Episode Discussion: Stargate - the original movie

Varthikes
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Episode Discussion: Stargate - the original movie

Post by Varthikes »

After debating whether or not I should start an episode-by-episode discussion/review of the series, I decided what the hell.

Over time, I will post a separate thread for each episode, working my way through all ten seasons of SG1 and the first four or five seasons of SGA. As well as the movies. Everyone is welcomed to respond with their own comments, too, of course.

So, to start off...

=============================

Stargate
the original movie

Personally, I really love the original movie. Emmerich and Devlin did a terrific job with the writing and directing. And, the music is some of David Arnold's best, especially considering that this movie was his first theme work--at least, that's what I remembering hearing from Devlin and Emmerich in the commentary. The scene where O'Neil and Jackson first meet Ra always sends a shiver up my back whenever I watch it. But, I must wonder how those masks on Ra and his guards work. They seem to fold up into their skins or nothingness.

The language barrier between the team and Abydonians was nicely done, I think. Love the part where O'Neil is trying to find out where Daniel is from the Abydonian children. And, the Abydonians reacting to Daniel's Eye of Ra necklace.

Wonderfully dramatic action sequences toward the end, cutting between outside with the Death Gliders, inside the pyramid with O'Neil fighting Anubis, and Ra and Daniel on the ship.

Other highlights for me were the digging up the stargate, and then turning it on. It's nice to see the things that carried over into the series and were used in all ten seasons of SG1 and into SGA. Like the kahwoosh of the gate and the dialling screen for SGC.
"What has been done has been done and cannot be undone."--Ruth, All the Weyrs of Pern
"Dragons can't change who they are, and who would want them to? Dragons are powerful, amazing creatures."--Hiccup, Dragons: Riders of Berk
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Re: Episode Discussion: Stargate - the original movie

Post by Blackstar the Chakat »

I love the part where Danials figures out that they're speaking actually speaking ancient Egyption.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Technicaly, the movie isn't an episode. :P

But yeah, a great film.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

I like the movie but is often the case you remember the bad more than the good.

I didn't like the children in it. I felt they added a cheesyness factor I could have done with out.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Varthikes
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Varthikes »

Rochey wrote:Technicaly, the movie isn't an episode. :P
According to my dictionary, "episode" is defined as "an incident in a series of events or a narrative".

If it was just the movie by itself, then I'd agree. However, in context with the rest of the series, the term "episode" could apply. Just like the Star Wars movies are designated Episode I, II, III, etc.
"What has been done has been done and cannot be undone."--Ruth, All the Weyrs of Pern
"Dragons can't change who they are, and who would want them to? Dragons are powerful, amazing creatures."--Hiccup, Dragons: Riders of Berk
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Touché.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

I liked the original movie a lot. It was a B movie... but it just about transcended that with originality and clarity of concept. The idea of turning all the ancient egyptian stuff into super high technology was excellent, I thought. I thought Daniel the wimp was a bit overdone, and it was soo weird to see the guy off 3rd rock from the sun as a special forces type!

I read the book they wrote as a sequel, before the SG-1 series was made. Very interesting, very different take on the Stargate universe.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Varthikes
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Varthikes »

Trek crossover: Leon Rippy (General West) guest starred, for those who don't know, in TNG's "The Neutral Zone" as Sonny Clemens