Why is Picard... French?

The Next Generation
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Re: Why is Picard... French?

Post by Captain Picard's Hair »

I'd take that class if I were an actor.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wonderous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross... but it's not for the timid." Q, Q Who
Thorin
Captain
Captain

Post by Thorin »

Mikey wrote:Does that mean he has to teach a class? :lol:
Well, he is the Chancellor too, so he can do what the hell he wants :wink:
Saying that he actually does do lectures more often than you'd suspect.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

That's great to hear - my already high opinion of him just went up.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

As did mine.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Chris Propst
Senior chief petty officer
Senior chief petty officer

Post by Chris Propst »

Well, he's French but culturally British and we know that he has Spanish ancestry.
This is really nothing unusual; it's not like different nationalities don't have huge overlap with the ancestries of others. Just read about the genetic ancestry tests. Plus, it's the 24th century, people are probably multicultural.
We already have plenty of people that consider themselves bi-cultural, especially when you consider Western Europe.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Indeed, but it's still rather bizzare to hear someone with a strong British accent being called French. Why not just call him English?
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Because then you'd loose the comedy inherent in a Frenchman singing Hearts of Oak and bragging about Trafalgar. :lol:
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

:lol:
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

touche.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Oddly enough, for a Frenchman, Picard never surrendered the big E. Rather unrealistic if you ask me :twisted:
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
kostmayer
Captain
Captain

Post by kostmayer »

Um, didn't he surrender to Q in the first episode? Right after they seperate the saucer section.
"You ain't gonna get off down the trail a mile or two, and go missing your wife or something, like our last cook done, are you?"
"My wife is in hell, where I sent her. She could make good biscuits, but her behavior was terrible."
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Aww crap. I forgot about that that. Yep, he's french.
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Lazar
Captain
Captain

Post by Lazar »

Rochey wrote:Indeed, but it's still rather bizzare to hear someone with a strong British accent being called French. Why not just call him English?
I know, I was never able to figure that out. TOS made more of an effort to depict Terran characters with realistic accents from their native countries, but I guess they just gave up on that. And didn't Picard's family have French accents, further complicating things?

More generally, a problem that I have with Star Trek - and with a lot of science fiction - is that they're depicting a universe in which humanity is united, but the human characters are overwhelmingly American, or to a lesser extent European. I see this all the time in American science fiction, and I'm like, when did 80-90% of the world's population suddenly become American? Realistically, huge portions of the crew should be East Asian, South Asian, African, etc, with Americans only being a modest minority. Bernd Schneider wrote a thing about this.
"There was also a large horse in the room, taking up most of it."
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

As I have said with Globalisation in the future we may not have accents anymore.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

I always find it surprising that there's no difference in accents between someone from Earth, and someone from a far flung colony. Over a couple of centuries some difference should start cropping up.