YOU are hired to create ENT

Enterprise
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

YOU are hired to create ENT

Post by Sionnach Glic »

So, a simple enough thread in concept. Let's say that you're taken back in time to when ENT was still being created, and were given complete control of the entire show. You are in charge. Whatever you say goes.
How do you run Enterprise?
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Re: YOU are hired to create ENT

Post by Blackstar the Chakat »

I might change a few minor details like the Romulans having cloaking technology in that era, or explain it away as a one-off thing because of the Temporal Cold War. I'd probably have made the Temporal Cold War more prominant during the first two seasons and given it a more satisfying ending.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

1) The ship. No Akiraprises. For that matter, it shouldn't even be an Enterprise - I'd put the series aboard the United Nations Ship Dauntless. The Warp 5 engine can stay - that at least was a decent idea. Weapons would be nuclear missiles and "lasers" (in practice they don't need to be real lasers - predecessors of the "Cage" and WNMHGB weapons would suffice). They'd also be the first Earth ship (as opposed to planetary base or orbiting station) to be equipped with a transporter - cargo only.

2) The galaxy. 2153-ish. Humans are a local power, and on the up, but are definately not one of the Great Powers. They're allies of the Vulcans (real Vulcans, not evil ENT-Vulcans) who have taken them under their wing, sensing potential in humanity, and protect them from the local nasties (Andorians and Tellarites mainly, who form the Big Three with the Vulcans). These powers are to the "west" of Earth, per the general consensus of galactic cartography - the Beta Quadrent side of Earth is relatively sparsely populated, with areas of influence rather than species home space.

3) The mission. Dauntless is sent of into the unexplored region (Space, the Final Frontier, blah, blah, blah), to act as a trailblazer for human colonisation efforts. Generic adventures ensue. There is to be no proto-PD. Indeed, some episodes should involve the crew waltzing into industrialised countries (hi, we'r humans, here's some fancy new tech for you). This should blow up in their faces sometimes, work to their great advantage other times. Basically what Graham suggests in his Enterprise Ramblings.

4) War number one. The Dauntless runs into trouble (probably the season 1 or 2 finale) with a new alien race (not the Romulans, one we've seen before as part of the Federation). The resulting war will probably last for the next season, with no other species involved - this shows that humans can deal with space without the Vulcans holding their hands. The result is Earth becoming the fourth Great Power, and new-found respect from all and sundry.

5) More exploring. More cautious this time - they've had their fingers burnt, and they've also come back to some of the industrial planets they visited previously to find them trashed, courtesy of Dauntless-supplied technology. By this time they're getting indictationsof an agressive alien race in this part of space, largely wrecked ships and industructions to avoid given areas.

6) Contact. They're exploring a system when unidentified ships with raptor markings on their bellies drop out of warp and order their surrender. No prizes for guessing who these jokers are. When this is refused, they attack. They're fought off, but Dauntless has to do a runner. Damaged, a couple of episodes are spent doing repairs, probing, and figuring out that there are a lot of these ships about (they're boarder patrol ships BTW, not front-line warships). A newly established colony is also attacked, and the Dauntless helps defend and then evacuate it.

7) The Romulan War. Basically the Dominion War rehashed, with the fortune of war swaying first one way, then the other. It should be made clear that Earth is taking the brunt, but the other powers are playing their part, either with logistic support, fighting Romulan allies, or providing task groups to reinforce Earth forces. The decisive engagement is the Battle of Charon, where a Romulan invasion is smashed, and remaining forces withdraw to a preprepared defensive line inside the Empire.

8) Aftermath. The Romulan line is too strong to break, but Earth and her allies have the numerical and technological edge, so a peace treaty is negotiated by subspace (as a general note, showing Romulans is probably a must, but only in the context of internal discussions or spies masquerading as Vulcans). By this time the allies have formed a unified command structure, a la the Combined Chiefs of Staff Comittee, and negotiations have lead to an extremely closely linked political decision-making system. The latter half/two thids of season 7 is dedicated to negotiations to form the UFP, with the signing of the treaty occuring in the final episode, Dauntless heading off in the final scene, decomissioned and then recommissioned as the USS Dauntless NCC-01.

So, whatdya think?
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

That's actualy fairly similar to what I had in mind.
Though I'd show a lot of turmoil flaring up with the UFP's creation among the member races. Military ships mutinying, rebelions here and there, an ocasional planet trying to secede, etc.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

Isn't this our dozenth thread on this?
How many Minbari does it take to screw in a lightbulb?
None. They always surrender right before they finish the job and never tell you why.

-Remain Star Trek-
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Captain Seafort wrote:1) The ship. No Akiraprises. For that matter, it shouldn't even be an Enterprise - I'd put the series aboard the United Nations Ship Dauntless. The Warp 5 engine can stay - that at least was a decent idea. Weapons would be nuclear missiles and "lasers" (in practice they don't need to be real lasers - predecessors of the "Cage" and WNMHGB weapons would suffice). They'd also be the first Earth ship (as opposed to planetary base or orbiting station) to be equipped with a transporter - cargo only.

2) The galaxy. 2153-ish. Humans are a local power, and on the up, but are definately not one of the Great Powers. They're allies of the Vulcans (real Vulcans, not evil ENT-Vulcans) who have taken them under their wing, sensing potential in humanity, and protect them from the local nasties (Andorians and Tellarites mainly, who form the Big Three with the Vulcans). These powers are to the "west" of Earth, per the general consensus of galactic cartography - the Beta Quadrent side of Earth is relatively sparsely populated, with areas of influence rather than species home space.

3) The mission. Dauntless is sent of into the unexplored region (Space, the Final Frontier, blah, blah, blah), to act as a trailblazer for human colonisation efforts. Generic adventures ensue. There is to be no proto-PD. Indeed, some episodes should involve the crew waltzing into industrialised countries (hi, we'r humans, here's some fancy new tech for you). This should blow up in their faces sometimes, work to their great advantage other times. Basically what Graham suggests in his Enterprise Ramblings.

4) War number one. The Dauntless runs into trouble (probably the season 1 or 2 finale) with a new alien race (not the Romulans, one we've seen before as part of the Federation). The resulting war will probably last for the next season, with no other species involved - this shows that humans can deal with space without the Vulcans holding their hands. The result is Earth becoming the fourth Great Power, and new-found respect from all and sundry.

5) More exploring. More cautious this time - they've had their fingers burnt, and they've also come back to some of the industrial planets they visited previously to find them trashed, courtesy of Dauntless-supplied technology. By this time they're getting indictationsof an agressive alien race in this part of space, largely wrecked ships and industructions to avoid given areas.

6) Contact. They're exploring a system when unidentified ships with raptor markings on their bellies drop out of warp and order their surrender. No prizes for guessing who these jokers are. When this is refused, they attack. They're fought off, but Dauntless has to do a runner. Damaged, a couple of episodes are spent doing repairs, probing, and figuring out that there are a lot of these ships about (they're boarder patrol ships BTW, not front-line warships). A newly established colony is also attacked, and the Dauntless helps defend and then evacuate it.

7) The Romulan War. Basically the Dominion War rehashed, with the fortune of war swaying first one way, then the other. It should be made clear that Earth is taking the brunt, but the other powers are playing their part, either with logistic support, fighting Romulan allies, or providing task groups to reinforce Earth forces. The decisive engagement is the Battle of Charon, where a Romulan invasion is smashed, and remaining forces withdraw to a preprepared defensive line inside the Empire.

8) Aftermath. The Romulan line is too strong to break, but Earth and her allies have the numerical and technological edge, so a peace treaty is negotiated by subspace (as a general note, showing Romulans is probably a must, but only in the context of internal discussions or spies masquerading as Vulcans). By this time the allies have formed a unified command structure, a la the Combined Chiefs of Staff Comittee, and negotiations have lead to an extremely closely linked political decision-making system. The latter half/two thids of season 7 is dedicated to negotiations to form the UFP, with the signing of the treaty occuring in the final episode, Dauntless heading off in the final scene, decomissioned and then recommissioned as the USS Dauntless NCC-01.

So, whatdya think?
:shock: Okay........you really need a hobby...or more hobbys...or a girlfriend. Seriously, how much time did you spend on this.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

ChakatBlackstar wrote: :shock: Okay........you really need a hobby...or more hobbys...or a girlfriend. Seriously, how much time did you spend on this.
About half an hour - started when I first read Rochey's post and it's basically just stream of consciousness writing. I started with the intention of just putting up the ship and the local galactic politics, but it sort of grew.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Isn't this our dozenth thread on this?
Is it? I know that last year I posted a 'what would you do if you were given control of Trek' thread, but I'm not sure if we did a specific 'what would you do with ENT' one. Then again, we probably did do one. *shrug*
KuvahMagh
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by KuvahMagh »

It never hurts to remind ourselves why Enterprise sucked and toss around random Trek related ideas.
There may be times when we are powerless to prevent injustice, but there must never be a time when we fail to protest.
-Elie Wiesel

Dreaming in Color Living in Black and White, Sitting in a Grey Day Leaning on a Bright New Tomorrow.
-Billy Ray Cyrus
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

And in the end, isn't that what this forum is all about? :P
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

KuvahMagh wrote:It never hurts to remind ourselves why Enterprise sucked and toss around random Trek related ideas.
That's so overdone. Hey, let's remind ourselves why The Next Generation sucked and toss around random Trek related ideas!
KuvahMagh
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by KuvahMagh »

ChakatBlackstar wrote:
KuvahMagh wrote:It never hurts to remind ourselves why Enterprise sucked and toss around random Trek related ideas.
That's so overdone. Hey, let's remind ourselves why The Next Generation sucked and toss around random Trek related ideas!
I don't know about anyone else but personally I enjoy discussing Trek, especially when it comes to poor trek and discussing ways it could be improved. Thats why I joined this Forum, so in answer to Rochey's statement, to me yes it is why the forum exists.

Back to the main point, Seafort covered most of what I would have liked to see, most of the differences between what he would and done and what I would do are in the very minor details it seems. The only big one I can really think of is that his ship would be the first Human ship, Warp 5 is a big jump, I would have had a few other classes before hand although they would be almost totally light defence or cargo ships to support colonies in the Sol System.
There may be times when we are powerless to prevent injustice, but there must never be a time when we fail to protest.
-Elie Wiesel

Dreaming in Color Living in Black and White, Sitting in a Grey Day Leaning on a Bright New Tomorrow.
-Billy Ray Cyrus
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

KuvahMagh wrote:Back to the main point, Seafort covered most of what I would have liked to see, most of the differences between what he would and done and what I would do are in the very minor details it seems. The only big one I can really think of is that his ship would be the first Human ship, Warp 5 is a big jump, I would have had a few other classes before hand although they would be almost totally light defence or cargo ships to support colonies in the Sol System.
I'm not saying it would be the first ship, but it would be the first long-range cruiser. By this point I'd expect humans to be one of the lesser powers of the AQ, filling a similar position to the Cardassians during TNG. You might be misreading the point that it would be the first ship with a transporter.
KuvahMagh
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by KuvahMagh »

Captain Seafort wrote:
KuvahMagh wrote:Back to the main point, Seafort covered most of what I would have liked to see, most of the differences between what he would and done and what I would do are in the very minor details it seems. The only big one I can really think of is that his ship would be the first Human ship, Warp 5 is a big jump, I would have had a few other classes before hand although they would be almost totally light defence or cargo ships to support colonies in the Sol System.
I'm not saying it would be the first ship, but it would be the first long-range cruiser. By this point I'd expect humans to be one of the lesser powers of the AQ, filling a similar position to the Cardassians during TNG. You might be misreading the point that it would be the first ship with a transporter.
Ah I see, my misunderstanding, in that case I would be pretty much willing to give you a blank cheque to make Ent.
-Elie Wiesel

-Billy Ray Cyrus
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

I was going to do a long list of thing to change but instead I'll just say this:

I agree with Seafort.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.