If you could make your own Star Trek series...

Trek Books, Games and General chat
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

If you could make your own Star Trek series...

Post by Blackstar the Chakat »

Many people complain about the other series and how they don't like them and how they could've done better or how they would've made a better series. So here's your chance.

Me, I'd be a bit balsy by making a Star Trek series based on a civilian ship. Unlike all the other series based on ships or station in Starfleet the civilian angle is an open canves. And I have a few ideas on keeping it interesting. But I'm not telling you guys. Don't want anyone stealing my genius ideas.
Last edited by Sionnach Glic on Fri Aug 22, 2008 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed the faulty grammar in the title. It was bugging me.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Re: If you could make you're own Star Trek series...

Post by Mikey »

If you're not going to tell us, why did you make the thread?
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Post by Blackstar the Chakat »

Mikey wrote:If you're not going to tell us, why did you make the thread?
I want to hear your ideas. I'm not one to toot my own horn.
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

If I had to resurrect the show, it would be a format similiar to the new SW live action: a different focus every week. See what life is like for the average Fed citizen, on the Core Worlds and colonies, a few Maquis episodes etc.

I'd rather leave it to rest for a couple decades though. Then do the above.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

I'd set it 2400. Far enough removed from the TNG era that its not just a rehash but still close enough so things that happened then are still relivant. There would be vets of the war, the tech would have moved on a bit but not be a huge leap thus making them to powerful. A whole new range of starships but only one generation removed.

The local powers are still the same but have changed in their build up and politics.

It set it a strike force of maybe 20ish ships sent on a deep space exporation mission deep into the Beta Quadrant where something has been found of intrest. All the powers are interested in it and have their own units in the area in a "Peaceful" alliance.

I'd have it removed from the core Federation with a several year round trip to get back but there is still contact over time.

I'd forcus on some of the internal politics of the Federation. Show several groups forming as a result of the war. The peaceful and the military and the revenge groups.

I'd avoid just rehashing old ideas while still making it true to trek.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

I would set one on a Klingon/federation joint operations ship. just to make things interesting ;)
JudgeKing
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by JudgeKing »

See my fanfiction.
There is not a problem in this world that can't be solved without the proper application of a sufficient number of thermonuclear ordnance.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

I wrote up a series premise once....

Set in the future from the TNG era. I had the majority of our galaxy having been explored, and the major powers - Dominion, Federation, Borg, Klingons, Romulans - now sitting in something of a cold war. They all recognise that they don't get along too well (except for the Klingons who are still Federation allies), but all know that with the firepower they have a war would likely end up in a galaxy-wide all out conflict that would destroy the lot of them. So they decide to collaborate on a new project of exploration. The idea is to build one ship with a crew drawn from all the major powers. Partly it's built as a PR stunt to prove that they can all work together successfully; partly it's built to try and open up new frontiers for expansion beyond our own galaxy, the idea being that if everybody is expanding outwards then it will relieve some of the pressure at home.

The new ship is equipped with a transwarp drive courtesy of the Borg. Other details are up for discussion, but I think of it as being big and powerful, and possibly as the Enterprise-G, or H maybe. The crew would be a mix, as I said; a security department of Jem'Hadar, Klingons on tactical, Borg in engineering, Romulans, Humans. The ship would explore other galaxies around ours, periodically returning home before setting out again.

The advantages as I see it are that this premise lets you tell a lot of different types of story. It gives you the "exploring strange new worlds" aspect that TOS had, because that's the ship's basic mission. But since the ship will return home sometimes, you could also have political intrigue type stories of the sort that DS9 did. On board the ship itself you would have the opportunity for dramatic conflict between the crew with their different approaches to things.

It would be a very flexible way to tell stories. For instance you could introduce a new Big Bad species when you went to a new galaxy. But if the audience didn't like them, or they just didn't prove popular, then you just write the ship moving on to a new galaxy and leaving them behind. Whereas if they do prove popular you can expand on them just as easily. If you wanted a major conflict you could have the cold war in our galaxy turn hot; how would the ship's crew react to that? All sorts of interesting possibilities there.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

While that could partially work i dont see the Borg getting involved. They wouldnt want in and the other wouldnt want them.

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Like, Teaos, I'd set mine around 2400. For similar reasons.
Starfleet during the intervening years will have suffered a massive bout of sanity. IE, the ships will be designed somewhat competantly, though still keeping a Trek-ish feel.
The show would centre around the crew of one of Starfleet's newest rapid-response ship; a vessel designed to reach trouble zones quickly.
Said trouble could mean anything from pirates, political strife, anomaly of the week (though there'd be a hell of a lot less of those, I assure you), an incursion by hostile powers, or all sorts of other stuff. This would allow the show to vary in events.
There would be an on-going plot thread in each series.
The cast of characters would be larger and more varied. Somewhat similar to how nBSG did it, the audience would be familiar with people on the ship from all sorts of ranks and duties, not just the bridge officers.
Stuff has lasting consequences in this series. If the ship gets a hole blown through it in one ep, then it's not going to be perfectly fine the next ep unless it gets back to a repair facility somewhere.
Section 31 would make appearances, possibly being one of the on-going plot threads mentioned above.
The crew won't be pure as snow, they're military officers and will have to make some unpleasant choices here and again.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

They will form the first Galactic empire, safe and secure.

Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Nah.
That's season 5. :P
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
thelordharry
Captain
Captain

Post by thelordharry »

I'd set mine aboard a DeLorean stuck in 1985 and hang on, sorry, I'd set mine aboard the Timeship Relativity and see if they could go back in time and alter all the damage caused to the timeline by the NX01 :)
“To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and
the affection of children...to leave the world a better place...to
know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is
to have succeeded.”
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Any guesses about what I would do... :happydevil:
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Deepcrush wrote:Any guesses about what I would do... :happydevil:
The Dominion War take 2 - with Excelsiors filling the role of the Mirandas?
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.