WTF? Dolphins and whales on the E-D?

The Next Generation
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Re: WTF? Dolphins and whales on the E-D?

Post by Blackstar the Chakat »

stitch626 wrote:
ChakatBlackstar wrote:
stitch626 wrote:Using thrusters in intersteller space for travel is like using ores on an aircraft carrier.
Except you'd be using ores as a method of propulsion. On a starship the RCS thrusters used to control the direction of travel at sublight speed. That's canon. If you cut impulse the thruster can still be used to control drift.
What the thrusters control is pitch, bank, and yaw. Using them to control the direction of travel in its entirey is wasteful.
That's the idea behind thrusters, to control the direction.
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

What I'm saying is: all thrusters can practically do in deep space is control the direction of pointing, not the direction of movement. Say a ship is drifting in a northward direction and they want to go east. Using only thrusters, they would have to turn the ship (which is a rotation and does not change the direction of movement, and is not really a problem) and then stop the ship from moving in the north direction and start it moving in the east direction. It may not seem like a big deal but the fuel costs would be enormous.
It would be like using a lego propeller to move a real life boat. It is inefficient.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Exactly. Thrusters would control the facing, but actually accelerating - meaning changing either the speed or direction component of velocity - with thrusters and not impulse engines would be ridiculously impractical, if even possible at all.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

Well, not a problem for shuttle craft, but for a starship...
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

stitch626 wrote:Well, not a problem for shuttle craft, but for a starship...
If thruster power was in proportion to the size of the ship, it wouldn't be a problem. They wouldn't be moving very fast, but the idea is they used impulse to get up to speed, then they let the ship drift with impulse power set to minimum or off to reduce the amount of interference on sensors.
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

But there is no proof that impulse engines interfere with sensors. And you may not have seen my post a bit higher, thrusters are fine for changing direction of pointing but not good for changing direction of movement.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

If thruster power was in proportion to the size of the ship, it wouldn't be a problem. They wouldn't be moving very fast, but the idea is they used impulse to get up to speed, then they let the ship drift with impulse power set to minimum or off to reduce the amount of interference on sensors.
How many times does it have to be pointed out that you have not proven that impulse engnies emit interference for the subspace sensors? And before you say it "subspace sensors should recieve interference from subspace systems" is not proof.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Rochey wrote:
How many times does it have to be pointed out that you have not proven that impulse engnies emit interference for the subspace sensors? And before you say it "subspace sensors should recieve interference from subspace systems" is not proof.
How should I put it then...from what we've seen in Star Trek the sensors search for energy right? So the energy emitted by the ship would show up on the scanners. That takes up computer computation that could be used analyzing signals further out. And you can't just rewrite the code to ignore your own ship's emmissions because that could ingnore similar emissions by accident, or ignore someone or something hiding in it's shadow. By reducing the energy output it reduces the energy showing up on the scanner, making it easier to spot other energy signatures.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Then why have they never once in the entire show turned off their engines to scan for another ship, even when doing so should, by your logic, have been advantageous? Face it: we have no indication that engines interfere with sensors, and plenty of indication that they don't.
Ergo, engines do not cause interference in sensors. Case closed.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Rochey wrote:Then why have they never once in the entire show turned off their engines to scan for another ship, even when doing so should, by your logic, have been advantageous? Face it: we have no indication that engines interfere with sensors, and plenty of indication that they don't.
Ergo, engines do not cause interference in sensors. Case closed.
FYI, when you go "Case Closed" that makes you look like an asshole, not to mention it increases the chances of me taking up the arguement.

And while we haven't seen any indication other then this one case with the Saratoga. But think about it, most of the ships we see on a regular basis were eitheer to of the line starships like the Enterprise, or 100 years more advanced where sensors would be far more advanced.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

ChakatBlackstar wrote:*snip waffle*
Blackstar it would really help your case if, when asked to provide evidence of something, or when someone makes a solid case against your position., you didn't go off on one of these woe-is-me tangents that do nothing except make you look like a bad loser. All you're doing is giving off extremely strong "I'm getting the sh*t kicked out of me and I'm trying to distract everyone from that fact" vibes.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Captain Seafort wrote:
ChakatBlackstar wrote:*snip waffle*
Blackstar it would really help your case if, when asked to provide evidence of something, or when someone makes a solid case against your position., you didn't go off on one of these woe-is-me tangents that do nothing except make you look like a bad loser. All you're doing is giving off extremely strong "I'm getting the sh*t kicked out of me and I'm trying to distract everyone from that fact" vibes.
I have no idea what you're talking about. You must be imagining things
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

ChakatBlackstar wrote:I have no idea what you're talking about. You must be imagining things
I'll say it more simply then: shut the f*ck up before you make yourself look even more stupid than you already do.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

FYI, when you go "Case Closed" that makes you look like an asshole,
Does it look like I give a damn? The case is closed, regardless of what you think.
not to mention it increases the chances of me taking up the arguement.
Which makes you look pretty damn stupid when you do so and don't have any evidence. Which is pretty much all the time.
And while we haven't seen any indication other then this one case with the Saratoga.
Wow, what brilliantly circular logic.
You: "The Saratoga had its engines off."
Us: "Why?"
You: "Because the engines interfere with sensors."
Us: "Prove it."
But think about it, most of the ships we see on a regular basis were eitheer to of the line starships like the Enterprise, or 100 years more advanced where sensors would be far more advanced
What part of PROVE YOUR CLAIMS do you have trouble understanding? Either provide evidence, or stop being stubborn and concede the point.
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

I'll say it more simply then: shut the f*ck up before you make yourself look even more stupid than you already do
Perhaps you should do something constructive for a change.
Rochey wrote:
FYI, when you go "Case Closed" that makes you look like an asshole,
Does it look like I give a damn? The case is closed, regardless of what you think.
not to mention it increases the chances of me taking up the arguement.
Which makes you look pretty damn stupid when you do so and don't have any evidence. Which is pretty much all the time.
And while we haven't seen any indication other then this one case with the Saratoga.
Wow, what brilliantly circular logic.
Us: "Why?"
You: "Because the engines interfere with sensors."
Us: "Prove it."
But think about it, most of the ships we see on a regular basis were eitheer to of the line starships like the Enterprise, or 100 years more advanced where sensors would be far more advanced
What part of PROVE YOUR CLAIMS do you have trouble understanding? Either provide evidence, or stop being stubborn and concede the point.
Stubborn to the last I see. I've never been good at explaining basic stuff, and you're clearly too stubborn to even look at the possibility, so this conversation will probably end up in one of the usual circle arguments. So to save time, I'll let it go.

Perhaps you, Rochey, can explain for us then why the Saratoga didn't move away from the probe if it's impulse drive was on. Logically if you encounter a potential threat like that you'd reverse course and study the data to decide on your next move, not fly right at it. This suggests that for whatever reason the impulse drive was offline. Or the captain was an incompetent idiot.