Weapons and equipment of the Dominion

Deep Space Nine
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Re: Weapons and equipment of the Dominion

Post by Aaron »

Mikey wrote:The "houdinis" definitely SHOULD have been intended, and were more combat-effective, as psychological weapons rather than denial weapons as are "modern" mines.
I think that was the intention and the writers screwed the pooch, they didn't kill anywhere near enough people for a combat weapon. One or two modern mines could have wiped out that entire position if emplaced properly. The troops were scared of them but obviously not enough to be effective even as a psychological weapon. The Jemmies should have played Celine Dion in their direction for a few weeks, that would crack even the most bitter combat Vet.
sunnyside
Captain
Captain

Post by sunnyside »

So it seems like Jemmies can cloak so long as they don't shoot, attack, or generally otherwise interact much with the rest of the world. (Possible if it would interfeer with a field they have to generate).

Any evidence they can hustle while under the effects of the cloak or is it that they have to pay attention and move at a slower pace? Or is that just left open? That actually could make for an interesting unit tactically.
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

sunnyside wrote:So it seems like Jemmies can cloak so long as they don't shoot, attack, or generally otherwise interact much with the rest of the world. (Possible if it would interfeer with a field they have to generate).

Any evidence they can hustle while under the effects of the cloak or is it that they have to pay attention and move at a slower pace? Or is that just left open? That actually could make for an interesting unit tactically.

Hippocratic Oath shows several Jemmies moving off at a trot and then shrouding. As does To the Death.

The Jem'Hadar also indicates that they can pass through anti-personnel sheilds. MA credits this to their uniforms, which makes more sense than it being genetic.
sunnyside
Captain
Captain

Post by sunnyside »

Did the shield things still work after they generally worked out how to make shields stop Dominion weaponry? But so that's pretty doable in game terms. They're an infantry unit that can cloak if it doesn't shoot or assault in a turn. Equiped with either their poison rifles or Halberds and pistols. That could also explain why we don't ever see them using vehicles or heavy weapons, since vehicles wouldn't take advantage of their cloak and heavy weapons might prevent them from cloaking(there has to be some limit to how much they can cloak).

Did they ever use a grenade or something?
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

sunnyside wrote:Did the shield things still work after they generally worked out how to make shields stop Dominion weaponry?
I think it was only in one episode actually.
But so that's pretty doable in game terms. They're an infantry unit that can cloak if it doesn't shoot or assault in a turn. Equiped with either their poison rifles or Halberds and pistols. That could also explain why we don't ever see them using vehicles or heavy weapons, since vehicles wouldn't take advantage of their cloak and heavy weapons might prevent them from cloaking(there has to be some limit to how much they can cloak).
I always thought that the lack of vehicles in Trek was a doctrine choice (IU mind), they seem to favour the transporter for mobility. I think we all know how that works out but I won't derail the thread with a rant.

Did they ever use a grenade or something?
Not that I recall. I've only seen grenades in ENT.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

And in TOS - Kirk used the mortar-thingie, which supposedly fired standard photon grenades.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Mikey wrote:And in TOS - Kirk used the mortar-thingie, which supposedly fired standard photon grenades.
It was definetly a mortor, those things were really to big to carry around and use as a grenade. Not to mention a grenade that can supposably destroy a city block is frankly ridiculous as an infantry weapon. Blue on blue is bad.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Cpl Kendall wrote:
Mikey wrote:And in TOS - Kirk used the mortar-thingie, which supposedly fired standard photon grenades.
It was definetly a mortor, those things were really to big to carry around and use as a grenade. Not to mention a grenade that can supposably destroy a city block is frankly ridiculous as an infantry weapon. Blue on blue is bad.
I didn't say it made sense, I only said what I thought was on-screen.
as Bull offed Custer
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Mikey wrote:
I didn't say it made sense, I only said what I thought was on-screen.
I know, sometimes it's hard not to try and rationalise what you see in the episode. :wink:
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

You'd hope the future would have weapons slightly better than a mortar.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Teaos wrote:You'd hope the future would have weapons slightly better than a mortar.
Have you ever seen a show called Star Trek? :wink:
as Bull offed Custer
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Teaos wrote:You'd hope the future would have weapons slightly better than a mortar.
What's wrong with a mortar? Perfectly good weapon. I would hope the future would have an intelligently designed mortar, not that...abomination.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Now its a good weapon. I imagin in the future they would have something that can get to exactly the right location and deliver exactly the right amount of destruction with out causing any damage to others. Fire one into a room full of hostages and only kill the bad guys.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

That's great, but a future mortar would have to do the same job as a modern one - which has NOTHING to do with a room full of hostages.
as Bull offed Custer
sunnyside
Captain
Captain

Post by sunnyside »

On a side note I think modern mortars are getting to be a bit on the big size as opposed to the little things from wars past. Hurling pretty big shells over pretty far distances.