peabody
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by Captain Peabody »

I admit it; I'm a Miranda fan from way back. In my opinion one of the coolest ship classes out there....only made cooler by it's uses in DS9. Sure, they were cannon fodder, but there were so many of them! It was like a big Miranda-y wonderland!
:D

(ahem) Sorry. But, yeah, great ship.
"Lo, blessed are our ears for they have heard;
Yea, blessed are our eyes for they have seen:
Let the thunder break on man and beast and bird
And the lightning. It is something to have been."

-The Great Minimum, G.K. Chesterton
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

I quite like the Miranda. Its one of the few ships in Starfleet that looks like it was made by someone with an idea of how to build a warship.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
I Am Spartacus
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by I Am Spartacus »

Rochey wrote:I quite like the Miranda. Its one of the few ships in Starfleet that looks like it was made by someone with an idea of how to build a warship.
Totally. Nice and compact, with near total coverage from its weapons' firing arcs, it makes sense as a warship.
The Wormhole
Ensign
Ensign

Post by The Wormhole »

The Miranda is a cool looking ship. Always though so since the first time I saw TWOK.
Putting the manatee back in humanity.
Martin
Chief petty officer
Chief petty officer

Post by Martin »

Yes, another Miranda fan here, there's just something about the compact design that does it for me...